The Student Room Group

Need 2 more AS levels, ideas on suitable combos? :)

So far I've chosen English literature and maths, I can't decide on the last two. I'm hoping to get an A or more in each subject at GCSE and I'm committed to working hard. I'd like to eliminate technology subjects, economics, languages, physics, history and geography due to lack of interest and because I didn't study them at GCSE.

Any ideas on what two AS levels I could choose? I'd like two that would leave me with a wide range of options. I thought about biology and chemistry but I'm clueless with practicals and don't really want to feel humiliated when I can't do the practicals properly. Pathetic I know but it's true. In the future, I have no idea what career I want to do so I need my a levels to leave a wide range of options for me.

Thank you for your answers, I appreciate them :smile:
Reply 1
If you aren't passionate about reading (especially the classics) I HIGHLY suggest you dont pick English literature.

Maths is always good. Why not do (as)further maths to?

If you want to keep ur options truly open i suggest you pick chemistry, its hard but you will be better off.
Reply 2
I'm trying not to choose further maths though because I'm not THAT good at maths, it's not really a subject I'm naturally good at and I'm probably only going to get an A at maths GCSE rather than an A*.

I loved chemistry at GCSE but the thing is, in our school we never did practicals, our teacher would already have it set up and so I have little knowledge of even how to set up an experiment properly, this would be really embarrassing and would probably hold me back from getting a good grade.

Also, the fact that it's considered to be the hardest A level really puts me off it! If not chemistry, I thought biology but then biology seems to not be worth very much on it's own.
Reply 3
Original post by Magenta96
I'm trying not to choose further maths though because I'm not THAT good at maths, it's not really a subject I'm naturally good at and I'm probably only going to get an A at maths GCSE rather than an A*.

I loved chemistry at GCSE but the thing is, in our school we never did practicals, our teacher would already have it set up and so I have little knowledge of even how to set up an experiment properly, this would be really embarrassing and would probably hold me back from getting a good grade.

Also, the fact that it's considered to be the hardest A level really puts me off it! If not chemistry, I thought biology but then biology seems to not be worth very much on it's own.

Hey! I agree with the above poster that you should Pick Chemistry to widen your options for University. With regards to you feeling that you aren't that good at practicals, I wouldn't really worry about this as to my knowledge most Colleges/Sixth Forms will have practical lessons which are for you to brush up on your practical skills and they are meant to prepare you for the practical investigations! Don't let the fact that you feel unconfident whilst doing practicals deter you from studying Chemistry! I'd agree that it is probably one of the hardest A levels but since you've mentioned above that you have an interest in it, surely that would mean that you will have the motivation to work hard and achieve the highest possible grade!

If you were to pick Biology too, it would definitely be beneficial to you as it really complements Chemistry!
I'd say, Chemistry and Biology. Then you've got 3 that really complement each other and one different subject because, a change is better than a rest as they say.

Don't worry about the practical side of Chemistry, I had little or no knowledge of how to operate equipment before AS and once I was there the practical tests were my absolute forte, they are not especially difficult to learn about - the difficult parts are processing the results which you wouldn't learn in year 11 anyway. Except maybe if you did triple I don't know, I only did double. My point is don't let that hold you back at all :-)

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Don't let the practicals put you off studying the science's is the its a minor part of the A level and it's easy to just copy to the person next to you :colonhash:
Reply 6
Practicals usually acount for around 20% of ur final as grade. However they aren't really that hard as long as u are focused when the teacher is explaining it to you. And also a lot of the times the teacher does try to give you answers subliminally because they can't outright spoonfeed . If you are planning on taking biology the English will help when writing essays, I hated English and my essays were all over the place , but English does help you structure ur work and plan it . Physics and maths go well together also.
Or English and psychology :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest