The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

A question about Dundee~

How is architecture apartment in Dundee?:confused:
Reply 1
The architecture school? Quite respectable, so far as I know.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
XXZ
OP
L i b
The architecture school? Quite respectable, so far as I know.

Got a conditional offer of architecture from Dundee, just wanne know how it is. :yep:
XXZ
Got a conditional offer of architecture from Dundee, just wanne know how it is. :yep:

Do you mean aesthetically? If so, horrible.
Reply 4
XXZ
OP
Indievertigo

I don't know.....just K100 architecture~:yep:
Reply 5
Indievertigo

Is school of architecture in Duncan of Jordanstone building? If so then I agree.

XXZ
How is architecture apartment in Dundee?:confused:

As far as I know the course is fairly well respected. I have a friend doing architecture who's just back from his placement year. Want me to bug him for info? :smile:
Reply 6
lolimemma
Is school of architecture in Duncan of Jordanstone building? If so then I agree.

Nah, I'm fairly sure architecture is in the Matthew Building rather than the Crawford Building which is the main DoJ one. The one on the left in this picture:

I actually like that building though - maybe not suitable for the location and such, but so brutalist that it almost hurts. Architects should appreciate that. Plus, a lot of the 60s buildings at Dundee aren't just put-it-up-quickly *****, but are properly done. They're a bit subtle with it - walking around 50s concrete areas that remind you of cathedral cloisters and Greek temples. I really think the Dundee campus works well - except for perhaps the Belmont tower (and I'm still a bit bitter about the old college buildings that were demolished to build the Tower building).

The DoJ Crawford building is a bit mediocre. The original plans for it, with the main door centred and a bit less boringness was better. Still, it's not awful either.

Right, droning on over.

Indievertigo

Philistine :p:
Reply 7
L i b
Nah, I'm fairly sure architecture is in the Matthew Building rather than the Crawford Building which is the main DoJ one. The one on the left in this picture:

I actually like that building though - maybe not suitable for the location and such, but so brutalist that it almost hurts. Architects should appreciate that. Plus, a lot of the 60s buildings at Dundee aren't just put-it-up-quickly *****, but are properly done. They're a bit subtle with it - walking around 50s concrete areas that remind you of cathedral cloisters and Greek temples. I really think the Dundee campus works well - except for perhaps the Belmont tower (and I'm still a bit bitter about the old college buildings that were demolished to build the Tower building).

The DoJ Crawford building is a bit mediocre. The original plans for it, with the main door centred and a bit less boringness was better. Still, it's not awful either.

Right, droning on over.

The Matthew building isn't too bad but the Crawford building just looks dated. I guess the Matthew Building is in keeping with MSI and a few other buildings on campus too but the Crawford one just looks out of place compared to everything else. I'm not too keen on Belmont Tower either because I think it kinda looks out of place but I guess that could apply to the school of dentistry too. Not really a fan of the main Tower building either actually. I was talking to Andrea Ross last week and she was saying that it was listed. I appreciate the reasoning behind a lot of the buildings in Dundee being listed (because of what happened with the old Overgate etc) but I can't quite get my head around the fact that the Tower is. It's just ugly! (Although the view from the top is pretty damn good).
Reply 8
XXZ
OP
lolimemma

As far as I know the course is fairly well respected. I have a friend doing architecture who's just back from his placement year. Want me to bug him for info? :smile:

In fact, i don't know which building i will be in, i am an international student from China, i don't know there are such big different between different building........

It is so kind of you if you can tell me more information, thank you so much~:smile:
Reply 9
lolimemma
The Matthew building isn't too bad but the Crawford building just looks dated. I guess the Matthew Building is in keeping with MSI and a few other buildings on campus too but the Crawford one just looks out of place compared to everything else. I'm not too keen on Belmont Tower either because I think it kinda looks out of place but I guess that could apply to the school of dentistry too. Not really a fan of the main Tower building either actually. I was talking to Andrea Ross last week and she was saying that it was listed. I appreciate the reasoning behind a lot of the buildings in Dundee being listed (because of what happened with the old Overgate etc) but I can't quite get my head around the fact that the Tower is. It's just ugly! (Although the view from the top is pretty damn good).

Just found some files on my computer about all this stuff. Anyway, here's how Crawford was supposed to look, which seems a bit better than how it is at the moment:

Yeah, as far as they go, the Tower building is actually pretty architecturally important if you'd believe it. Crafted by a pretty famous architect and one of the early examples of its kind in Scotland - I was surprised to come across it in a good few books. Still, the old college buildings were nice and gave the uni more of a focal point. The first plans were to keep them and put a new building on the lawn in front of it. Guess it was the 50s though; they thought they were being all progressive...

Strange to think that they once had people donating money to demolish this (and you can't even see the main bit in this photo):

The dental hospital was supposed to be part of a new quadrangle type thing that led up between the Carnelly and the Old Medical School that never really worked - which is why the Ewing building seems to face the wrong way and why the little garden there is weirdly positioned. Dunno why they didn't ever do it like that. The planning just seemed to go out of the window.
Reply 10
XXZ
In fact, i don't know which building i will be in, i am an international student from China, i don't know there are such big different between different building........

Yeah, sorry, we've got a bit off-topic really. Still, bit of a hobby for me, all this architecture stuff.

The architecture school isn't one of the things the university is best known for or anything, but is seems to compare well with the other architecture schools in Scotland. So far as I know, it's a perfectly decent course. It's strongly linked to the Duncan of Jordanstone Art School - which is part of the university since the early 1990s, but evolved separately.

That's all I know, I'm afraid. There have been one or two Dundee architecture students on this forum in the past, perhaps one will stumble into this thread.
Reply 11
XXZ
OP
L i b
Yeah, sorry, we've got a bit off-topic really. Still, bit of a hobby for me, all this architecture stuff.

The architecture school isn't one of the things the university is best known for or anything, but is seems to compare well with the other architecture schools in Scotland. So far as I know, it's a perfectly decent course. It's strongly linked to the Duncan of Jordanstone Art School - which is part of the university since the early 1990s, but evolved separately.

That's all I know, I'm afraid. There have been one or two Dundee architecture students on this forum in the past, perhaps one will stumble into this thread.

Thank you so much, i also applied other architecture schools, i just wanna know more about Dundee, because there are not much information about the school through the Internet.:smile:

by the way, the pictures you attached were really pretty~:yep:
Reply 12
somebody pls help me..
I dun noe should I choose my Architecture course in Liverpool or dundee..
Dundee is nice...but liverpool's architecture course rank high in the league table..
Reply 13
My flatmate does Architecture and he's always going on about how good the course is and how he gets so much to learn. I am actually quite jealous of the fact that they got to go to Holland as part of their course.
Reply 14
Original post by ish90an
My flatmate does Architecture and he's always going on about how good the course is and how he gets so much to learn. I am actually quite jealous of the fact that they got to go to Holland as part of their course.

you mentioned your friend who has studied architecture at Dundee university. Could you give his/her contacts? I'm thinking of accepting offer from Dundee but I'm still not quite sure about it. Thank you in advance:smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest