The Student Room Group

to get an a* in maths what do i need for statistics

question as above.

Scroll to see replies

A Level? Well for A* at A level you need 90% between C3 and C4, and 80% overall (C1-4 + 2 applied units). So if you're doing one statistics, the minimum you can get away with is not turning up providing you get 100% or near enough in other modules. You can drop 20 UMS in that situation in other exams.

If you're doing 2 statistics, then you will need a 40% average over the two, providing you get 100% in all other modules.

It's a silly answer in all fairness, but without any other information, it's testing the bounds of what's possible. Do you have any grades to date?
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringGenius
A Level? Well for A* at A level you need 90% between C3 and C4, and 80% overall (C1-4 + 2 applied units). So if you're doing one statistics, the minimum you can get away with is not turning up providing you get 100% or near enough in other modules. You can drop 20 UMS in that situation in other exams.

If you're doing 2 statistics, then you will need a 40% average over the two, providing you get 100% in all other modules.

It's a silly answer in all fairness, but without any other information, it's testing the bounds of what's possible. Do you have any grades to date?

are u sure is only 40% for the two units of statistics. If so,then what's the point of it.
Reply 3
It's 40% IF you get 100% in all of the others.
Original post by askquestions
are u sure is only 40% for the two units of statistics. If so,then what's the point of it.

as above poster said, only if you get 100% in all other units. You need 80% overall and 90% in C3 and 4. by getting 100% in the other four you get your 90% average over c3 and C4, and 400/600 (automatic C grade), then, you need 480/600 to get an A. You can do this with the remaining two units by getting a 40% average.

It's silly, i know, but this is an extreme situation. if someone is capable of getting 100% in all their pure units, I see no reason to do quite so badly in statistics. What modules are you taking?
Too look at the minimum, basically, average of 90 for c3 and c4.

And from this, however many ums points you drop in AS, that is how much you need in S1 if you're taking it at A2 to get the overall 80%.

That means the minimum that you get in AS would be 200/300 as you'd need 100 in S1 to get the A*.
Reply 6
Whats the ums required in total for an A*? with c1-4 and 2 other modules, this is confusing me cos you guys are saying 80%, which i thought would be just an A
Reply 7
Original post by HypErTwisT
Whats the ums required in total for an A*? with c1-4 and 2 other modules, this is confusing me cos you guys are saying 80%, which i thought would be just an A

Suprises me that A level maths students continue to have difficulty with the maths of calculating an A*
You need a total of at least 480 UMS from the 6 units of which a combined UMS of at least 180 must be achieved in C3+C4
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
Suprises me that A level maths students continue to have difficulty with the maths of calculating an A*
You need a total of at least 480 UMS from the 6 units of which a combined UMS of at least 180 must be achieved in C3+C4

I suppose that is a tad ironic is'nt it. But then again, I have never had anyone actually talk me through it, I thought you just needed 90% in total to get a* but oh well, thanks
Reply 9
Original post by HypErTwisT
I suppose that is a tad ironic is'nt it. But then again, I have never had anyone actually talk me through it, I thought you just needed 90% in total to get a* but oh well, thanks

As long as you are doing the UK domestic examiners it's as I described. The CIE rules are different.
Reply 10
as above poster said, only if you get 100% in all other units. You need 80% overall and 90% in C3 and 4. by getting 100% in the other four you get your 90% average over c3 and C4, and 400/600 (automatic C grade), then, you need 480/600 to get an A. You can do this with the remaining two units by getting a 40% average.

It's silly, i know, but this is an extreme situation. if someone is capable of getting 100% in all their pure units, I see no reason to do quite so badly in statistics. What modules are you taking?

I think I can get minimum 80% at c1,c2 and s2 and i did so bad at s1, i think i can only get 46% at s1. Can I still get an A* if i achieve 90% at c3 and c4.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I can get minimum 80% at c1,c2 and s2 and i did so bad at s1, i think i can only get 46% at s1. Can I still get an A* if i achieve 90% at c3 and c4.

if you got the following:

C1: 80
C2: 80
C3: 90
C4: 90
S1: 46
S2: 80

then you would get a B overall (466/600). Why such a precise number for Statistics? I'm sure you did better :smile:

If that is the case, unless you are at the end of A2, then why not retake stats if you do so badly, you only need 60% (if those provisionals are realised) to get an A* :smile:

Hold on a second...
If they only look at your average over C3 and C4 when deciding whether or not you get an A*, then how come you can get an a* on applied modules? Is it just for FM additional A2?
Reply 13
Original post by When you see it...
Hold on a second...
If they only look at your average over C3 and C4 when deciding whether or not you get an A*, then how come you can get an a* on applied modules? Is it just for FM additional A2?

