The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2012 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dogfights
Will actually anyone from HR read what I write as an answer for these competency based questions? And if they read it, will they give a **** (unless its full of typos)?

Arent they just a simple way to avoid that every single student on the plant will apply (because people get fed up with the questions or cant be bothered to to spend time on them and thus decide not to apply)?

I am sure that if your answers sucks (no typos) but your CV is very strong they will still invite you for interviews.

In regards to cover letters and comp questions, HR will usually look at your CV first. If that's good then they'll look at your CL/Comp Qs. A good CL and comp Qs wont do that much extra for your application, but a bad CL/Comp Qs will get you dinged (apart from when the candidate has an exceptional CV).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Can you apply for both summer and off cycle internships in the same bank?
Reply 62
Original post by Zweihander
In regards to cover letters and comp questions, HR will usually look at your CV first. If that's good then they'll look at your CL/Comp Qs. A good CL and comp Qs wont do that much extra for your application, but a bad CL/Comp Qs will get you dinged (apart from when the candidate has an exceptional CV).

Thanks.

But what do you mean by "bad"? Its fairly obvious that putting the wrong name of the bank is a very likely deal breaker.

Is bad: typos? not answering the questions properly? no structure?
Reply 63
Does anyone know how to prepared for summer internship tests + interviews + group exercise/role playing. And also, what kind of group exercise and/or role playing do they have? Thanks.
Do you know if any Private Equity firm run some sort of formal/informal Summer Internship or Graduate program?

Ty
Might be a stupid question, but do any hedge funds take undergrad interns?
Reply 66
Do banks in the UK sponsor students for summer internships? If I don't get the gig I am waiting to hear back from, I am planning on doing a hell of a lot of networking while I am studying abroad in England this fall...so I wanted to keep the door open to working there if possible. Thanks.
Reply 67
Quick question,
Is it possible to get a summer internship for one of these bulge bracket banks following a placement year?

Technically students finishing their placements should still be regarded as penultimate year students.
But then there's also the issue of reapplying to some of the firms that rejected you for placements while still under the 12 month "restraining order"
If I were to write to the scholarship that I got (some of the trustees are former MDs of professional services firms) and ask them if they could help me get an internship (or even an interview) in IB for next year, would that be:

a) A good idea
or
b) Embarrasing and retarded?

I was thinking that I should try to milk it:confused:
Reply 69
Original post by BulgeBracket
If I were to write to the scholarship that I got (some of the trustees are former MDs of professional services firms) and ask them if they could help me get an internship (or even an interview) in IB for next year, would that be:

a) A good idea
or
b) Embarrasing and retarded?

I was thinking that I should try to milk it:confused:

Well, if you haven't been in touch at all with them and then suddenly email them asking them for favours, don't be surprised if you get ignored.

On the plus side, if you do it in the right way, asking them cannot hurt you so you might as well go for it - though I'm not sure how effective they'll be.
Reply 70
I am looking for an off-cycle internship in Structuring starting in February or March 2012. If they dont have that as an option when I apply, am I SOL?

I started to look at the websites of the banks who already started their hiring process (BarCap, GS, UBS) and only BarCap had the possibility.
Reply 71
There's no more bank opening their application before September?
Just saw on the BarCap website that they offer off-cycles/industrial placements and they didnt specify a year in your degree :smile:
Anybody have any advice on how to become faster with those numerical tests? Do you guys do most of in your head and then guesstimate the answer, or do ye manage to get proper answer for them? (Im always there with pen paper and a calculator..) I understand that if Im not up to scratch in them, my app doesnt even make it to HR! Im not even applying for a particularly quant role! Im good with numbers, but that ticking clock in the corner pisses me off:mad:

Would it be worthwile to apply to mid-market/smaller banks in the US, just for the sake of improving chances? I would apply for other Euro offices, but I only speak English. Im sure they're more competitive, but someone from across the pond might appeal as a novelty or something:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Which banks have the numerical tests? Can you apply to Barcap for more than one position?
Reply 74
Original post by ciembalo
Which banks have the numerical tests? Can you apply to Barcap for more than one position?

Basically, all of them.
Reply 75
Just saw on the BarCap website that they offer off-cycles/industrial placements and they didnt specify a year in your degree :smile:
Anybody have any advice on how to become faster with those numerical tests? Do you guys do most of in your head and then guesstimate the answer, or do ye manage to get proper answer for them? (Im always there with pen paper and a calculator..) I understand that if Im not up to scratch in them, my app doesnt even make it to HR! Im not even applying for a particularly quant role! Im good with numbers, but that ticking clock in the corner pisses me off:mad:

I usually get the proper answers and got plenty of time left (8-10 minutes).

Would it be worthwile to apply to mid-market/smaller banks in the US, just for the sake of improving chances? I would apply for other Euro offices, but I only speak English. Im sure they're more competitive, but someone from across the pond might appeal as a novelty or something:tongue:

I wouldnt do it, as far as I know, would you either have to work for free or the company cant hire you, because they have to explain to the government why you are a better candidate than an American.
Reply 76
Anyone know anything about Jefferies summer internships? How many places are available and how to apply?

I read somewhere that they recruit via the Cornell Partnership, although there is no mention of this on Jefferies website.
Finding cheap accommodation in London summer 2012 is going to be fun!
Reply 78
Does someone know if after the verbal test, Barcap send you an e-mail which confirmed that you reach the required score (just like for the numerical)?
Reply 79
Hello everyone,

I'm browsing through banks' websites to find off-cycle dates & deadlines. However, a lot do not provide the these information. So how does that work ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending