The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

University of Brighton Interviews!!

Hi there!
I'm a Canadian student. I'm meeting a University of Brighton representative in two weeks. The whole thing is all exciting, terrifying and awesome! I am applying to illustration BA(hons)/Mdes

I have a portfolio ready. I got tons of sketchbooks and some recent work. Everything I learned from the website I assume is true about portfolio requirements. I'm more worried about the actual interview. I know they'll ask me things like why I want to study there but what else would they ask?

I hope someone can help. I just need to feel prepared ^^;.
I hope I get accepted! @_@

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know you posted a while ago but i'm applying for illustration BA too. Have you heard anything yet?
From what I've read their interviews are apparently pretty relaxed and they want to know more about you and your personal interests rather than the work.
Really hope they reply soon, even if it's a rejection, i hate the waiting!
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Did you guys have to email a link to a digital portfolio? I had to for the 18th so they haven't replied yet, which is understandable, though I was wondering, becuase it sounds like you've already got date for interviews? I'm mainly asking because the only thing that makes an interview better aside from whether it goes well or not is meeting new people :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Zhin
Did you guys have to email a link to a digital portfolio? I had to for the 18th so they haven't replied yet, which is understandable, though I was wondering, becuase it sounds like you've already got date for interviews? I'm mainly asking because the only thing that makes an interview better aside from whether it goes well or not is meeting new people :smile:

Yeah I sent my link on about the 15th I think. But, I still haven't heard anything yet :frown: To be honest, I don't think i'll get an interview but I thought I may as well try as it was such a nice place and would love to go there! Do you know anyone else that's got an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by Telia2
Yeah I sent my link on about the 15th I think. But, I still haven't heard anything yet :frown: To be honest, I don't think i'll get an interview but I thought I may as well try as it was such a nice place and would love to go there! Do you know anyone else that's got an interview?

Don't worry, from all the mini-portfolios I've had, I'd give it a bit more time before they reply.
I know a lot of people from past interviews who've also had to do mini-portfolios but none have got replies for student dates so far. To be honest I'm shocked I have even got through to this stage because all of the people I have met that did get the request were all doing a foundation diploma.
Hey guys, i got a photography interview on the 4th April. So apprehensive... i don't have an art foundation but already done my A levels. I have no idea what to expect or to include.. i heard it's pretty tough to get in?
Reply 6
Original post by Zhin
Don't worry, from all the mini-portfolios I've had, I'd give it a bit more time before they reply.
I know a lot of people from past interviews who've also had to do mini-portfolios but none have got replies for student dates so far. To be honest I'm shocked I have even got through to this stage because all of the people I have met that did get the request were all doing a foundation diploma.

I was told recently that they will start interviews after March 7th. It'll probably include international students as well I'm guessing. I think final responses on UCAS would go up sometime in April or May.

As for me I've done my mini-portfolio online through flickr but I'm wondering if they will eventually want to see more work? It seems like the other schools I apply to ask for at least 22 pieces of work or more.
Reply 7
Also! I'm curious to see anyone's online portfolio! May I see? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by quellebelle
I was told recently that they will start interviews after March 7th. It'll probably include international students as well I'm guessing. I think final responses on UCAS would go up sometime in April or May.

As for me I've done my mini-portfolio online through flickr but I'm wondering if they will eventually want to see more work? It seems like the other schools I apply to ask for at least 22 pieces of work or more.

I see.
Other unis I've appliead for have asked for 10. I think if they wanted to look at more, they would of said from the out, as I had also applied for LCC and they told me to mail a small portfolio with 30-40 images right at the begining. It doesn't seem right for them to constantly ask for more work. I might as well just give them my portfolio? lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Zhin
I see.
Other unis I've appliead for have asked for 10. I think if they wanted to look at more, they would of said from the out, as I had also applied for LCC and they told me to mail a small portfolio with 30-40 images right at the begining. It doesn't seem right for them to constantly ask for more work. I might as well just give them my portfolio? lol.

What did you apply to at LCC? I applied to LCC for Illustration & Visual Media and LCF for Fashion Illustration. The international coordinators from UAL are visiting Canada this weekend and they asked me to bring in at least 20. Maybe it's because they will see me in person where as through mail they only have to make an informed judgement on what is given?
Anywho! Whatever the reasons may be, good luck to you and everyone applying. UAL is really making us work hard! I think this will pay off. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by quellebelle
What did you apply to at LCC? I applied to LCC for Illustration & Visual Media and LCF for Fashion Illustration. The international coordinators from UAL are visiting Canada this weekend and they asked me to bring in at least 20. Maybe it's because they will see me in person where as through mail they only have to make an informed judgement on what is given?
Anywho! Whatever the reasons may be, good luck to you and everyone applying. UAL is really making us work hard! I think this will pay off. :biggrin:

Same for both courses!
And they do like to make us run about a lot, haha.
Reply 11
Say you're pro gay and you're golden
Reply 12
Is anyone applying for Fashion and Business Studies at Brighton? I have my interview on Wednesday and the letter said I have to fill out a questionnaire before the interview. I have no idea what it'll be like or what questions will be on it! :s-smilie:
Reply 13
I've applied for BA Illustration, I sent my online portfolio mid February but still haven't heard anything back about an interview. Super nervous that ill just get rejected and no interview haha I think I must check my emails around 10 times a day. I have my Kingston interview on Wednesday.
Reply 14
I've got an interview for BA Illustration on the 23rd of March... Anyone else on the same day from London? I might have to catch a train by the looks of it.
Reply 15
Oh this waiting game is awful! Well done everyone whos got interviews! Im still waiting. So nervious. This is my illustration online portfolio i sent them http://www.flickr.com/photos/1052925253/
Reply 16
Hey zhin I have my illustration interview on the 23rd too and in the morning session, only recieved my interview letter on monday.. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Bonoffee
Hey zhin I have my illustration interview on the 23rd too and in the morning session, only recieved my interview letter on monday.. :smile:

Same! I even got my letter on Monday too lol. Where do you live at the moment?
Reply 18
I only live about 15-20 mins from Brighton in the countryside so it's not far for me! :smile: are you nervous atall?!
Reply 19
Ah you live in London that's a bit of a journey but in all honesty it's not that bad from London victoria to Brighton :smile: but it may be quite hectic as it would be rush hour! :smile:
oh quellebelle I didn't send a flickr.. Just my blog :smile:

bonnieairlie.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Latest