The Student Room Group

Oxford Fine Art Students and Applicants

Hi guys!

To cut it short, I want to apply to Oxford this year (2011 for entry in 2012) to the fine art course.
About that, I know it is important to take a year to do a foundation course, but since I'm not from the uk (I'm from Romania), it would be expensive (living expenses and all that) and I don't want to put my parents through that, if I don't really have to. Having said that, I'm currently studying art outside of high school, after hours, at the local Art School (I'm in the second year of a three year art course). Will that help me in the eyes of the admission people, because I know they rarely take ppl without a foundation?

And also, does anyone have any tips for the portfolio? What exactly are they looking for, style, how many pieces etc? Or maybe work you submitted that got you in, just so that I can't make an idea?

Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Well, your three-year art course might count as equivalent to a foundation course, but TBH the only people who could give you a reliable answer on that would be tutors at the Ruskin school. Contact them.

[email protected]

:sheep:
Reply 2
Heya, they don't ask for a Foundation Diploma as an entry requirement, it's just that people who have done a foundation would be more likely to be accepted as their work is of a higher standard/maturity in comparison to students at A level, because they have had that extra year of development etc.

I'm doing a foundation course at the moment (and have an offer to start at Ruskin this October), and I would say that the foundation has been invaluable to me - my work and practice have developed so much in the last few months.

But, considering it would cost you so much to do foundation I would say go for it and apply to Ruskin - if you don't get a place, then you could consider doing a foundation and trying again next year. Also, if you're doing a three year art course now, I would guess that your work is pretty mature anyway, and so you may not need another year on top of those three!!

Hope this helps a bit, best of luck :smile:

(feel free to PM if you wanted any advice on portfolio etc)
Reply 3
Original post by -mai-
Heya, they don't ask for a Foundation Diploma as an entry requirement, it's just that people who have done a foundation would be more likely to be accepted as their work is of a higher standard/maturity in comparison to students at A level, because they have had that extra year of development etc.

I'm doing a foundation course at the moment (and have an offer to start at Ruskin this October), and I would say that the foundation has been invaluable to me - my work and practice have developed so much in the last few months.

But, considering it would cost you so much to do foundation I would say go for it and apply to Ruskin - if you don't get a place, then you could consider doing a foundation and trying again next year. Also, if you're doing a three year art course now, I would guess that your work is pretty mature anyway, and so you may not need another year on top of those three!!

Hope this helps a bit, best of luck :smile:

(feel free to PM if you wanted any advice on portfolio etc)

Just out of curiosity, where are you doing your foundation course?
Reply 4
Original post by Kallistrate
Just out of curiosity, where are you doing your foundation course?

I'm doing my foundation at Wimbledon :smile: why do you ask?
Reply 5
Original post by -mai-
I'm doing my foundation at Wimbledon :smile: why do you ask?

Because I was rejected from the Ruskin this year because I hadn't done a foundation, so at the moment I'm trying to work out the best place to go to be accepted next year :smile: Congrats on getting in btw :smile:
Reply 6
Because I was rejected from the Ruskin this year because I hadn't done a foundation, so at the moment I'm trying to work out the best place to go to be accepted next year :smile: Congrats on getting in btw :smile:

Thanks for the congrats :smile: sorry about you not getting in though :frown: hope you're ok about it.

Obviously it would be great for you to do a foundation course which has good reputation, but don't think of that as a ticket into Ruskin! But regardless yes I would advise going for good universities for foundation - generally they would be more challenging and would get more out of you.

There were only three of us from Wimbledon that applied this year. Apparently Ruskin tend to take one from Wimbledon each year, I'm not sure why they stick to those habits but I guess there are some Foundation courses which do supply them with promising students.. but I don't know. Obviously Wimbledon is merging this year to CCW, so there will be more students on that foundation going for Ruskin.

Which foundation courses have you applied for? :smile:
Reply 7
It's cool, I knew it was a long shot when I applied.

Yeah, I know it takes a lot of hard work and luck as well but studying for your foundation somewhere good must help :smile: I have offers from Loughborough, Oxford Brookes, and Falmouth, and I'm still waiting to hear from CSM.

