The Student Room Group

Exam papers: 'O' Level

Hi,

Does anyone know an online resource to which I can access GCE O level papers from pre-1990? Preferably 1970's.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Astor
Hi,

Does anyone know an online resource to which I can access GCE O level papers from pre-1990? Preferably 1970's.

Thanks.

its going to be hard may the history sites i say :smile:
Reply 2
Astor
Hi,

Thanks.

Here I have a link to some I found whilst trying to compare them to GCSE's nowadays, theyre from 1968. To be honest, they dont really seem that difficult, just require different skills and have the aura of "upper class" all over them.

http://www.mel-lambert.com/Ruskin/Images/JRGS11E_KB_Images.htm
Reply 3
SeanWhite
Here I have a link to some I found whilst trying to compare them to GCSE's nowadays, theyre from 1968. To be honest, they dont really seem that difficult, just require different skills and have the aura of "upper class" all over them.

http://www.mel-lambert.com/Ruskin/Images/JRGS11E_KB_Images.htm

Does University of London examination board still exsist (no)? What about the CSE's?
These papers are no way as hard as people make them out to be, saying that in the old days exams actually meant something etc.

I would have thought that their exams would have been impossible. Looking at this it seems results are getting better, and exams are staying the same in terms of difficulty.
i can mail you Olevel papers post 2002 with their marcking schemes and examiner reports.

If u need them contact me on [email protected]
ouchh. gonna be hard.
1970s are like 30 sth years ago O.O
Reply 7
i need chemistry october/november 2008 paper 2 with its mark scheme cambridge university..thnx in advance
Reply 8
I have Papers 2 and 3 for O'Level Mathematics Syllabus D, 1976. If you'd like a pdf, give me your e-mail. Alternatively, try visiting Scribd, they have all kinds of research material. As for whether standards were higher, all I can say is this: look at the papers and decide for yourself. Parts of the syllabus (e.g. volumes of solids by integration) in those days would now be covered at 'A2'-level these days !
hi guys. m new here. m about 2 give my o level math and bio in nov 2009. does anyone have math n bio 2009 may papers? if so plzzz send em 2 me on my email- [email protected]
Reply 11
Could someone find websites for Girls Grammars or Girls Public schools from the same period or earlier with either O-levels or A-levels or least at results from some years?
Reply 12
i need maths october/november 2008 paper 2 with its mark scheme cambridge university.
Reply 13
Maybe what should have asked was to search for almni sites for Girls Grammar and Girls Public schools from the same period or earlier O and A-levels?
i asked gce 2009 o/l paper
try freeexampapers.com and if the dont hav it student-resource.com or xtremepapers.com wil surely have them!
Reply 16
Original post by stranger101
These papers are no way as hard as people make them out to be, saying that in the old days exams actually meant something etc.

I would have thought that their exams would have been impossible. Looking at this it seems results are getting better, and exams are staying the same in terms of difficulty.

I have no idea what you mean by your comment on exams staying the same. Whether these papers are genuinely difficult or not can be called a matter of opinion and is completely subjective since different people have different abilities, whether they are doing their GCSE or they're graduates.

What is not a matter of opinion is the difference in difficulty between 1968 (somebody put up this link) and now. I did my GCSE in 2003 or 4. Take a look at the science paper for instance (examples of questions given on this page http://www.mel-lambert.com/Ruskin/Artwork/Images/Kevin_OBrien/GCE_Exams1968/1968GenSci_page02-03.JPG).

Now whether you personally can do these questions or not depends on how good you were at science at the time of your GCSE and what you learnt from your teachers (many ppl have forgotten some of their science from back then). But if you take a look at the papers WE did in 2003-4, our questions can't even be called science, any more than arithmetic can be called algebra. The difference is too great to imagine. I have taught GCSE science and A-level Physics (private tuition) in the recent past, and I have found the current papers in a words...sinch. I've been complaining about how much the standards have dropped since my time (which was only 6 or 7 years ago).

These papers from 1968 are infinitely more difficult. Whether students who do well at these are genuinely clever or just 'good students' depends on the individual, since exams hardly assess individual ability comprehensively (as we all know). But if you had even seen a paper from the past 7 years then you would know that students today would look at that 1968 paper and stare blankly for a while before walking off.

note: I am assuming that you are referring to the link on 1968 GCSE papers on which individual pink pages have been scanned. If not, I apologise for my mis-referencing.

So all I can imagine is that you simply have never seen current exams. I am making my comments as rational as possible and I believe that my arguments are perfectly logical. Please feel free to argue your point if you disagree.
Unbelievable comments. I can't speak about other subjects but having taught science for twenty years I can assure you that none of my A level groups can answer any of the O level examinations for Physics to a level beyond E. It is absolute hogwash to suggest these exams are anything like as straightforward. Firstly, O levels were an academic exam designed for students going on to A levels and only 10% of pupils achieved a C. This compares to 50% at GCSE which were introduced solely to enable more of the general puplic to have taken a meaningful examination. The problem in lifting GCSE pupils to the same standard is well reported. In simple terms for you ignorant and arrogant fools, there are no pretty pictures, no closed questions, no breadth of questions. No 'hints'. They werre essay-style requiring detailed knowledge on specific things and communication skills far beyond anything required nowadays. Look at the questions again. Who amongst you could seriously write for 15 minutes on washing crystals!! (Bare in mind that you could have been asked on anything from a broad curriculum so you would have to know everything in this much detail).
Idiots.
Anyone got any O level papers that they could direct me to that predate 2000. I'm especially interested in Economics.
I would like my English language and literature o level papers reexamining from the 198Os please plus retakes. I really can’t believe my example action results. How do I do this please and what’s the cost involved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending