The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulbasaur
I'm in a similar position. I'll most likely end up with a low B (but if the exam goes horribly I wouldn't discount the chance of a high C :frown: ) in physics, applying for geography. My other subjects are maths, geography and history so I would say physics is the most irrelevant. If my January grades and how well my exams are going so far is anything to go by, I think I'll have 90%+ in two and maybe just under, around 88-89 in the other.

Add in the fact that I'm going to a summer school in august, do you think I'd be disadvantaged against other applicants because of my low B?

It would be impossible, and very stupid of me, to suggest your chances of getting an offer. Your whole application is considered when they make a decision, so that means reference, PS, exam results and, of course, the interviews (should you make it that far). I can only offer some information regarding a friend of mine who received an offer. Said friend had AABB at AS, and received an offer for ASNAC. Ultimately, if you can prove yourself to be worthy of a place, you will get one. There is a correlation between academic achievement and people who achieve offers, but that by no means puts you at an instant disadvantage.

Best of luck!
I am hoping to do a PhD in English Literature in Cambridge beginning October 2013 however I am weary of my grades as I attained only a middling 2.1 (the degree was split 50/50 in my two last years 2.2 in 2nd year but attained a 1.1 in third year) in my undergraduate degree however I attained a 1.1 (All As) in my masters degree both from a prominent Irish university.

Will my undergraduate results bear badly on my chances?
Reply 9022
GCSEs:

CCCCCC

English Lang
English Lit
Maths
History
French
Food Tech

A levels:

A*A*A*a*

English Lit
Music
Economics
Politics
Original post by maths134
Ok first of all, what are the 16 GCSE's in btw? (thats a lot of GCSE's!). Secondly, do not take psychology, as said above take further maths if it is offered. You should also probably decided between Engineering and Architecture first...

hiya yeah I was just thinking about it these few days -

I think on GCSE results day I'll be changing my AS options to either:
Art, Physics, Maths, Geography
or
Art, Physics, Maths, Chemistry

Not further maths because apparently it's not regarded as a 'desirable' subject by some Unis according to my physics teacher who took FM, Maths, Physics and went into Mechanical Engineering but flunked the degree and did physics.

But the problem is that I'm struggling to hit high exam scores for geography.. and there's a lot of stuff to remember for it - case study detail.. but according to 6th formers who took geography in previous years, they've said that Unis are regarding geography to be a science? and that it's not a lot different to GCSE

I'm doing OK in Chemistry compared to Physics.. I feel like I struggle in lessons but do OK in exams

^^Considering Chemistry/Geography for AS
Original post by GrantG
GCSEs:

CCCCCC

English Lang
English Lit
Maths
History
French
Food Tech

A levels:

A*A*A*a*

English Lit
Music
Economics
Politics

Are these actual grades or what you expect to get? :confused: Or are you a troll?

Seems strange how you went from a C at English Lit to an A*, it's not really a subject you can 'learn' to get such drastic improvements in...
Reply 9025
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Are these actual grades or what you expect to get? :confused: Or are you a troll?

Seems strange how you went from a C at English Lit to an A*, it's not really a subject you can 'learn' to get such drastic improvements in...

Yes, I worked hard over the 9 week summer holidays by revising via CGP books :smile:

I got all those grades, currently on a GAP teaching English in Cambodia to orphaned giraffes :wink:

No in all seriousness I am on a gap doing odd jobs down under.

I am worried about applying. I am not the stereotypical Cambodian orphaned giraffe teaching toff :P
Original post by GrantG
GCSEs:

CCCCCC

English Lang
English Lit
Maths
History
French
Food Tech

A levels:

A*A*A*a*

English Lit
Music
Economics
Politics

What you've posted here is not consistent with other things you've been saying on this forum... So you've lied at least once.

Why do people bother lying? The whole point of this is to get an honest, neutral and discrete opinion.
Reply 9027
Original post by Llewellyn
What you've posted here is not consistent with other things you've been saying on this forum... So you've lied at least once.

Why do people bother lying? The whole point of this is to get an honest, neutral and discrete opinion.

Just answer the Q please. It's not my grades.
Original post by GrantG

Are those grades good enough for Cambridge? Yes (because of the A levels).

It would be extremely unusual for someone to achieve that.
Original post by GrantG

Personally, I'd say the A-levels of that calibre by far outshine the GCSE results, but I'm curious about the little a*. Is that EPQ? And is this a post A-level applicant?
Reply 9030
Original post by Oromis263
Personally, I'd say the A-levels of that calibre by far outshine the GCSE results, but I'm curious about the little a*. Is that EPQ? And is this a post A-level applicant?

My brother's grades btw

He's on a gap year and the little a* is AS.
Original post by GrantG
My brother's grades btw

You were doing sooooo well up until that. :rolleyes:
Original post by GrantG
My brother's grades btw

You can't get a* at AS?
Original post by GrantG
My brother's grades btw

You can't get an A* at AS :no:
Reply 9034
Original post by chickenonsteroids
You can't get an A* at AS :no:

My brothers a liar!! I dunno he told me he got 100% A*s at a level when I asked him his A levels.
Original post by GrantG
My brothers a liar!! I dunno he told me he got 100% A*s at a level when I asked him his A levels.

He didn't lie. He just didn't mean 'AS Level' when he said 'A Level'.
Reply 9036
Original post by LeSacMagique
He didn't lie. He just didn't mean 'AS Level' when he said 'A Level'.

Oh I'll ask him now brb
Reply 9037
My brother got:

A*A*A*a

:smile:
Original post by GrantG
My brother got:

A*A*A*a

:smile:

So he's on his gap year and taking another gap year next year...? :s-smilie:

His A Level grades are good but (forgive me) seem terribly unrealistic considering his poor GCSE results. If he somehow has achieved this though, then he has a shot, but it's impossible to say whether he'll get a place - even with 12 A*s and 5 A*s at A Level it'd be impossible to guarantee him a place.
Reply 9039
Original post by HeyyImRyan
So he's on his gap year and taking another gap year next year...? :s-smilie:

His A Level grades are good but (forgive me) seem terribly unrealistic considering his poor GCSE results. If he somehow has achieved this though, then he has a shot, but it's impossible to say whether he'll get a place - even with 12 A*s and 5 A*s at A Level it'd be impossible to guarantee him a place.

His ECs are:

Oz work abroad
Trek America
Charity work
Fundraising
Paralympic reporting
Teaching English in China

Latest

Trending

Trending