Wimbledon looked really good when I visited it, it's a shame they're not doing foundation there next year!
Reply 8
wow congrats on those foundation offers! Falmouth is such an amazing place - I was seriously considering it for degree! Best of luck with the CSM application too :smile: hope it goes well!
Reply 9
It's cool, I knew it was a long shot when I applied.

Yeah, I know it takes a lot of hard work and luck as well but studying for your foundation somewhere good must help :smile: I have offers from Loughborough, Oxford Brookes, and Falmouth, and I'm still waiting to hear from CSM.

Wimbledon looked really good when I visited it, it's a shame they're not doing foundation there next year!

Oxford Brookes has a great foundation course, 3 of my mates at the Ruskin in my year went there, and I know of a few in other years too.

Just to let you know :wink:
Original post by RBranigan
Oxford Brookes has a great foundation course, 3 of my mates at the Ruskin in my year went there, and I know of a few in other years too.

Just to let you know :wink:

Ooh thank you that's good to know!
Reply 11
I am going to apply to for the following uni's and courses:
Oxford,Ruskin- fine art*
UCL- fine art*
Goldsmiths- fine art and art history
Chelsea- fine art
Camberwell- drawing or illustration
All Undergraduate courses and I just wondered what the interview process is like. I know it consists of a formal interview and a portfolio and a test at the ruskin but I just wondered what sort of questions they ask particularly at Oxford and what the test is like? What advice could you give eg. Further reading etc?
Thank you
Reply 12
Hiii! :biggrin: I'm applying to the Ruskin this year as well. Have you checked the "Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry" thread? There's also a spreadsheet if you want to add yourself to the list: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=0 Have you started your portfolio?
Reply 13
Hi!!:smile:Well actually because I am doing a foundation year I am applying in 2012 for 2013 so a year later than u but I just want to be prepared because I know there may be a lot to do before I even apply or go for interview but I am going to see it on the 6th. That's why I didn't sign up for the spreadsheet but I am surprised that u are the only one signed up for art and no I haven't yet started my portfolio because I will naturally be waiting till next year sometime to start. Have u started ur portfolio? Have u done a foundation year? Have u done anything so far in preparation? Where else r u applying if u don't mind me asking?
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 14
No problem :biggrin: ... Yes, I actually started my portfolio in September and I've just finished it 2 or 3 days ago. I'm also applying for UCL ( for both fine art and architecture), Edinburgh-fine art and Manchester-architecture. As for preparation, well, the portfolio is the biggest part of the application in my opinion, so I've done that :lol: and I'm gonna catch up with my reading now. Good luck on your foundation! :biggrin:
I'm moving this to the Colleges and Courses forum to start a Fine Art thread in there :smile:
Reply 16
Yes I think I may start mine at a similar time and I have just started the reading:eek: thanks for ur help and good luck to u too, I hope u get in!! Tell me how it all goes particularly the interview if u don't mind.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
yeah, sure! I'll keep you posted. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Hiy'all :smile:,
Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I have a question about the Fine art degree at Oxford. I know it's a "fine art" so obviously you need the drawing part, but, do you know if we need a really "spectacular" level of drawing? I mean, I'm doing Visual Art at Sixth form, and I draw quite well, but I'm certainly not "outstanding" if you know what I mean! Do you think I can still try to apply to do a Fine Art degree?
Reply 19
Original post by loupolou
Hiy'all :smile:,
Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but I have a question about the Fine art degree at Oxford. I know it's a "fine art" so obviously you need the drawing part, but, do you know if we need a really "spectacular" level of drawing? I mean, I'm doing Visual Art at Sixth form, and I draw quite well, but I'm certainly not "outstanding" if you know what I mean! Do you think I can still try to apply to do a Fine Art degree?

For the Fine Art course at Ruskin, you have to do a certain amount of drawing as part of the course - anatomy etc, so obviously being able to draw would help! But I don't think whether you're good or incredible at drawing would sway their decision to give you an offer as I think they value your art work and creative process, your individuality etc more than technical ability. I have an offer to start in October, and although I can draw (but not amazingly) I didn't include much drawing at all in my portfolio nor did I really do any in the drawing exam, so for all they know I could be absolutely terrible at drawing!

Quick Reply

Latest