The Student Room Group

Arghhhh driving test in rain :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh driving test in a couple of hours, and looking at heavy rain :frown: anybody got any last minute tips?

This is my second test - failed with 5m and 1s for overtaking on a dual carriageway :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Relax. My test was in torrential rain, thunder and lightening. It was fine. Just remember breaking distances are longer in rain and if you do emergency break you should pump the break rather than just hold it in. That will cause your brakes to lock up and the car could skid.
I had my test in the rain, it actually went better than expected. Passed with 3 minors. Just make sure that you watch your speed, and keep adjusting the windscreen wipers with the changing rain.
Just remember braking distances as mentioned etc. It will be fine! Just be extra careful, like you wouldn be in a test anyway. And don't forget the little things like lights if you need them, and windscreen wipers.
Good luck!!
Reply 4
You failed for overtaing? My instructor encourages me to overtake :/ that's so weird
vonniegee
if you do emergency break you should pump the break rather than just hold it in. That will cause your brakes to lock up and the car could skid.

What do you think ABS is for??! OP don't listen to this just brake like your instructor has told you. But obv it's true about the longer stopping distance.
Reply 6
vonniegee
Relax. My test was in torrential rain, thunder and lightening. It was fine. Just remember breaking distances are longer in rain and if you do emergency break you should pump the break rather than just hold it in. That will cause your brakes to lock up and the car could skid.

The majority of modern cars have anti-locking brakes. Pumping them will make you stop slower and have no positive effect.

Your advice only applies to old cars without ABS.
Reply 7
Remember to turn on your wipers.
Reply 8
wipers, demist!!!!! open the window slightly as well. My test was in the rain, I got 3 minors. Go 3 mph below the speed limit. Good luck
vonniegee

Don't do that if the car has ABS. The ABS does not for you, if you pump the brake in a car with ABS, it can confuse the system and therefore the ABS won't activate.
I did my test in heavy rain, so just take it slower and you'll be fine. Looks like it might also be a bit dark so remember lights!!
Reply 11
Well I failed :frown: Hesitation at an island :frown:

Third time lucky
Reply 12
Bad times.
Reply 13
OrangeStu
Well I failed :frown: Hesitation at an island :frown:

Third time lucky

Hesatation is a fail? Thought it'd be a minor :s-smilie:
Don't worry, it took me 3 attempts to finally pass (Technically 4. I didn't turn up to my 3rd! ). I'd say i'm actually a better driver because of all my driving lessons than a lot of people having passed on their first attempt.
Reply 15
Robbert

If you get more than 3 or 4? minors for the same thing, I'm pretty sure it's a major.

But if the OP hesitated for a lot period of time, altering other peoples driving significantly or something I think it could be classed as a major.
Reply 16
vonniegee

Torrential rain = SLIDEY FUN! :woo:

Needless to say I did not pass 1st time.
Reply 17
Robbert

Yip one major because I missed two chances when I would have probably been okay to go.
Reply 18
squeak
If you get more than 3 or 4? minors for the same thing, I'm pretty sure it's a major.

But if the OP hesitated for a lot period of time, altering other peoples driving significantly or something I think it could be classed as a major.
Yep. If you completely stop in a situation where a stop isn't expected, such as in the middle of an empty road or at an empty roundabout - and you bring following traffic grinding to a halt, it's a straight serious. In fact, that's just asking for a rear end shunt.
vonniegee

That sounds so fun! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest