The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit Three: Beliefs in Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I need to get 80/80 tomorrow, really hope conservative force/social change comes up, I wouldn't mind postmodernist views either!
I'm not really sure about what will come up, I don't really mind what comes up either...

Also can anyone clarify Davie: believing without belonging and Lyon for me? My book makes it quite wordy and difficult to understand, I kind of get the gist of it but.. not entirely :tongue:
Reply 162
Original post by teaandcoffee
I'm not really sure about what will come up, I don't really mind what comes up either...

Also can anyone clarify Davie: believing without belonging and Lyon for me? My book makes it quite wordy and difficult to understand, I kind of get the gist of it but.. not entirely :tongue:

I will write it quickly, the main points as I still have loads to revise :smile:

Davie - Believes attendance has decreased due to post mod society believing children should have choice about what religion they want to...decrease in baptisms and sunday schools etc. But she still believes belif remains high. Church isnt centre of peoples social lives any more, so not the main social activity. Believes structure of family has chaned, families dont do as much together anymore etc. Also intro of Sunday trading 1994 means lots of people work on sundays. So instead of actually attending church, people practice a more privatised religion. Hence believing in religion without actually belonging in the church. supports a more diverse, post mod society.
Lyon - Post modernity means people have become 'consumers of religion'. we incorporate different bits of many religions that are available in the market place. We pick and choose which bits of religion are right for us personally. E.g. Sheilaism (Bellah).

Hope this helps, you should also look at Hervieu Leger if you havent already! Good luck x
Reply 163
p.s. sorry about spelling mistakes im writing quickly haha!
Original post by acroker1
I will write it quickly, the main points as I still have loads to revise :smile:

Davie - Believes attendance has decreased due to post mod society believing children should have choice about what religion they want to...decrease in baptisms and sunday schools etc. But she still believes belif remains high. Church isnt centre of peoples social lives any more, so not the main social activity. Believes structure of family has chaned, families dont do as much together anymore etc. Also intro of Sunday trading 1994 means lots of people work on sundays. So instead of actually attending church, people practice a more privatised religion. Hence believing in religion without actually belonging in the church. supports a more diverse, post mod society.
Lyon - Post modernity means people have become 'consumers of religion'. we incorporate different bits of many religions that are available in the market place. We pick and choose which bits of religion are right for us personally. E.g. Sheilaism (Bellah).

Hope this helps, you should also look at Hervieu Leger if you havent already! Good luck x

Oh god my textbook doesn't actually talk about them two studies like that at all. Goodness.
Also, for 'religion in a global context' do you have stuff on hinduism and consumerism/hindu ultra-nationalism and globalisation in India? Likewise my text book just seems a little bitty with this area, I'm hoping I can just do things on pentecostalism/fundementalism...
Reply 165
Original post by teaandcoffee
Oh god my textbook doesn't actually talk about them two studies like that at all. Goodness.
Also, for 'religion in a global context' do you have stuff on hinduism and consumerism/hindu ultra-nationalism and globalisation in India? Likewise my text book just seems a little bitty with this area, I'm hoping I can just do things on pentecostalism/fundementalism...

Really? They should do, but dont take my explanations word for word, you should trust you text book more than me! And yeah if a globalisation question comes up i would talk about Meera Nanda and how globalisation has caused an emergence of an Indian middle class. Also refer to Nanda and ultra nationalism....93% agreed “our country is superior to all others” when asked. she says Hinduism is becommin a civil religion and Hinduisms values are the reason why the economy in india is booming and why they have so much success in the global market. Berger and pentecostalism is a similar example so thats good too! And fundamentalism being a reaction to a globalised, PM soc is good too! you should be fine with the few things you mentioned if it comes up as an 18 marker, but id try to include Meera Nanda if its a 33 marker if you can!
I tallied up the different topics that have come up for the big questions and the most likely for tomorrow is social change and secularisation
Reply 167
anyone know any tips to hit those AO2 marks? ..and whats some critisisms for calvanism :\ ..and more gernal ones about the marxist theory (eg. marx views are outdated)
Original post by shareena1
anyone know any tips to hit those AO2 marks? ..and whats some critisisms for calvanism :\ ..and more gernal ones about the marxist theory (eg. marx views are outdated)

Weber (Calvinist theory)
- Capitalism occurred before Calvinism
- Where Calvinists where strong in scotland and switzerland, capitalism took longer to grow
- Quaker families dominated chocolate industry but didn't fit his sterotype

Marx
- He predicted a revolution that never occurred
- Secularisation means we're not being controlled by religion
- Many neo-marxists argue he was wrong and religion can cause social change
- religion still apparent in communism
Reply 169
Original post by Noodlzzz

Original post by Noodlzzz
Weber (Calvinist theory)
- Capitalism occurred before Calvinism
- Where Calvinists where strong in scotland and switzerland, capitalism took longer to grow
- Quaker families dominated chocolate industry but didn't fit his sterotype

Marx
- He predicted a revolution that never occurred
- Secularisation means we're not being controlled by religion
- Many neo-marxists argue he was wrong and religion can cause social change
- religion still apparent in communism

Ahh wicked! thanks.. and i hope ur prediction of whats gonna come up is right (those r my strongst topics)..thanks 4 those, also what ellse can i do too bump up ao2 marks?..wen i do essays im hitting full ao1 but struggling to get good a02's ..any advice?
Reply 170

Well criticisms of calvinism is

karl Kautsky (1927) argues that Weber overestimates the role of ideas and underestimates economic factors in bringing about capitalism. In fact capitalism preceded rather than followed calvinism

R.H.Tawney- argues that technological change, not religious ideas, caused the birth of capitalism. Only after capitalism, did the bourgeoisie adopted calvinist beliefs.

Calvinism had a large following in scotland but they were slow in developing capitalism.
Reply 171
Alsoo im stuck on making other links to globalisation and religion. i only confidently know meera nandas thing ...what r the other links to religion n globalisation?
Ahh wicked! thanks.. and i hope ur prediction of whats gonna come up is right (those r my strongst topics)..thanks 4 those, also what ellse can i do too bump up ao2 marks?..wen i do essays im hitting full ao1 but struggling to get good a02's ..any advice?

The easiest way is to bring in theories such as: Marx would support this view with his ideas of capitalism...

Or if your describing a theory, counterbalance it with the opposition e.g. while Marx argued for X, neo-marxists disagreed and further conflict arose from functionalists argument
I am sooo Scared for tomorrow I feel physically sick just thinking about it.
I hate how they word the questions its so confusing especially the first 2 questions.
I would hate it if Science came up for the 18 mark question.
Good Luck everyone :smile:
Original post by khanaggge
Hey im doing global development aswel :/ ... what do u think will come up? any predictions?

Hmm perhaps aid/ gender for the 33 marker
War for the 18...or maybe something about sustainable development cos that's the 'in thing' right now?
Honestly, I have a feeling they're going to ask some ambigious questions :s-smilie:
Alsoo im stuck on making other links to globalisation and religion. i only confidently know meera nandas thing ...what r the other links to religion n globalisation?

you say for fundementalism, Giddens sees fundementalism and cosmopolitanism. and link that into Bruce who sees the main cause of fundementalism is because traditional religions are under threat by globalisation....
(This can then bring you to cultural defence)
make an example about the pro-Western regime for Iran they became the focus for resistance to change and to the Shah but they turned to religion and held state power to keep the Shah with the Islamic Shari's Law. You could also put in the example of the Koran which happened about 6 months ago...
(this can be linked to Clash of civilisation)
you can talk about 9/11 in America and 7/7 in London. Also how thay are building a Mosque next to the World trade Centre ....
is that useful???
Reply 176
Also counter evaluating will get you good AO2 marks e.g. Melton criticised Wilsons theory of rise in NRMs being due to rapid social change as the biggest increase in NRMs was in the 50s and 70s. This can be counter evaluated as Wilson then said it takes a while for the new NRMs to grow and become recognised. So the rise in NRMs in the 50s was due to the rapid social change of the war etc. Sorry if that sounds confusing it was the first example i thought of haha!
wow, we havent done anything on globalisation, apart from linking it with secularisation and saying religion is still around in other countries. But all these words like meera nanda and ultranationalism i have no idea. perhaps my teacher didn't think a question would come up solely on globalisation... she reckons social change will come up but who knows
also my teacher goes ON AND ON about contemporary issues- are they that important? surely if EVERYBODY puts the popes visit and diannas death as examples for civil religion then thats a bit silly?
Original post by sarahlovesleon
also my teacher goes ON AND ON about contemporary issues- are they that important? surely if EVERYBODY puts the popes visit and diannas death as examples for civil religion then thats a bit silly?

I saw Keith Throbe one of the examiners and he said you must put contempory issues in. it's gonna give you more marks and shows that you understand the topic.

Quick Reply