Some people like to say if they got an 'A*' in a module if they got 90+ UMS module when in reality that doesn't mean anything as such. But yes, for further maths they'll look you'll need 480 UMS over 6 modules, with 270 UMS over 3 A2 modules (another 2 and above, eg s2, s3, m2, m3, m4, d2 etc.) :smile:
Reply 14
Hold on a second...

None of the individual module grades really mean anything - they're more as a guide as to how well you did. The UMS marks are what count as those are used to calculate the overall grade for the A-level.

if you got the following:

C1: 80
C2: 80
C3: 90
C4: 90
S1: 46
S2: 80

then you would get a B overall (466/600). Why such a precise number for Statistics? I'm sure you did better :smile:

If that is the case, unless you are at the end of A2, then why not retake stats if you do so badly, you only need 60% (if those provisionals are realised) to get an A* :smile:

Hold on a second...

For maths A level you need 80% overall and 90% in A2

For futher maths you need 90% over your best three units and 80% overall

the only way you can get an A* in applied units is if you id an A level in them (There are 6 S units and 6 M so I assume you can do an A Level?)
Reply 16

For maths A level you need 80% overall and 90% in A2
90% average in C3/C4 not 90% in A2 with maths

For futher maths you need 90% over your best three units and 80% overall

the only way you can get an A* in applied units is if you id an A level in them (There are 6 S units and 6 M so I assume you can do an A Level?)

Not sure what you mean here. I'm not aware of such a thing as an 'a-level in mechanics' although I might have heard of a statistics a-level being mentioned before. They're certainly not mentioned in the Edexcel specification last time I checked but I don't know about other boards.
Original post by Andy Ftw
Some people like to say if they got an 'A*' in a module if they got 90+ UMS module when in reality that doesn't mean anything as such. But yes, for further maths they'll look you'll need 480 UMS over 6 modules, with 270 UMS over 3 A2 modules (another 2 and above, eg s2, s3, m2, m3, m4, d2 etc.) :smile:

Original post by ttoby
None of the individual module grades really mean anything - they're more as a guide as to how well you did. The UMS marks are what count as those are used to calculate the overall grade for the A-level.

90% in A2

You all seem to be saying different things. What I'm asking is that do they use the A2 applied unit in working out if you got an A* if you only do the standard A level? On the Edexcel grade boundaries, it says you can get an A* in M2-5 and S2-4 and D2. Does that not mean it is used to work out if you got an A* in normal A2 maths or is it just used in the FM additional thing?
So it's not just C3 and C4 that are used in the A* calculation?
Reply 18
You all seem to be saying different things. What I'm asking is that do they use the A2 applied unit in working out if you got an A* if you only do the standard A level? On the Edexcel grade boundaries, it says you can get an A* in M2-5 and S2-4 and D2. Does that not mean it is used to work out if you got an A* in normal A2 maths or is it just used in the FM additional thing?
So it's not just C3 and C4 that are used in the A* calculation?

For just normal maths then yes it's only C3 & C4 used in the A* calculation (180/200 combined between the two). And obviously needing 480 UMS overall over the 6 units, but 90UMS+ doesn't matter in any of the other modules, if you are not doing further maths.

eg.

C1 - 100, C2 - 100, C3 - 85, C4 - 89, M1 - 100, M2 - 100 [overall]

C1 - 100, C2 - 100, C3 - 85, C4 - 95, M1 - 80, M2 - 80 [overall]
Original post by Andy Ftw
For just normal maths then yes it's only C3 & C4 used in the A* calculation (180/200 combined between the two). And obviously needing 480 UMS overall over the 6 units, but 90UMS+ doesn't matter in any of the other modules, if you are not doing further maths.

eg.

C1 - 100, C2 - 100, C3 - 85, C4 - 89, M1 - 100, M2 - 100 [overall]

C1 - 100, C2 - 100, C3 - 85, C4 - 95, M1 - 80, M2 - 80 [overall]

Thanks for trying to help and everything, but I think I'll just check the Edexcel website closer to my M2 exam. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just everyone seems to be saying different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending