The Student Room Group

Stabbing pain in lower right abdomen (possibly ovary)

For the past few weeks, I've been occasionally getting a sharp stabbing pain very low in my abdomen. It is so severe sometimes that I am doubled in pain, but it goes after a few seconds. Sometimes I feel a stabbing pain along the bottom of my abdomen when I cough but this is not always the case. Sometimes the pains just appear out of nowhere.

Anyone experienced anything similar or have an idea of the problem?

Scroll to see replies

Hmm I have had this weird aching pain in my lower adomden, over my right ovary - but after a while it goes. Its never happened on the left hand side, its always the right. It hasn't happened in a while though.

It might pass after a while - if not, seek GP help.
Reply 2
Sometimes women get a quick sharp stabbing pain when they ovulate, that is all I can say.
Could be ovulation pain..BUT if there is ANY chance of you being pregnant get yourself checked out. I don't want to worry you but it can be a sign of early pregnancy and/or ectopic.
sometimes constipation can be described as sharp, and come on through movement- ie coughing, chance you're constipated?
Reply 5
need_money
For the past few weeks, I've been occasionally getting a sharp stabbing pain very low in my abdomen. It is so severe sometimes that I am doubled in pain, but it goes after a few seconds. Sometimes I feel a stabbing pain along the bottom of my abdomen when I cough but this is not always the case. Sometimes the pains just appear out of nowhere.

A female friend of mine had the same problem, turned out she had a cyst on her ovary and had to have a operation to remove it.
Reply 6
Appendix.
Reply 7
omg! appendicitis! my friend had it that is what is called referred pain in the lower iliac region! get it checked out straightaway dear!
I'm having the excact same pain right now, it's worrying me so much. I looked online and it said it could be inflamed fallopian tube / ovary but i thought that was wierd cuz they're supposed to be really small right? so they can't really get inflamed? :s

Kevin J
A female friend of mine had the same problem, turned out she had a cyst on her ovary and had to have a operation to remove it.

How old was she when she had this? :redface:
Reply 9
Appendicitis, It might be, I had pains, never got it checked out, then I just lost all movement in my leg, rushed to hospital, had it removed, happy days, get it checked.
Your ovaries may be down there, but the nerves from them lead much higher up, to their embryological origin - according to my anatomy book, around T11-L1 (bottom of your ribs, basically), so the pain would be higher up if it was ovarian....

[I think....]
Well, the pain in the lower right of the abdomen (with my basic knowledge of ailments that I've inherited) sends appendicitis or hernia alarm bells ringing. Of course, you've had it for a while now, so you'd have noticed if it was a hernia, and the hernia could quite possibly have killed you.

Go get it checked out by the GP. That's what they're knocking around for.
The fact that these threads exist is a constant source of bemusement
appendicitis?
Reply 14
I had this when I had appendicitis, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't my ovaries complaining. I'd go see your GP if I were you. If the stabbing pain doesn't stop, and you keep on vomiting, send yourself to A&E.
If it was appendicitis, you'd know about it. Honestly.

My sister had suspected appendicitis and in the end after removing her appendix, they found cysts on her ovaries and removed those during the same surgery.

Sounds like cysts. I get the same excrutiating stabbing pains on my left ovary. She dun'arff give a good kick. I should go see my GP about it, but I'd rather not have an appendix scar lol.
Reply 16
Call you GP first thing in the morning and get an appointment. If they say there aren't any, get an emergency one! You need an abdo examination or something, you can't just leave this!
need_money

I got exactly this all last year:smile: , and was really frightened. I went to the doctor, and turned out I was just feeling ovulation for once, for some reason. I say definitely go and get checked out, as it can sometimes be a cyst etc.
I'm gonna vote for ovarian cysts. Most women get little ones that cause a little chaos every so often.
Reply 19
sprite_fright
I'm having the excact same pain right now, it's worrying me so much. I looked online and it said it could be inflamed fallopian tube / ovary but i thought that was wierd cuz they're supposed to be really small right? so they can't really get inflamed? :s

How old was she when she had this? :redface:

17/18.

Google it.

Latest