The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cazzaraz
Hi all, I got an email this morning to say I've been put on the reserve list (I auditioned in February, recall on 22nd like lara5 and timefortea). Really really gutted but I suppose not overly surprised as it had been so long and it was starting to feel like it wasn't going to happen. I had been hoping to get a para place though (they said at the recall that if we didn't get an olympics place we'd be likely to get offered a para place, so I'm sad that didn't happen).

I'll still be hoping I get a place but I imagine they already have loads of reserves ready to fill places so there isn't much chance. But I guess you never know!

Well done to everyone who's recently heard they got a place, and have an amazing time at rehearsals everyone :smile:

I'm so sorry Cazzaraz, you must be feeling so disappointed right now. Don't give up all hope because I'm sure they will not be allocating places to reserves on a first come first served basis - they are looking for very specific things for very specific segments.

Have you thought about contacting them and offering your services behind-the-scenes - props etc. - it may be worth a go and then you could still be involved in some way.

At least you auditioned and had that great experience - not many people can say that. Good luck!
Reply 6641
Original post by Cazzaraz
Hi all, I got an email this morning to say I've been put on the reserve list (I auditioned in February, recall on 22nd like lara5 and timefortea). Really really gutted but I suppose not overly surprised as it had been so long and it was starting to feel like it wasn't going to happen. I had been hoping to get a para place though (they said at the recall that if we didn't get an olympics place we'd be likely to get offered a para place, so I'm sad that didn't happen).

I'll still be hoping I get a place but I imagine they already have loads of reserves ready to fill places so there isn't much chance. But I guess you never know!

Well done to everyone who's recently heard they got a place, and have an amazing time at rehearsals everyone :smile:

Hi, Cazzaraz. Sorry you didn't get in this time but it ain't over til its over.
Sorry timefortea, Lara 5 and Cazzaraz that you heard about reserve places but hopefully you may hear more positive news soon if people drop out of rehearsals. Timefortea I know you have been doing props and it sounds a lot of fun, especially as you seem to be involved with all 4 rehearsals!
Original post by MsIs
I am in the evening.

Great! I'm on the Props team and have been asked to attend the rehearsal- which group are you in and what does your group do? Is it your first rehearsal?
Reply 6644
Original post by timefortea
Great! I'm on the Props team and have been asked to attend the rehearsal- which group are you in and what does your group do? Is it your first rehearsal?

Oo fab - I'm in 47d, dance and movement, and this will be our second rehearsal date. Hope to see /meet you there.:hi:
Original post by cornishscot
The only bit of possible and rather obvious discrimination (which I agree, legally, is not enforceable in a volunteer situation anyway) is publicly advertising for and then holding a second round of auditions specifically for "men with rhythm"

Except that we had more female auditionees than males (at least on TSR) during Feb (28 women, 25 men and 2 unknown). Proportionately more men got offers but women weren't discriminated against in terms of taking part in the auditions. Besides, I seem to recall that one of the few places where discrimination legislation holds less sway is in the artistic arena. I'm pretty sure that so long as they can say that everyone is proportionately represented, they'd be fine. They have never said they'd take the best dancers/drummers/actors and I seem to recall even at the auditions, them saying that they might go for a certain look.

Original post by hutsulka
This is England so there is every chance it would rain on the big night, as far as I know the stadium doesn't have a roof (though correct me if I am wrong, I thought it only covers spectators)

Nope, no roof - or at least one which only covers part of the upper tier depending on which way the wind is blowing. It actually really doesn't rain that much (or for that long) in London usually and I'm pretty sure that our volunteer paperwork does point out the fact that we may get wet.

Original post by maclondon
good things come to those that wait! :smile:

Cast Offer, 44 FOP :smile:

very very very very very happy

Whooop! Whooooop! That is excellent excellent news. I actually let out a cheer when I first read this - so so happy for you and patience is most definitely a virtue.

Sorry Lara5 and Cazzarazz about your reserve news - and timefortea, good call on going for props!

Original post by decepticon87
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of recall people out there getting definite ‘no answers’ or is it simply that there is still a fair few of us on reserve or unheard status?

We had one 'no' from the first audition stage on TSR and someone's friend who got a no from the second stage but otherwise no. Those without a cast offer are generally reserves.

Synchronised swimming was fun. The aquatic centre was cool (or rather quite warm!) and got chatting to a Gamesmaker who'd been for training in the Olympic Stadium this afternoon on the Tube home (with his freebie Adidas goodies)

Couple of panoramics (click and drag round them) of the stadium and the aquatic centre that people might like
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pinnerite
Sorry timefortea, Lara 5 and Cazzaraz that you heard about reserve places but hopefully you may hear more positive news soon if people drop out of rehearsals. Timefortea I know you have been doing props and it sounds a lot of fun, especially as you seem to be involved with all 4 rehearsals!

