The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Bit early to think of unis ain't it? Concentrate on your GCSES, then see how your AS's are doing then make a rational decision. For all we know the grade requirements might go up significantly in 2 years time.
you can go for 5 on ucas. or is it different for medicine?
Reply 82
as_94
keele?

That's a thought, actually, on first glance at their web pages!

Cheers, will look into Keele further!
Reply 83
Mr Mime
Bit early to think of unis ain't it? Concentrate on your GCSES, then see how your AS's are doing then make a rational decision. For all we know the grade requirements might go up significantly in 2 years time.

Just I had a progress interview thing at school a couple of months ago, and he asked me what Unis I was planning on applying for!

I was like :woo: :p:

And yeah, it's only 4 on the UCAS for Med.
Reply 84
Ok guys, I have written 6 GCSE's, well in my country we do CXC which is equivalent, as well as 2 AS-Level Subs. I got 4A*s(Biology, Physics, Mathematics & English Language) 1A (Chemistry) and a 1B (Spanish) and a B (Computer Studies) and a C (Pure Mathematics) at AS Level. Are those going to be good enough for any medical school? I am doing Chemistry Biology and English at A2 and predicted grades are A* in Chem and AA in Biology and English. Helppp!
Reply 85
I'm confused. A*'s at AS level? That's not even possible. Are you talking about GCSE's?
Reply 86
krisblade
I'm confused. A*'s at AS level? That's not even possible. Are you talking about GCSE's?

No no. The A*s are at GCSE level, (the first 6 subjects are GCSE). But I also wrote 2 AS subjects at the GCSE level, since they were not offered at GCSE level otherwise. The B and C were at AS Level (which was obtained at the same sitting as the other subjects). Hope this answers your questions.
Reply 87
JoeLatics
Just I had a progress interview thing at school a couple of months ago, and he asked me what Unis I was planning on applying for!

I was like :woo: :p:

And yeah, it's only 4 on the UCAS for Med.

Don't panic about picking unis now, you'll get a better idea of where you should be aiming for once you've got GCSES or even AS's to your name. Medicine is extremely competitive, even the brightest of students don't get in due to a variety of reasons. If you're set on it, see if you can get some work experience down, or even small things like volunteer work.
If you're interested in the unis now, then there's no reason not to look into them and get a feel for it!

I decided I wanted to go to UCL med in about year 9/10, and I now hold a firm offer - so don't be put off finding the ones that suit you!

I'm not that interested in PBL so I can't really give you great advice on which ones to choose - just have a general look around. (And get good GCSEs of course!)

And solid work experience!

Good luck! :biggrin:
milan5baros
you can go for 5 on ucas. or is it different for medicine?

You may only apply to four medicine degrees.

The 5th remains open for any other course.
Do not think about specific unis now, your grades and enjoyment of subjects can change. But if you're 100% for medicine, then get a lot of work experience over the summer. That will help you the most.
xnatalie01x
Do not think about specific unis now, your grades and enjoyment of subjects can change. But if you're 100% for medicine, then get a lot of work experience over the summer. That will help you the most.

Nothing wrong with having an interest. As long as it doesn't impact on getting the grades, I don't see why there's such opposition to looking into some unis?
Reply 92
What do you make of the course at peninsula then? how do you find working with people that ( i imagine)are younger than you? peninsula is one of the uni that i am considering of applying to so any info would be appreciated as to how you find the course!
Reply 93
bump***
Reply 94
Hey, I do AS Philosophy and Ethics, Infact had my medical ethics exam today. The question to ask is, are you genuinely interested? Because If you aren't you will not enjoy it at all, many people in my course chose it because they thought it was simple, they did not really know what they were getting in to, and found it difficult. Personally I have really enjoyed it, the medical ethics bit is not difficult at all, and neither is the Philosophy. If you are pursuing a career in medicine, its a great thing to talk about in your interview the fact that you studied medical ethics for a year may just be the one thing that sets you apart from another candidtae and secures your place. Many people have everything sussed out on the scientific side of medicine, but there is more to it, with the growing capacity of keeping people and live, and living in the modern world where developments are hugely taking place ethics is a big part of healthcare, alongside the issues raised. Seriously I say go for it! Oh by the way, we concentrated on Euthanasia, it is upto the teachers to choose a topic, from abortion to cloning and stem cell research! Let me know how you get on.... :smile:
Reply 95
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but lets say you get AAAC at AS, would that mean you have to take all of them to A2 to recover your C at AS? and are you allowed to retake a whole AS subject in year 13?
If you have the time, it's definitely worth giving the uni/area a visit :smile: Seals the deal. :p:
krisblade
Also some schools certify grades. If your school does you will HAVE to declare your grade on your UCAS, as all certified grades must be declared.

A 'U' isn't even considered a "grade" at all though, is it? Pretty sure it doesn't have to be declared, although they might catch on anyhow :o:
JoeLatics

That's ridiculous. Next time ask him why he's in such a rush to pigeonhole you. You've already decided on the course you want to do, which is a step away from most people at your age.
Reply 99
LetoKynes
A 'U' isn't even considered a "grade" at all though, is it? Pretty sure it doesn't have to be declared, although they might catch on anyhow :o:

There's lots of debate about this though - even the UCAS website declares you should state unsuccessful and fail grades.

"For each school and college, you provide details of:

* all qualifications for which you have accepted certification from an awarding organisation, even if you're retaking all or part of the qualification
* all qualifications for which you are currently studying or awaiting results.

All qualifications must be entered, even if you received an unsuccessful grade, if you are still waiting to take the final exams or if you are waiting for the results.

If you're resitting a qualification you need to enter it twice: once as a completed qualification with the grade achieved and once as a qualification with the result 'Pending'."

So according to UCAS even if you fail you have to put it down and then put "pending" for any retakes of that exam. At my school we had to declare U's as well as any other grade.

Latest