The Student Room Group

Official 2012 Biochemistry Applicants*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraxjane
I just wondered the pros and cons of the sandwich compared to MSci. I'm looking to do a phd after so thought the year placement would be good experience for that.

It really depends on what the placement year and the MSci year are like at Exeter. A lot of the time placement means you'll be working for a company, carrying out the tasks of whatever R&D projects they have going at the moment. However, most MSci years involve you carrying out an original research project from start to finish (in essence it would be the same as you doing an MRes after your undergrad). If PhD is your goal then I would imagine doing the MSci is more beneficial in terms of you getting some real research experience. But it really depends on the specific placement opportunities/MSci year program in question. So look into those before you make a decision.
Reply 341
Original post by thelovecats
Anyone here definitely firmed Sheffield?

Me!!! Bristol's my insurance :smile:
Reply 342
My firm choice is York and my insurance is UCL but I still have to pass and English level exam and it's going to be reaaaally difficult :frown:
Original post by Plankey
Me!!! Bristol's my insurance :smile:

:biggrin: see you in september then!
Reply 344
Original post by thelovecats
:biggrin: see you in september then!

Make that september 2013, I'm taking a gap year :biggrin:. Sorry :tongue:
Reply 345
I don't actually believe most people on here in regards to their GCSE scores, they just don't want to be seen as the dumbass.
Reply 346
Original post by 365andaquarter
I've got all 5 of my offers back:
Strathclyde (BScBiochem with Pharmacology): Conditional BBB
Aberdeen (MSci Biochem with Ind. Exp.): Conditional ABB
Glasgow (Bsc Biochem with option to do Msci): Conditional ABB
Edinburgh (Bsc Biochem): Conditional AAA
St. Andrews: UNCONDITIONAL! :biggrin:

I don't know whether to go to St. Andrews or Glasgow though, I loved the Glasgow campus and the Glasgow course gives me the chance of a year abroad or a year in industry but St. Andrews has an amazing reputation.

Just wondering where you guys think I should go in terms of better job prospects/employability after I graduate?

How did you get unconditional for St. Andrews?...Why are you thinking of Glasgow ahead of Edinburgh?
Reply 347
GCSE's - 2As 4Bs 3Cs
BTEC - D*D*D*

Got offers from Manchester, Aberdeen, UEA and Sussex.

Firmed Sussex.
Insured UEA.
Original post by Bodmas
Got exactly the same choice to make here as well! Bath is riding high at the moment in its general status and has always been a well-respected university. Plus, it's a lovely campus, and if you find Bath itself dull or unattractive then frankly, there is no hope for you. Cardiff might not look quite as thrilling, but bear in mind it has *two* Nobel Prize-winners in its Biochemistry dept (how many places can you name outside an Ivy League university with that sort of claim?) and its research status is likely to soar in the next research assessment exercise (bear in mind the current RAE figures are for 2000-2007, which is like prehistory in the biological sciences these days). Cardiff probably wins out in terms of research, but equally, you've got to enjoy your time at uni or you won't get the most out of your studies, and Bath looks a nicer place to live. Decisions, decisions ...

I've only just seen your reply by chance! I picked Bath in the end :smile: what did you go for?
Reply 349
I'm thinking of applying to do biochemistry I'd be really interested in anyones views on where they thought was best and worse based on their experiences applying this year
Reply 350
Original post by franny75
I'm thinking of applying to do biochemistry I'd be really interested in anyones views on where they thought was best and worse based on their experiences applying this year

london met is amazing
jus a tip for u future biochems...you dont have to buy all the books...off to uncle google i go :colone:
Reply 352

What grades are you getting? It will determine what universities to talk about.
Reply 353
Hoping for 4 A's at AS if all goes well - I was on track (just about) but hard to say how latest exams have gone :frown:
Original post by b_m_k
How did you get unconditional for St. Andrews?...Why are you thinking of Glasgow ahead of Edinburgh?

No idea, my predicted grades for A2 are pretty average for St. Andrews I'd have thought with A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Geography. It only really leaves the option of my personal statement having caught the eye of one of the admissions staff. :tongue:

As for the second question, I disliked the science campus in Edinburgh. In hindsight I couldn't really point out why I disliked it, I just know I prefer the more campus like and integrated feel of Glasgow.

Neither matter know though as I've firmed my offer from St. Andrews and will be heading there in September. :smile:
Reply 355
Hey, I'm looking for some helpful advice.
I'm still undecided about my choices for September, I'm trying to choose between
Biological Sciences at Leeds (offer ABB)
Biochemistry at Nottingham (ABB)
or Biochemistry at Exeter (BBB)
Thankfully I have until the 7th of June to decide. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
x
Hoping for 4 A's at AS if all goes well - I was on track (just about) but hard to say how latest exams have gone :frown:

Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Sheffield and York are probably the best for biochem. Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge is also a good option.
Original post by Starrrz
Hey, I'm looking for some helpful advice.
I'm still undecided about my choices for September, I'm trying to choose between
Biological Sciences at Leeds (offer ABB)
Biochemistry at Nottingham (ABB)
or Biochemistry at Exeter (BBB)
Thankfully I have until the 7th of June to decide. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
x

I'd firm Nottingham and insurance Exeter. Make sure you've looked at all the courses to see which one suits you the best, though. And check out the campuses/ facilities/ halls and what not.
Reply 358
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
I'd firm Nottingham and insurance Exeter. Make sure you've looked at all the courses to see which one suits you the best, though. And check out the campuses/ facilities/ halls and what not.

Thank you for your reply, it's a lot to think through so I'm glad to hear another's opinion! :smile:
i'm another potential biochemistry applicant wondering where to apply.
predicted 5As at AS in chemistry, maths, further maths, biology and archaeology. dropping archaeology and currently predicted A*A*A*A at A2
any reccomendations?

Quick Reply

Latest