The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99
Wow, someone has an as level in economics.

Wow, someone has an A level in critical thinking.
Original post by function
Firstly i should have mentioned that i am a smoker. Secondly thanks for taking the time to reply.
I think i used the wrong word by saying smokers impede the liberty of others. What i meant to say was they impose social costs on others without explicit consent from those parties. This is not a categorically bad thing since it allows smokers to preserve their own liberty but it seems many smokers are intentionally ignorant to this fact when engaging in debate. Hence why i mention the hypocrisy of it.
I am also aware that smokers put more into the NHS budget than they take out. It can even be argued that because of this any external cost they impose are in actuality 'paid for'. However can the price of smoking accurately reflect any such costs to a meaningful extent? If you believe it can't then then it follows that you shouldn't smoke. If however you believe that the price makes up for the costs of your consumption then how can you argue against any price hikes. Maybe your real beef is that you believe the government has inaccurately estimated the level of taxation necessary. If it is then you may be right but i do not know enough about how the taxation is calculated to asses that point.
I don't understand how you are complaining about the cost on a moral basis though. Perhaps you can elaborate.
Just to be clear my initial post was meant to highlight the absurdity of some of the arguments expressed by others in the thread. Both by smokers and non smokers. It was not meant to advocate any views for or against.

The social costs on others must be quite minor now smoking is banned in enclosed public places. There will still be one though, parents smoking around children for example.

I do think these costs are more than covered by taxation and I don't think social costs are the reason that the government keeps increasing the taxes, I think the reason is political. It's one of the very few taxes the government can continue to put up every year without damaging themselves politically.

The moral bit is because I think people should be allowed to enjoy smoking if they choose to, as I said above I don't think the increasing taxation has anything to do with social costs, so fail to see the difference between putting excessive taxation on tobacco, and putting it on any other hobby.

Original post by Ilyas
Wow, someone has an A level in critical thinking.

Nah I did proper A levels.
i started smokin when out and about with friends, usually on night outs...obviously the prices are too high so switched to rollies but only smoked 2-3 a day at most...don't smoke when i'm back home (which i am now) so should keep me off them, hopefully for good
Something I've noticed: I know several asthmatics who smoke and they never complain cigarettes bring on attacks. It's only ever non-smoking asthmatics who seems to be "allergic" to the fumes in my experience. Seems odd...
Reply 204
Makes me all the more glad i quit recently
The moral crusaders are out in full force I see.

Anyone know the figures of obesity cost to the NHS Vs smoking cost? I would look it up but I can't be bothered.
Original post by DaveSmith99
12.5g of loose tobacco is about £3.50, taste better than straights as well.

Cutters choice is one of the cheapest and is at least £3.70.

You can pay up to £4.25
Original post by Copperknickers
The rich can do more things, that is the point of being rich. Maybe the government are trying to improve the economy, by giving smokers an incentive to earn more.

Tbh I think tobacco should be illegal, I shouldn't have to inhale carcinogens every time I walk on a high street just so other people can kill themselves prematurely. And don't go talking rubbish about freedom to do whatever you want: we do not have complete liberty in this country, and I'm sure we all sleep better at night knowing that that is true.

I despise this attitude.

There are many places where you can go and avoid smelling smoke, believe it or not tobacco smoke is not going to be the only carcinogen that you will expose yourself to in your lifetime.

I hope you're equally concerned about the effect of exhaust fumes, processed meat, chemicals at workplaces, the smoke generated by a barbecue and food packaging on almost all of our food.
More than ever, people are importing cigarettes in their hundreds - and indeed the black market for illegally imported and even 'fake' cigarettes - which it must be remembered are considerably more damaging to health, because prices vary so much. I found a document here: http://www.strikingly.com/cigarettesprices
Original post by Scumbaggio
I despise this attitude.

There are many places where you can go and avoid smelling smoke, believe it or not tobacco smoke is not going to be the only carcinogen that you will expose yourself to in your lifetime.

I hope you're equally concerned about the effect of exhaust fumes, processed meat, chemicals at workplaces, the smoke generated by a barbecue and food packaging on almost all of our food.

I am quite happy for smokers to continue to be taxed into oblivion.

Keeps my taxes down.
Is it just me who finds it annoying when somebody resurrects an old thread?
Reply 211
Original post by balotelli12

Keeps my taxes down.

An excellent point.

Original post by Jooooshy

Actually i'd rather people did. One of the issues i have with TSR is that there are multiple threads on the same topic often when there could be a big thread that just gets bumped up and the new thread merged.
Original post by Jooooshy

Not really. If it's something that's still relevant then it's fine.

It annoys me when people answer "what shall I get my hamster for Christmas" posted in 2008, when said hamster will now be running on a squeaky wheel in hammie heaven.

--

Personally I have mixed feelings about the rise. If I thought that it would help people to quit then I'd be all for it. But actually I think people will continue to smoke and save money in other areas, and therefore they would be living a lower quality of life in comparison.
Original post by balotelli12

Keeps my taxes down.

In fantasy land maybe.

Latest

Trending

Trending