The Student Room Group

How long do your trainers last for?

I am thinking of buying a pair of trainers next week.

I been wearing the same pair 3-4 times a week for around a year. Is it worth buying new trainers after just a year? The trainers I am wearing are in decent condition, I don't want to be wasting £60. Is it worth holding out for a bit longer, say around 2 years before I buy a new pair?

How often do people buy new trainers?

I also am not sure what size trainers I should get. I was wondering if there is anywhere I can get my foot measured? The last time I brought my current pair of trainers. I asked Clark and JD sports if they can check what size trainers I should get, and they said they don't have anything to measure my foot with.

I am going to try Barratts, Clarks, Nike town, JD sports, Adidas store, John Lewis and ask them if they have anything I can measure my foot with. If they all say no, I am not sure what size trainers to get.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just try the shoes on? I'm not a standard, across the board, size. I fluctuate between being a 10 and being an 11.

As for buying another pair of trainers, you'll get more wear out of both pairs if you're cycling what you wear. Wearing a pair of trainers 3-4 times a week for another year will knacker them out a lot quicker than wearing two pairs twice a week each.
Reply 2
The only trainers I'd ever consider wearing are Adidas Originals. So, Gazelles, Londons, Dublins, Kolns, Beckenbauers, and such. I have one pair of trainers that I've had for around 3 1/2 years, and whilst worn, are still completely acceptable quality and if clean are perfectly presentable.

I buy new trainers fairly regularly, as in a new pair every couple of months, but I collect them, so your mileage may vary.

As for size... try them on.
Reply 3
I still have pairs of trainers from around 2 and a half years ago that I still wear regularly. That being said, I have around 10 pairs of trainers and I normally wear a different pair each day so they don't get worn out quickly :smile:
Wear till they wear....get it no...ah well :smile: That's tsr for you :tongue:
Reply 5
I usually wear them until they're broken. Considering I wear them for everything other than formal things they usually last between 1 and 2 years, sometimes longer.
My longest ever pair of trainers was a pair of Adidas ones that lasted from when I was 13 until I was 23 haha.

Nowadays I buy cheap ones from Tesco and they last maybe 6 months at the most. I really need to get some new ones - mine have now got quite a lot of holes in. It's pretty bad really.
Reply 7
You can buy new ones and keep the old pair? :-P

Try them on, and make sure there is just like a thumb space or a little more between your big toe and the end of the shoe I'd say.

Get green suede nike blazers, thats what I wear :wink:
Reply 8
I wear trainers until there's no life left in them! Generally, wearing them daily for about 2 years.
Reply 9
I generally buy Nike or Adidas for trainers, tennis shoes usually keep them between 2-3 years, those for running last around a year or so before I stop wearing them.

Outdoor wear, those trainers are usually made by Timberland, I keep them for 2 years or until they start being leaky.

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My longest ever pair of trainers was a pair of Adidas ones that lasted from when I was 13 until I was 23 haha.

Nowadays I buy cheap ones from Tesco and they last maybe 6 months at the most. I really need to get some new ones - mine have now got quite a lot of holes in. It's pretty bad really.

Your feet remained the same size for 10 years??? :eek::eek::eek:
Reply 10
my sambas last me upto a year a pair, they cost no more than 45 quid.

AAAAC6wfArMAAAAAAHnO5Q.jpg
Reply 11
I probably buy a new pair of trainers every 4 months or so, just cos I like trainers.
Original post by Herr

Your feet remained the same size for 10 years??? :eek::eek::eek:

yeh - I stopped growing at 13 for some odd reason. I was 5'4" and size 8 shoes when I was 13, and even now at 28 I am still 5'4" and size 8 shoes.
Reply 13
I tend to buy a new pair of vans once a month in a different colour,

i like vans :smile:
Original post by cgvince
I tend to buy a new pair of vans once a month in a different colour,

i like vans :smile:

Jeez, you must be made of money.

And I find that the canvassy type aren't much good really for anything and don't last long.

When I had Converse they didn't.
Reply 15
Original post by Elissabeth
Jeez, you must be made of money.

And I find that the canvassy type aren't much good really for anything and don't last long.

When I had Converse they didn't.

I had a pair of converse which I wore as work shoes and they lasted 2 years. This was when I was working around 40/50 hours a week
Original post by GuyUK

I also am not sure what size trainers I should get. I was wondering if there is anywhere I can get my foot measured? The last time I brought my current pair of trainers. I asked Clark and JD sports if they can check what size trainers I should get, and they said they don't have anything to measure my foot with.

I am going to try Barratts, Clarks, Nike town, JD sports, Adidas store, John Lewis and ask them if they have anything I can measure my foot with. If they all say no, I am not sure what size trainers to get.

Just try on pairs in different sizes... Definitely don't buy shoes without trying them on/walking in them to make sure they're comfortable! I've never had a problem trying them in the shop, the assistants are generally happy to get piles of shoe boxes til you find some you like that fit your foot!

Try on different pairs in different sizes til you find some you like... The size on the box doesn't tell you much about the shape of the shoe, or the shape of your foot! Football boots and wellies probably need a size or two larger coz of the shape... Also, your feet can be different sizes...
Original post by Elissabeth
Jeez, your parents must be made of money.

FTFY
Original post by Abcrew
I had a pair of converse which I wore as work shoes and they lasted 2 years. This was when I was working around 40/50 hours a week

Perhaps they can last longer, but are very difficult to clean and can't go in the washing machine.
If you got the moneyy then gett them :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending