The Student Room Group
League tables are abit hard to go by for Criminology and tbh I didn't bat an eyelid at them for when I choice it as my insurance!

I have heard the likes of Cardiff, Nottingham, Durham are good unis for Crim . . :dontknow: . . but I have no idea as I didn't look any further than the uni I currently attend.
Reply 2
Criminology? What are you training to be? Batman?!

Sorry, couldn't resist the Clerks reference.
Reply 3
I've applied for Leeds as my firm and Huddesfield as my insurance! :biggrin: they seem pretty amazing :
The Guradian league tables are very suspect due to them priviledging wrongheaded criteria like NSS scores which are useless for comparitive analysis between institutions, so pick a good uni overall, Russel group or above and you should be reasonably safe and aviod the low quality factories of lesser uni's, of which there are many (I know I teach crim at one). Also consider what staff are actually researching/publishing, so look at their online profiles, and see if any of it meshes with your reasons for being interested in the subject. In short, do your homework, visit the campus and place, do online research (look for the skeletons), and speak to peeps who have done the course (and not uni place people, they won't give you the full 9 yards, remember their sales people being employed to say nice things). You only get to do an undergrad degree once, so don't be fooled by all those nice looking and sounding webpages and admin staff, the sausage factories want yer money is all!!
Original post by latmer182
The Guradian league tables are very suspect due to them priviledging wrongheaded criteria like NSS scores which are useless for comparitive analysis between institutions, so pick a good uni overall, Russel group or above and you should be reasonably safe and aviod the low quality factories of lesser uni's, of which there are many (I know I teach crim at one). Also consider what staff are actually researching/publishing, so look at their online profiles, and see if any of it meshes with your reasons for being interested in the subject. In short, do your homework, visit the campus and place, do online research (look for the skeletons), and speak to peeps who have done the course (and not uni place people, they won't give you the full 9 yards, remember their sales people being employed to say nice things). You only get to do an undergrad degree once, so don't be fooled by all those nice looking and sounding webpages and admin staff, the sausage factories want yer money is all!!

This thread is over 11 years old...please don't bump old threads. The OP may well have a PhD in Criminology at this point...
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest