The Student Room Group

Current architecture students-

What's it like studying architecture? what is mostly involved? are you concerned about career prospects? (low pay and lack of jobs). Would you consider working abroad?

The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if I want to do architecture if it isn't worthwhile after getting the degree. I'm half considering doing engineering. HELP :confused:
I like architecture (it mostly involves problem-solving spatial layout through drawing, and representing ideas through models and CAD, leading to developing a 'sophisticated' scheme) but it's just too hard and nobody wants the work you end up able to do. I'm concerned I'm wasting my time yeah, but just want to finish my degree because I'm not brave enough to drop out.
Reply 2
Original post by GormlessWonder
I like architecture (it mostly involves problem-solving spatial layout through drawing, and representing ideas through models and CAD, leading to developing a 'sophisticated' scheme) but it's just too hard and nobody wants the work you end up able to do. I'm concerned I'm wasting my time yeah, but just want to finish my degree because I'm not brave enough to drop out.

That's what I didn't want to hear...
I've got a place at uni but would you advise me to forget about studying architecture?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 3
Well, no one here can say if you are going to get a job at the end of it, but the thing that you can be sure of is that it is going to be a long hard slog and if you're not committed now at the outset and fired up about it, you probably want to have a long hard think if this is the course for you. When I started my Part 1 I was like - "yeah, I'm going to change the world with my designs, really turn things on their head - its going to be great". Pretty much felt that way up until the end of second year when the realities start to catch up with you.

What you definitely can be sure of is that you will be paid very poorly should you get a job in relation to the amount of time you have been studying, the amount of stress your work incurs, and the amount of qualifications you have had to obtain. That part is a given.
Original post by StezZ
That's what I didn't want to hear...
I've got a place at uni but would you advise me to forget about studying architecture?

See above, I wouldn't tell someone not to do it, because I can't really see myself doing much else, even if I went back. I suppose just be prepared and consider alternative options seriously with their own merit.

Your original question was if it was worthwhile, well it has been for me on a number of levels, doing models and fancy images has been great, but if you think you'd like engineering and you'd enjoy all the maths then maybe it's a better option. I think most architects like engineering but it's always very clear whether they want to spend their time doing photoshop or integrals.
Reply 5
Original post by StezZ
What's it like studying architecture? what is mostly involved? are you concerned about career prospects? (low pay and lack of jobs). Would you consider working abroad?

The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure if I want to do architecture if it isn't worthwhile after getting the degree. I'm half considering doing engineering. HELP :confused:

same situation and same feelings!!! I am quite unsure, but I have done Fine art for As level, I really dont want to give up, and I quite enjoy the feeling of seeing my project althought its not that wonderful...
Reply 6
Original post by jrhartley
Well, no one here can say if you are going to get a job at the end of it, but the thing that you can be sure of is that it is going to be a long hard slog and if you're not committed now at the outset and fired up about it, you probably want to have a long hard think if this is the course for you. When I started my Part 1 I was like - "yeah, I'm going to change the world with my designs, really turn things on their head - its going to be great". Pretty much felt that way up until the end of second year when the realities start to catch up with you.

What you definitely can be sure of is that you will be paid very poorly should you get a job in relation to the amount of time you have been studying, the amount of stress your work incurs, and the amount of qualifications you have had to obtain. That part is a given.

Does architecture need much creativity or unique ideas??? Is that quite similar to Alevel Art ?I m afraid I m not that genius, but I do enjoy doing art, and I m commited to do well in one thing if i have the spark of genius..
Reply 7
Original post by 88888
same situation and same feelings!!! I am quite unsure, but I have done Fine art for As level, I really dont want to give up, and I quite enjoy the feeling of seeing my project althought its not that wonderful...

Yea... It's definitely the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Still have no idea. I have the option to do it this year as well... Ahhrghh

Reply 8
Im in similar position, really not sure about going to do Architecture or Civil/structural engineering? Would carrying on art and design to a level hinder engineering applications next year if I carry on with Maths and Physics as well?
I got my degree in Architecture, after i finished, made a conscious decision not to go into anything Architecture related.
Reply 10
Original post by laurenb11
Im in similar position, really not sure about going to do Architecture or Civil/structural engineering? Would carrying on art and design to a level hinder engineering applications next year if I carry on with Maths and Physics as well?

I think we would be better off going down the engineering route. Just had a look at architecture jobs and I found about 40 in the whole of the UK, most of which were senior positions. It might be different in 6 years though... and I think I would rather spend my time in a studio.

No, not if your still doing maths and physics, why would it?

Reply 11
Original post by Vybz Kartel
I got my degree in Architecture, after i finished, made a conscious decision not to go into anything Architecture related.

Why was this? How successful have you been? What are you doing now?

Reply 12
Original post by StezZ
I think we would be better off going down the engineering route. Just had a look at architecture jobs and I found about 40 in the whole of the UK, most of which were senior positions. It might be different in 6 years though... and I think I would rather spend my time in a studio.

No, not if your still doing maths and physics, why would it?

Yeah, with engineering just worried ill miss creative aspect of the projects and learning?
Reply 13
Original post by laurenb11
Yeah, with engineering just worried ill miss creative aspect of the projects and learning?

Yeah same! With engineering its mostly maths, but it might be worth the money and prospects.

Reply 14
Original post by GormlessWonder

About to go and do architecture at Oxford Brookes and I'm just wondering... Is it really the nightmare they say it is? You know, hardly sleeping and having no life outside the studio? Are there any students, who manage to cope with it and still, you know, be able to exist as a person, apart from being an architecture student?
Original post by jerey4
About to go and do architecture at Oxford Brookes and I'm just wondering... Is it really the nightmare they say it is? You know, hardly sleeping and having no life outside the studio? Are there any students, who manage to cope with it and still, you know, be able to exist as a person, apart from being an architecture student?

Yeah, it's fine most of the year apart from nearer hand-ins, I think people moan so much because they feel like they're fighting a worthless battle with no amazing job prospects and where tutors feel as if 60% is a gift for your work. The course does change you though, don't really expect to be completely normal.

I've got friends of friends at Oxford Brookes architecture and I hear they're a lot happier in general than London students, probably to do with the city and costs and pressures, etc.
honestly op, not worth it. massive, massive slog. little reward except for the 'impressed eyebrows' at parties..those wear off quickly when they realise your unemployed/earning a pitiful 23 grand at 26 years old despite the title.

also at 9000 a year i dont think you'd ever pay of the loan with an architects wage..ill struggle to clear my debt with fees of 1300 a year
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jerey4

from my experience its all consuming except to those who 1. are amazing 2. happy to compromise their 'absolute best' for a social life/gf/bf/life/hobby. generally architecture students are high achievers and will work themselves to the bone to compete with the people around them/feel they have not 'let themselves down' . the nature of the course means its difficult to plan ahead aso even if you arranged to meet up for drinks with a mate one weekend suddenly a tutors demands will lead to an apology text and an all nighter :s.

BUT you will make amazing friends in the studio as its such a close knit community
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending