The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Current students - what do you think of Anglia Ruskin Uni

I've heard mixed reviews about Anglia Ruskin Uni, and it's one I'm really considering applying to. I'm looking to do the Zoology with Foundation Year Degree and the only review I've found on it was pretty negative.

I was wondering if any Anglia Ruskin students/friends of students could shine a little light?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Living in Norfolk I know a fair few who've gone, they all had a really fun time and many have gone on to get decent enough jobs afterwards. Sure it's not the best University ever but working hard and getting a decent degree from there is still a very employable thing, take an open day though to be sure.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Original post by LaDaniel
I've heard mixed reviews about Anglia Ruskin Uni, and it's one I'm really considering applying to. I'm looking to do the Zoology with Foundation Year Degree and the only review I've found on it was pretty negative.

I was wondering if any Anglia Ruskin students/friends of students could shine a little light?

Thanks!

I did optometry at Anglia Ruskin. About the only bad thing I have to say about it is the timetabling could have been better.
One of my friends goes there and I he likes it.

Try not to be too influenced by league tables when making your decision because it's also very important that you're happy there and (providing you're applying for 2013 entry) you've got plenty of time to go to all the open days. I definitely recommend going to open days because if I hadn't gone to any I'd probably be going to the university that I really hated at the open day lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm at Cambridge so I know the city pretty well and Anglia Ruskin's kinda on a main road, as opposed to being in the centre, but it's not what I'd call a "rough" area! The clubs are generally OK - they tend to get fairly packed, but I've never seen any trouble. :dontknow:

I'm not sure what the rate of theft/burglaries is for Ruskin students since people at Cambridge tend to live in college accommodation (security's that tight that it's like living in a castle!), but the only "ongoing" crime problem I'm aware of is the sex attacker, who tends to target young female students. Having said that, things have gone quiet and I haven't heard any more about him within the past few months. :indiff:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I think my best bet will be to go to an Open Day then. I'm also thinking about Manchester Uni which will also have it's bad areas like every city does, I reckon you just have to take care of yourself. :smile:
Original post by Tortious

I'm at Cambridge so I know the city pretty well and Anglia Ruskin's kinda on a main road, as opposed to being in the centre, but it's not what I'd call a "rough" area! The clubs are generally OK - they tend to get fairly packed, but I've never seen any trouble. :dontknow:

I'm not sure what the rate of theft/burglaries is for Ruskin students since people at Cambridge tend to live in college accommodation (security's that tight that it's like living in a castle!), but the only "ongoing" crime problem I'm aware of is the sex attacker, who tends to target young female students. Having said that, things have gone quiet and I haven't heard any more about him within the past few months. :indiff:

ARU has two campuses though, so maybe that's the other one? I would agree that the crime rate in Cambridge seems pretty low from the perspective of a student, though I rarely leave the very centre of the city.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by milienhaus
ARU has two campuses though, so maybe that's the other one? I would agree that the crime rate in Cambridge seems pretty low from the perspective of a student, though I rarely leave the very centre of the city.

Ah, very good point. I've had a look at the Chelmsford campus on Google Maps and there doesn't look to be much (else) there - it's got a few shops and looks a bit like Mill Road!

But yeah, as OP says, the best way to get a feel is through an open day. :dontknow:
Zoology will fall under the Dept of Life Sciences which is based at the Cambridge campus. This campus isn't in the city centre but is close enough for hanging out there if need be. I studied there for 4 yrs and graduated last year and never experienced any crime issues, not even along Mill Road.

The university doesn't have the best reputation and there are issues around timetabling and administration, but even higher ranked uni's can suffer from this.

Teaching quality can vary depending on the type of lecturer(s) you have...there are some great lecturers and also some poor ones. In my case (I did Biomedical Science), most of them were al-right. I just hope that the uni can spend more on resources such as lab equipment and lab space, as that was lacking during my time there.

The university has had additional building works done, which has increased its capacity and they are working on making ARU a better uni. So, I can see it only getting better. I had my frustrations but all in all it was a good experience and I had fun and also worked very hard.

Its what you make of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
ARU is not a bad place to study it has a slightly poor rep due to it previously being a polytechnic AND because its based from the same place as one of the most historic well known educational establishments on the planet.

imo you should pick a uni on the basis of the reputation of a course not the place itself

the crime rate is pretty low (unless youre one of the idiots who leaves their back door unlocked, windows open with a big sign saying rob me or walks accross parkers piece at 4am 5hitfaced by yourself), central Cambridge is quite a small quiet place really compared to most
Reply 10
Hey, im not sure IF im posting this in the right place but its just a quick question for someone with the knowledge of the optomety job market in relation to studying at ARU

I have a place at anglia ruskin university to study optom, i didnt apply when everyone else using ucas did so i just saw the courses available through clearing. I keep hearing negative things about ARU, will studying there affect my ability to get a job after i graduate?

I wouldnt think it mattered considering its accredited.

Thanks.
Reply 11
I'm starting at ARU in two weeks to do zoology with foundation and after much reserch and going to open days I decided that ARU was the most intresting looking zoology course of all the unis I looked at and I consider that to be far more important then any univrsity chart table or satistics.
I'd just like to speak as a first year student at ARU (Cambridge campus) and say how I am quite literally having the time of my life. I'm staying in Peter Taylor House halls on campus which is fantastic because everywhere on campus is less than a 3-4 minute walk away, and I've made the best friends on my floor.

The university campus itself really is quite small, in comparison to the other universities I visited like Aston for example, but I like its size because it feels more cosy and homely.

The staff are amazing and cannot stress enough how important it is to us that we should talk about any issues or concerns we have whatsoever with our tutors, whether this be course-related or us feeling homesick or otherwise. The uni makes sure there is plenty of information on employment and there are many drop-in sessions and workshops you can visit to enhance your CV suited to your course/future career, and also offer jobs on campus.

The uni in terms of location really is absolutely ideal - everything is a walking distance away, you don't even need a bike (although you see like a thousand of them everywhere you look). The shopping centre is about a 5 minute walk away from the uni, and the town centre is a 10 minute walk away in the opposite direction. Not to mention Tesco express which is practically right on the uni's doorstep and such a life saver at times. The nightlife is good, I mean the main clubs people go to include Revs, Lola Lo's, The Place, Fez and Ballare, and there are lots of bars to visit too, and most places are also a walking distance away.

The downsides of the uni include that as of this year I believe, the student union bar went bust and so the not-very-big room where parties were held all the time is only open about once a month or so when there is a special occasion i.e. Halloween or Christmas etc. but that's pretty much the only negative thing I have to say about the uni. I absolutely love it.

Plus, on Mondays if you say "BLAM" to the person at the till at Nandos down the road you get a 20% student discount for being an ARU student :wink:

But yeah, all in all it's an amazing uni. I'm loving my course, the staff, the other students, and the uni itself. I've only been here 3 months, but I can't wait for the rest of the 3 years. ARU all the way :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I have heard pretty mixed things about it too. I actually think the university looks very nice.
Reply 14
Original post by britchick
I'd just like to speak as a first year student at ARU (Cambridge campus) and say how I am quite literally having the time of my life. I'm staying in Peter Taylor House halls on campus which is fantastic because everywhere on campus is less than a 3-4 minute walk away, and I've made the best friends on my floor.

The university campus itself really is quite small, in comparison to the other universities I visited like Aston for example, but I like its size because it feels more cosy and homely.

The staff are amazing and cannot stress enough how important it is to us that we should talk about any issues or concerns we have whatsoever with our tutors, whether this be course-related or us feeling homesick or otherwise. The uni makes sure there is plenty of information on employment and there are many drop-in sessions and workshops you can visit to enhance your CV suited to your course/future career, and also offer jobs on campus.

The uni in terms of location really is absolutely ideal - everything is a walking distance away, you don't even need a bike (although you see like a thousand of them everywhere you look). The shopping centre is about a 5 minute walk away from the uni, and the town centre is a 10 minute walk away in the opposite direction. Not to mention Tesco express which is practically right on the uni's doorstep and such a life saver at times. The nightlife is good, I mean the main clubs people go to include Revs, Lola Lo's, The Place, Fez and Ballare, and there are lots of bars to visit too, and most places are also a walking distance away.

The downsides of the uni include that as of this year I believe, the student union bar went bust and so the not-very-big room where parties were held all the time is only open about once a month or so when there is a special occasion i.e. Halloween or Christmas etc. but that's pretty much the only negative thing I have to say about the uni. I absolutely love it.

Plus, on Mondays if you say "BLAM" to the person at the till at Nandos down the road you get a 20% student discount for being an ARU student :wink:

But yeah, all in all it's an amazing uni. I'm loving my course, the staff, the other students, and the uni itself. I've only been here 3 months, but I can't wait for the rest of the 3 years. ARU all the way :smile:

Is this the Nando's in the centre on St Andrew's Street? :beard:
Reply 15

Having made ARU my firm choice and having just applied for accommodation (PT house was my second choice behind Swinhoe) this is very reassuring!

Can't wait to get started if i'm honest .... 9 bloody months wait though :mad: back to moving boxes around in a warehouse for now! :rolleyes:
Reply 16

This truly is VERY assuring... im trying to decide between ARU and Coventry University 2013 intake..... im not sure which of the two though... Help and advice would be Extremely appriciated! Thanks guys!
Reply 17
As a second year at the Cambridge campus I also have only positives to say about ARU. With assignments tutors must give your work back within 20 working days (this is quick compared to what many of my friends at other 'better' unis get); their feedback is useful and detailed; the tutors get to know you individually, and the uni's attendance monitoring gives you motivation to get to lectures. Student Services are also fantastic. They help out with any problem, no matter how tiny, and make you feel valued.
As to the odd comment about 'high crime rates' which a previous post described, I can safely say that that is *******s! Cambridge is a beautiful, safe city, and the uni is a minute walk to the police station!
Original post by siobhanne
As a second year at the Cambridge campus I also have only positives to say about ARU. With assignments tutors must give your work back within 20 working days (this is quick compared to what many of my friends at other 'better' unis get); their feedback is useful and detailed; the tutors get to know you individually, and the uni's attendance monitoring gives you motivation to get to lectures. Student Services are also fantastic. They help out with any problem, no matter how tiny, and make you feel valued.
As to the odd comment about 'high crime rates' which a previous post described, I can safely say that that is *******s! Cambridge is a beautiful, safe city, and the uni is a minute walk to the police station!

totally agree with your last point, I'm from Cambs and can say it's got pretty low crime rate for a city! :s-smilie: I think they mustve been talking about ARU chelmsford
Reply 19
Cambridge, unsurprisingly, is a beautiful city and has a lovely 'normal' feel about the place compared to other cities which are crawling with the Jeremy Kyle types you don't think really exist outside the Cambridge bubble. The Grafton Centre is virtually opposite the uni, and has lots of shops, quite a few new ones like a big h&m. Main town is about a 10 minute walk away, and that's where you can find a huge Wetherspoons pub, and about 5 other main clubs - all pretty decent and each put on student nights. Vodka Revolution put on the official ARU club nights and they're awesome. There's several nice pubs opposite the uni, including The Tram, The Baker and The Snug. The Baker is my favourite and has some great drinks deals and lovely, cheap meals.

The Uni has come a long way over the past couple of years. It was being developed 3 years ago and was, quite frankly, awful. But it's now been fully modernised throughout the main campus, and I'm lucky in that all my lectures and seminars are in the front building.

It's a small uni, and has a nice feel about the place. I'd recommend it to people who are wary about going to uni, as on some levels it feels like an easy transition from sixth form. Lots of clubs and societies to involve yourself with, but the uni sports field is a taxi ride away which is a pain and is one of the biggest downsides if you're into football or rugby.

There's a big swimming pool (not related to ARU, although they offer student prices) about a 1 minute walk away & there's an asda and a tesco about a 15 minute walk away.

Any questions, please ask. But don't be put off by league tables. I got straight A's at A level, but there's more to life than what others think and I'm on course to get a 1st at ARU. I'll be able to graduate being one of the lucky ones who can say I've had the best 3 years of my life, and that's purely down to ARU being such a friendly place to study in, and Cambridge being such a great city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending