The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My friend at his interview,

Interviewer: Have you read anything recently that interested you?
Friend: Um.... well I read a very interesting article on the advantages of circumcision.

Not really stupid, but it did put him in an awkward position.
Reply 61
Original post by areyouthere?

Friend: Um.... well I read a very interesting article on the advantages of circumcision.

that IS pretty interesting
Reply 62
Original post by .eXe

I can imagine in what way you'd find it awkward lol :'). Nevertheless it probably is an interesting topic.
Original post by areyouthere?

Original post by .eXe

Original post by Doctor.
I can imagine in what way you'd find it awkward lol :'). Nevertheless it probably is an interesting topic.

Doesn't circumsion reduce the transmission of HIV?

Did he do a little shuffle to make sure his manhood was still there? :teehee:
Original post by Harbour Seal
Doesn't circumsion reduce the transmission of HIV?

Did he do a little shuffle to make sure his manhood was still there? :teehee:

:yep:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16231970

"Male circumcision provides a degree of protection against acquiring HIV infection, equivalent to what a vaccine of high efficacy would have achieved. Male circumcision may provide an important way of reducing the spread of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa."

Though I'm not really sure how that experiment would have worked since it's illegal to knowingly infect a person with HIV :beard:

But yes, they've linked circumcision to a lower rate of transmission of HIV :smile:

(oh and the manhood would still be there, you might want to check what a circumcision involves :mmm:)
Reply 65
not stupid but funny ... discussing Andy Gray and Arsenal during my Glasgow interview for like 10 minutes haha. basically was just a diss session about how sexist he was
I had an interview at Boots today and the interviewer asked me ''Give me a situation where you felt under pressure.'' I answered ''Ehh now?!''
Original post by such_a_lady
This is terrifying me :lol: I'm one of those people who jabbers away in tense situations, and I'm so nervous that if I get an interview for German, I'll refer to my A2 set text as "Ich fühl mich so scheiße scheiße" (the book is called "Ich fühl mich so fifty fifty", meaning "I feel so 50-50"...I make a pun and call it "I feel so sh*tty sh*tty because it's a terrible book imo) because that's how I refer to it to my friends, or say something is "geil" or "hammer" (two really slangy words, the first one also can mean "horny" :sigh:) ... quite scared now.

Erm... this thread is specifically "stupid things done in medical interviews...:tongue:
Original post by infernalcradle
hmm...well

I did end up saying "I don't know" to about half the questions in my interview....

and I may have slightly insulted physiotherapists by saying they only work on patients to help rehabilitation and generally for long term injury recovery which is boring and I don't wanna do that.....hence why I don't wanna be a physio...

still got an offer though and I'm there now :biggrin:

I thought Southampton didn't do interviews - are you a GEP applicant?

Original post by OddThings
I also jabber away in stressful situations,my german oral exam last year was a little shaky at the start because I was so nervous,I spoke far too quickly. I really want to read that book,my class are doing Die Velorene Ehre der Katharina Blum instead. Bah.

For Unit 4 my class are doing 'Der Vorleser' - pretty boring :frown:
But we also watched 'Die Welle', so we can choose which one to write about in the exam :yep:
Original post by thegodofgod
I thought Southampton didn't do interviews - are you a GEP applicant?

:yep:

I'm on the BM6....although they do now interview for all 3 courses
I'm on the BM6....although they do now interview for all 3 courses

I swear it says on their website that they only interview for the BM4 applicants and mature (over 21) applicants for BM5 (not sure about the BM6 course :s-smilie:)

EDIT - so are you on Year 0 or 1 atm?

At the bottom: http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/apply/
(edited 12 years ago)
But we also watched 'Die Welle', so we can choose which one to write about in the exam :yep:

I've heard it's a pretty boring book,but the film was pretty good.I love Die Welle,we aren't studying that film in class,I watched during the holidays a while ago,such an intense film!
Original post by thegodofgod
I swear it says on their website that they only interview for the BM4 applicants and mature (over 21) applicants for BM5 (not sure about the BM6 course :s-smilie:)

EDIT - so are you on Year 0 or 1 atm?

At the bottom: http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/apply/

I'm currently year 0...

will be year 1 next year :biggrin:
I'm currently year 0...

will be year 1 next year :biggrin:

Hopefully I'll be there too next year :hi:
Reply 74

I've heard it's a pretty boring book,but the film was pretty good.I love Die Welle,we aren't studying that film in class,I watched during the holidays a while ago,such an intense film!

I watched the film in Germany back when I was in yr 10 :rolleyes: and it is quite different from the book, I must say. But I really liked the drama at the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Giggy88
I watched the film in Germany back when I was in yr 10 :rolleyes: and it is quite different from the book, I must say. But I really liked the drama at the end.

Yeah, but our teacher made us go into so much detail, such as how the lighting in the movie reflected the mood, and the fact that only Reiner's face was shown when he was being taken in the back of the police car at the end of the movie showed something else (can't remember now). :redface:
Reply 76
I did so many things wrong in every interview. :sigh:

At UEA even before the interview had begun I was doing stupid things. They have this revolving glass door to get into the building and I bumped into that, and they have these stupid glass walls around the room where I had to go and sit down and wait for my interview. I walked into that. During the interview on one of the stations I had the sticker on my right hand so couldn't shake hands which was awkward. On another station I was trying to explain how I couldn't empathise with someone because ' I don't have dementia ' to which the interviewer replied 'Well I hope not!'

Fail.

Could go on to talk about how I made stupid mistakes at other interviews.. :getmecoat:
Original post by Oggz
Could go on to talk about how I made stupid mistakes at other interviews.. :getmecoat:

Please continue :cookie:
Reply 78
No. It's like emotional self harm.
Reply 79
Original post by magichearts
Not really IN an interview but before my Sheffield interview - we were waiting in a side room to be called to be interviewed. Everyone in the room was reading the newspaper/PS/interview guide book/etc. I fell asleep in my chair and when the interviewer came and fetch me she saw me dead asleep. Oops.

Ahh I remember the pre-interview room. Good memories every time I pass by the interview rooms on my way to MLT1. :smile:

Latest