The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roflcopter123
You have any tips on how to make a quality comeback lol?

Memorise the key points in the topics, make sure you understand everything
Read the question properly and answer specifically, don't waffle on.
In questions where data is given, always include figures.

u have any tips??
Original post by Bi0logical
Memorise the key points in the topics, make sure you understand everything
Read the question properly and answer specifically, don't waffle on.
In questions where data is given, always include figures.

u have any tips??

You dont want tips from a guy who just got a D in that paper
Do we need to know about RQ value and respirometer :s-smilie:??
You dont want tips from a guy who just got a D in that paper
Do we need to know about RQ value and respirometer :s-smilie:??

Ah is that what you got last year? This is my first time, hopefully not re-sitting this :colondollar:
I dont think we need to know about RQ values and respirometer, if they do ask us about RQ values, they'll give us the equation and we plug in the numbers
learn about the different respiratory substrates and which ones better etc
Ah is that what you got last year? This is my first time, hopefully not re-sitting this :colondollar:
I dont think we need to know about RQ values and respirometer, if they do ask us about RQ values, they'll give us the equation and we plug in the numbers

got a B last year but im resiting both AS units in jan :smile: got a D in the mock jan 2010, hopefully i can get atleast a b in this module and get an A in maths, A* in chem
Atleast we dont have to learn about respirometers ty
(edited 12 years ago)

you need to know why lipids and proteins give RQs <1 and it's because the need more oxygen to respire them. you're probs right though as you can work that out just with the equation
Reply 85
What types of experiments could be performed to measure the rate of photosynthesis for temperature, light intensity and CO2 concentration?

So far i have:
light intensity - use a lamp at different distances, measuring O2 produced through capillary tube
CO2 conc. - sodium hydrogen carbonate indicator, compare colours at the end to other pH indicators
Original post by --NWzD9--
What types of experiments could be performed to measure the rate of photosynthesis for temperature, light intensity and CO2 concentration?

So far i have:
light intensity - use a lamp at different distances, measuring O2 produced through capillary tube
CO2 conc. - sodium hydrogen carbonate indicator, compare colours at the end to other pH indicators

My guess would be put some chloroplast discs in water with different temperature ( 25 is the optimum you can use)
so lets say at temp : 0 10 15 20 25 30 35

Not sure if 0 is necessary tho! then you can draw the graph if you wish to

I mean such exp. might not even exist..so please do let me know if there is any :rolleyes:
Reply 87
Original post by arvin_infinity
My guess would be put some chloroplast discs in water with different temperature ( 25 is the optimum you can use)
so lets say at temp : 0 10 15 20 25 30 35

Not sure if 0 is necessary tho! then you can draw the graph if you wish to

I mean such exp. might not even exist..so please do let me know if there is any :rolleyes:

Thanks. I think that could be a valid experiment.
Would using coloured filters to only expose plants to certain wavelengths count as an experiment?
Reply 88
Suggest questions and practical questions are what hurt me last time :frown:
Original post by osman705
Suggest questions and practical questions are what hurt me last time :frown:

every time.
the exam is in 20 days and ive only properly revised communication + homeostasis and excretion... predicted an A

there is absolutely no chance im gonna get that now... FML
Original post by glitterphobia
You're welcome! They're helping me too so i'm glad you like them :smile:

http://learn123.co.nr

My hero! :h:

Original post by sumsum123
They defo are! Awesome change from making notes/reading. And did you make that websit , I have been using that for like a week now!! It is ahmazingg ! :biggrin:

Yep! Been making it for about a year now cause I always struggled revising the "normal" way, so I thought that I'd just put everything in one place so then I can revise in loads of different ways haha :P
Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool
My hero! :h:

<333
Reply 94
Original post by glitterphobia

Yep! Been making it for about a year now cause I always struggled revising the "normal" way, so I thought that I'd just put everything in one place so then I can revise in loads of different ways haha :P

Wow! You are out of this world! Pretty kool man! Thanks doe, you are a mahosive help. I struggled alottt during AS and am trying to keep on top of it this year because I am pretty desperate to pass :tongue:, your site and youtube link are a big big help :smile:
got an offer for cambridge and now i HAVE to ace this exam...anyone have any tips?
I AM Struggling with this exam but there is a pattern:
First question is a like a compare two processes e.g secretion and excretion
Then it goes to a few suggest questions
Long mark explain/graphs/calvin,krebs,glycolysis question and few questions on excretion
Finally THE ****TY SUGGEST PHOTOSYNTHESIS experiment questions which are pissing me right off
I AM Struggling with this exam but there is a pattern:
First question is a like a compare two processes e.g secretion and excretion
Then it goes to a few suggest questions
Long mark explain/graphs/calvin,krebs,glycolysis question and few questions on excretion
Finally THE ****TY SUGGEST PHOTOSYNTHESIS experiment questions which are pissing me right off

Reply 98
Is it weird that I'm actually feeling more confident for this exam than my F212 resit?
And I think I agree with the general consensus on this thread that the photosynthesis experiment questions are a bitch.
Reply 99
Helloo, I was wondering if anyone could just clear something up for me please? In the communication and homeostatis module about the neurones and the action potential, can the voltage-gated channels open before the threshold potential is reached or do they only open after that's reached?

Also I'm a bit unsure about the value of the resting potential, the textbook says it's -60mV but my teacher says it's -70mV?
Sorry to be a pain, thank you if anyone can help me:-)

Quick Reply

Latest