The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What happens if you fail exams?

What happens if you fail the exams+resits. Are you allowed to restart first year in October?

Scroll to see replies

I need to know this as well :frown:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I assume you get kicked out.

Durham is a bad ass gangsta.
Reply 3
It depends. If you fail non-core modules then you might be moved to an ordinary degree (that you can get back onto honours from). There are other things.
This is a much better explanation:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/studentsurvivalguide/App_i.pdf
Tufts
I assume you get kicked out.

as above. Then you have to appeal which is a bitch or get a concession.
ordinary degree is awarded if you fail and have to do resits. oh and in resit you can only get 40%
Reply 5
It's a kicking out for failing resits, at least it is if it's more than one module I think. They might let you off if the module isn't one needed for next year.
Reply 6
What happens if you fail a module in last year? Does that mean you get awarded a non-honours degree?
Reply 7
maxzara
What happens if you fail a module in last year? Does that mean you get awarded a non-honours degree?

Yes. It's all explained here

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/studentsurvivalguide/App_i.pdf

You need to pass all 360 credits (or 340 if you've failed one first year module) to get an honours degree. So unless you're able to pass that final year module by compensation (and, if you do, then you technically haven't failed it) you won't get an honours degree.
Reply 8
Can someone clarify for me, because I am a little confused from the flow chart (yes, confused by a flow chart).

If I was to fail to a module at level two, does that mean I can't pass with honours in third year (because I'll be on the ordinary degree)?

Because, assuming I do fail a module, I'll only have passed 340 credits?
Reply 9
Stacy_T
Can someone clarify for me, because I am a little confused from the flow chart (yes, confused by a flow chart).

If I was to fail to a module at level two, does that mean I can't pass with honours in third year (because I'll be on the ordinary degree)?

Because, assuming I do fail a module, I'll only have passed 340 credits?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's true. But that's fail at resit too, which is quite challenging.
Reply 10
If there is any difficulty in the world I can overcome, I'm fairly sure it's a double exam failure.

Arrrrgh.

I've got a good fifteen hours though.
Reply 11
If you fail an exam, then presumably, you are a fail.
Thanks Robbie
I am the fail.
Reply 13
Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnk.
Hello resits!
Hello having no honours!
From that flowchart, if you fail "up to 120 credits" in first year, resit and then pass them all, you progress to the Level 2 "Honours stream". The same applies if what you failed was a pre-requisite for Level 2 non-honours stream. What most of that means, I have no idea, but I think it means that failing in first year lets you resit like A-levels without any repercussions (assuming you don't mess it up second time).

At Level 2, the chart shows again that, if you pass all credits at the resit, you then progress in to the Level 3 "Honours stream". So there are second chances, by the looks of it.

At Level 3 there isn't, obviously.
MyNameIsDave
From that flowchart, if you fail "up to 120 credits" in first year, resit and then pass them all, you progress to the Level 2 "Honours stream". The same applies if what you failed was a pre-requisite for Level 2 non-honours stream. What most of that means, I have no idea, but I think it means that failing in first year lets you resit like A-levels without any repercussions (assuming you don't mess it up second time).

At Level 2, the chart shows again that, if you pass all credits at the resit, you then progress in to the Level 3 "Honours stream". So there are second chances, by the looks of it.

At Level 3 there isn't, obviously.

First year, granted. But not forgetting that all resits are capped at 40%, so if you mess up in your second year, it's going to seriously affect your final degree classification.
Reply 16
Hi Please can someone assist me?

I have managed to pass my dissertation and pass every module but failed one module at 15 credits. I have obtained 345 credits which include for 30 credits for the dissertation can i still achieve the hons degree or recieve an ordinary degree?

Kind regards,
Reply 17
Original post by haggarde
Hi Please can someone assist me?

I have managed to pass my dissertation and pass every module but failed one module at 15 credits. I have obtained 345 credits which include for 30 credits for the dissertation can i still achieve the hons degree or recieve an ordinary degree?

Kind regards,

Unfortunately according to the floor chart above you will need to leave with an ordinary (non-honours) degree. You can only achieve an honours degree if you pass all 360 credits, or have failed a single level one module (a pass by compensation is allowed in no more than 40 credits).

Speak to your department and college if you're concerned and would like clarification.

I believe that you may be able to still gain an honours degree, but from the OU (transfer your Durham credit to the OU and finish the degree there).
Reply 18
on my course if you fail resits you go before a panel and explain why you feel you should be given one more chance, say you failed because you were going through a stressful life event (such as a death in the family) then you usually are ok. They also go through you attendance and other marks and grades and they deside if you get another try.
Reply 19
Original post by Sabsbabs1
on my course if you fail resits you go before a panel and explain why you feel you should be given one more chance, say you failed because you were going through a stressful life event (such as a death in the family) then you usually are ok. They also go through you attendance and other marks and grades and they deside if you get another try.

Is this at Durham? Because this thread is in the Current Durham Students subforum. That isn't what Durham do as far as I'm aware.

Quick Reply