The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The literature exams involve presentation of a few lines of Latin, then you answer comprehension about them. Then you get a translation of some lines, then there are different essays (one 8 marker and one 10 marker for prose, I think two 10 markers and one 8 marker for verse).

Once you know vocab, I'd advise using books like Momentum Tests and guide to GCSE Latin to help with extra niggly things which will move you up to an a*, such as differences in nonne and num, verbs of fear etc

:smile:
Original post by hines
The literature exams involve presentation of a few lines of Latin, then you answer comprehension about them. Then you get a translation of some lines, then there are different essays (one 8 marker and one 10 marker for prose, I think two 10 markers and one 8 marker for verse).

Once you know vocab, I'd advise using books like Momentum Tests and guide to GCSE Latin to help with extra niggly things which will move you up to an a*, such as differences in nonne and num, verbs of fear etc

What are the main things you should mention in the essays?
Reply 22
An 8 mark essay is just about characters and storylines, so for example one for the Aeneid was "how does Virgil convey the idea of troys destruction" so you would structure it in paragraphs and talk about similes, death etc
10 mark essays must have Latin quoted in and you'll get an extract from the text. They give you a question and 3 bullet points you have to talk about and you have to write about all of them including style points which are quoted to get full marks
How many points should we do per bullet point... my Greek teacher says we should do one point on word placement, one on word choice and one on stylistic features per bullet point, for a total of 9 points for 10 marks; is this too much?
Reply 24
Seems a bit specific... You don't always know what you're going to get when the extract comes up in the paper... It's best just learning all of the style points you can, and then when you get to the exam, write them around the extract. The bullet points just act as a guide through the extract so you can expand on the question, so just make sure what you write for each one is even, and basically write as much as you can.
Reply 25
My teacher recently told us that the papers have been changed so there are 2 bullet points that are there as guidance but you no longer *have* to include these points in your answer. Apparently there's only 1 10 mark question in both the literature papers now and when I did that format in my verse mock, timing was so much better!
Reply 26
Ahhh I'm panicking- I had to self teach myself the whole Germanicus and Piso, Pythius, and Clodia set texts. :eek: Does anybody have any revision tips? My teacher said just memorize all of the translation :/
Reply 27
Original post by Tweak6
Ahhh I'm panicking- I had to self teach myself the whole Germanicus and Piso, Pythius, and Clodia set texts. :eek: Does anybody have any revision tips? My teacher said just memorize all of the translation :/

You need to be able to match the Latin words to the English translation not just be able to chant the English off by heart because you have to translate your quotes in the 10 mark questions.

I learn the set texts by reading translation several times, then learning what words match up and their meaning and then test myself with just the Latin.
Reply 28
Original post by 123xxx
My teacher recently told us that the papers have been changed so there are 2 bullet points that are there as guidance but you no longer *have* to include these points in your answer. Apparently there's only 1 10 mark question in both the literature papers now and when I did that format in my verse mock, timing was so much better!

I've found no evidence for that whatsoever on the OCR website, and there was no change in the January 2012 paper so I'm not sure to believe that.

To revise for the texts, just make sure you learn them (keep reading over, recognise latin words) and then at the same time, read your style points. They should then come together hand in hand in your memory.
Reply 29
Original post by hines
I've found no evidence for that whatsoever on the OCR website, and there was no change in the January 2012 paper so I'm not sure to believe that.

They don't have any literature exams in January! On the specimen verse paper below the phrasing on the 10 mark question is 'you may wish to consider the following points' and there's only 1 10 mark question on both the sections you can choose to do.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/assess_mat/ocr_8369_sam_unit_a404h.pdf
Reply 30
There was a possibility of early entry. Unless that was just language.

Spoken to my teacher, theres definitely been no change. Prose has 1 8 mark and 1 10 mark. Verse has 1 8 mark and 2 10 marks.

That's a specimen paper and contains questions for all of the verse possibilities. Since then there have been 2 exams, both of which have 3 bullet points to choose from.
Reply 31
for my lit exam ive got to learn pliny, suetonous, livy, virgil, persius, horace and lucan. is anyone else doing that?
Original post by hines
There was a possibility of early entry. Unless that was just language.

Spoken to my teacher, theres definitely been no change. Prose has 1 8 mark and 1 10 mark. Verse has 1 8 mark and 2 10 marks.

That's a specimen paper and contains questions for all of the verse possibilities. Since then there have been 2 exams, both of which have 3 bullet points to choose from.

I thought there were 2 10markers on prose
That was for June 11?
Reply 33
Original post by thetejmaster
I thought there were 2 10markers on prose

You're right there! I had forgotten that the department didn't include the 2 short stories in to my mock paper - so there's one 1 8 and 1 10 for the main prose text, and then more for the other two.

Reply 34
Any tips on learning stylistic features? I'm ok with memorising translations, it's just remembering all the little details and points for the 10markers I struggle with...
Original post by darkducki
Any tips on learning stylistic features? I'm ok with memorising translations, it's just remembering all the little details and points for the 10markers I struggle with...

Wing it in the exam.
Reply 36
Original post by ZakariaMar
how many of you have this. I have language 1, 2 and for prose my class studied a yellow textbook consisting of pliny, livy and suetonius (talking about ghosts, caesar and romulus respectively); for verse we did the aeneid book 2.

I'm doing this exact same combo :biggrin:....not looking forward to it though! How are you finding it?
Reply 37
Original post by darkducki

Me too, I have no idea what I'm going to write!
Reply 38
I'm doing vigil for verse and clodia, pythius, Germanicus & piso for prose. Anyone doing same/similar??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 39
Original post by dhesi4662
I'm doing this exact same combo :biggrin:....not looking forward to it though! How are you finding it?

I really prefer the aeneid book, the yellow book is just so tiresome!

I hope I'll find the first 2 easy, I'm quite bad at grammar but my vocab knowledge is very good, I know almost all of them (I never usually use flashcards but they're very good in latin if you aren't using them u should)

And finally to answer your question I'm finding it quite manageable, I just hope I don't have a really bad exam on friday; that'll ruin my whole confidence for the remaining ones

So what grade are you aiming for?

Quick Reply

Latest