Absolutely- I feel very very very fortunate and lucky to be part of it through the Props team! And we've already been given a sneak preview of the ceremonies- they are more spectacular and breathtaking than I could possibly have imagined! Start our sessions this week! Hurrah!
Absolutely- I feel very very very fortunate and lucky to be part of it through the Props team! And we've already been given a sneak preview of the ceremonies- they are more spectacular and breathtaking than I could possibly have imagined! Start our sessions this week! Hurrah!

Woo hoo!! That's just made me incredibly excited for my first rehearsal on Tuesday! :smile:
Original post by Lara5
All this wait and all I got was "... we are still very interested in keeping you as a reserve performer and therefore have placed you on our Volunteer Performer reserve list."
:frown:
My mum was at the same audition but hasn't got her email yet. Fingers crossed for her! But yeah, it would be weird seeing her perform when I'M the dancer in the family! :/ I'm not sure how I feel about the whole situation just yet...

Ohhhh nooooo! Sorry to hear. Wish they give us a chance to all reserves. Finger crossed Lara

Timefortea I have my first rehearsal on Tuesday 1st May. If you are doing props that evening let me know - it would be lovely to meet up with you!
I am so hoping to hear tomorrow . Can you remind me if there is anyone else still waiting who had their recall on Feb 23 rd (2pm to be very specific) . Congratulations to all who have heard this weekend
maclondon - from our 6-8 week wait estimate, you've waited over 20! 144 days to be precise!

brownbear - we've got 9 from 23 Feb (sorry, I don't have times noted) with 3 Para opens, 1 Para both and 5 waiting to hear (one of whom is you)
Reply 6653
Hi

Have been lurking for a few weeks - was a student once, now working at a Uni.
Have, an offer for the OCC. One question that some of you who have started rehearsals may be able to answer:

Are the Oyster cards valid only on individual preset rehearsal days, or, for instance, are they valid on days adjacent to rehearsal days? If people need to arrive, for example, the day before, will they be able to use the cards, or will they have to purchase additional travel cards?

Cheers
Original post by Pinnerite
Timefortea I have my first rehearsal on Tuesday 1st May. If you are doing props that evening let me know - it would be lovely to meet up with you!

Sadly I'm not doing it that day- its my 30th birthday that day and we're going away on holiday for a week- its an absolute surprise and I haven't a clue where I'm going!! But when are you rehearsing after that? Hopefully it'll be a date I'm going to be there! It would be lovely to meet you too!
Reply 6655
Wearing my Olympic socks in the hope all the not heards get converted to cast members today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6656
Original post by phkrh
Hi

Have been lurking for a few weeks - was a student once, now working at a Uni.
Have, an offer for the OCC. One question that some of you who have started rehearsals may be able to answer:

Are the Oyster cards valid only on individual preset rehearsal days, or, for instance, are they valid on days adjacent to rehearsal days? If people need to arrive, for example, the day before, will they be able to use the cards, or will they have to purchase additional travel cards?

Cheers

Know only that they are for use to and from rehearsals. Would be wise to check with your cast co-ordinator. Congrats on your offer and hi and welcome to the forum.:hello:
Reply 6657
Original post by 42RAFIKI
Wearing my Olympic socks in the hope all the not heards get converted to cast members today.

Wow Rafiki! Here's hoping too for all you not heards. :gthumb:
Reply 6658
Original post by Flakeydom

Synchronised swimming was fun. The aquatic centre was cool (or rather quite warm!) and got chatting to a Gamesmaker who'd been for training in the Olympic Stadium this afternoon on the Tube home (with his freebie Adidas goodies)

Couple of panoramics (click and drag round them) of the stadium and the aquatic centre that people might like

Nice pics, thanks Flakey. The aquatic centre looks just as fabulous (or more so) from the inside as it does on the the outside -must say this is one of my favourite buildings (had a friend who worked on it so biased, but it is a well designed structure).
Reply 6659
Original post by lympics

Congrats ElleElle on your offer..I too received an offer for both opening and closing ceremonies in the Paras in 90-Group PLB, same role description. I felt like you at first that I really thought or hoped I would be offered a dancing role but I'm really just happy to be part of the whole event. Just for reference I first auditioned on the 14th Feb with my recall on the 23rd of Feb.
x

I was at exactly the same auditions as you (14th and 23rd), so too was my partner, but we've heard nothing yet. I'm trying to stay positive but the disregard that casting has shown us definitely dampens the enthusiasm. They're obviously struggling with the scale of the task, which is a bit of a worry as we are the ones the one's that'll look like muppets (hopefully not literally) if it's not spectacular enough.

Latest