The Student Room Group

Advice to students with a 2:2 degree, on getting a job

Hi guys,

It's very likey when I finish my Computer Science degree, i'm going to end up with a 2:2. There's going to be other students like this, doing computing/IT related degrees, who will end up with a 2:2.

I was wondering if anybody here can tell us what type of jobs we can apply for that accept applicants with a 2:2 degree. Or jobs that are just satisfied with computer/IT related degree 2:2 and above.

Also people who came out of university with a 2:2, please tell us your experience with finding a job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Bump.
Original post by My Dog Ate Homework!
Hi guys,

It's very likey when I finish my Computer Science degree, i'm going to end up with a 2:2. There's going to be other students like this, doing computing/IT related degrees, who will end up with a 2:2.

I was wondering if anybody here can tell us what type of jobs we can apply for that accept applicants with a 2:2 degree. Or jobs that are just satisfied with computer/IT related degree 2:2 and above.

Also people who came out of university with a 2:2, please tell us your experience with finding a job.

I feel for you. I got a 2:2 in Geography and never used it. Thanks to the lovely labour government encouraging so many of us to go to Uni we now have a glut of students with degrees. I have a friend whose daughter got a 2:2 in Law and thought she would become a solicitor. She has realised the hard way that " even people with firsts from Cambridge are not getting jobs"

However lets not be too negative. I am assuming you are young. Have you been to the "milkround". There are uni job fairs and national job fairs. Have you looked on the internet for graduate trainee positions. You are close to London - you many need to move there. Decide which area of IT you want to work in and get a job - no matter how menial in the right company and when appropriate jobs come up you are there. Take on voluntary work - for example teaching IT to further education students or become a teaching assistant. Have you had your CV looked at - is it professional. What else can you offer - languages; programming etc. A job will not land in your lap. Get a suit; get a haircut. Remember - you have to be the one to stand out. Your 2:2 is still a degree but it will not be the best degree HR will see. You have to therefore sell YOURSELF and make people realise how wonderful and confident you are. I wish you luck.
Reply 3
Original post by My Dog Ate Homework!
Hi guys,

Just tell your prospective employer you are predicted a 2:1. They will never ask for what you actually get.
Reply 4
I applied of a role in business and technology at Unilever although I expect a 2:1 I saw on their requirements they accepted 2:2s
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I feel for you. I got a 2:2 in Geography

Some may say 'mentally handicapped', I prefer the term 'handi-capable.'
Reply 6
Anything you have been able to demonstrate throughout your degree, such as involvement in extra-curricular activities, part-time work, and community affairs matters equally if not more than your final marks, depending on your circumstances. Any projects you might have worked on, such as software you have released to the public, is a major bonus.

Employers want to hire individuals who are likely to stick around, and I recommend taking the approach that you intend to stick around. In a competitive job market, showing both commitment and determination is comforting for employers when they decide to hire individuals.

If you are really excited about a particular company, research about them, attend their open days, if any, and contact their recruitment team and see what you can do to learn more about them. Your potential work ethic and ability in the professional workplace is not and should not be determined strictly by your marks, so maintain confidence and work with what you have.
Reply 7
It's who you know, not what you know.

I got a 2:2 (albeit not in IT/computing) and I got my job, including training contract, because my boyfriend worked with a guy whose sister worked with the lady who is now my boss.
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I feel for you. I got a 2:2 in Geography and never used it. Thanks to the lovely labour government encouraging so many of us to go to Uni we now have a glut of students with degrees. I have a friend whose daughter got a 2:2 in Law and thought she would become a solicitor. She has realised the hard way that " even people with firsts from Cambridge are not getting jobs"

However lets not be too negative. I am assuming you are young. Have you been to the "milkround". There are uni job fairs and national job fairs. Have you looked on the internet for graduate trainee positions. You are close to London - you many need to move there. Decide which area of IT you want to work in and get a job - no matter how menial in the right company and when appropriate jobs come up you are there. Take on voluntary work - for example teaching IT to further education students or become a teaching assistant. Have you had your CV looked at - is it professional. What else can you offer - languages; programming etc. A job will not land in your lap. Get a suit; get a haircut. Remember - you have to be the one to stand out. Your 2:2 is still a degree but it will not be the best degree HR will see. You have to therefore sell YOURSELF and make people realise how wonderful and confident you are. I wish you luck.

THIS! Good post.

A mate did get a 2:2 but got a job just after he graduated. He did Computing. So it's not all that gloom and doom.
It is possible to get a job in IT off the back of a tutu.

When I came out of uni I was promised that getting a job in IT would be easy, came out slap bang in the middle of the recession no real idea of what it is that I actually wanted to do.

Got a 2 week volunteering stint at a school which led to working for half a year on the free for my current company, they took me on and 2 years later I'm working within the 2nd line role supporting a lot of major projects.

My big thing to you would be to get yourself IT related certifications. If your going into support, do the ITIL foundation- employers really value that.

Finally, keep trying, I applied to well over 300 jobs and received about 20 replies of which I got maybe 10 or so interviews. At the time I wasn't the most motivated individual but if you want to reach your goals you'll do all it takes.

Best of luck but remember it can be done!
Reply 10
There's a NFU Mutual IT Professional Trainee Scheme for anyone with a 2:2 in any Subject.. if you're in the midlands, it's not bad at £23k start! I'm just about to post seeing who else has gone for it..

Not many open out there for 2:2, I'm struggling to not just be stripped right out by automated processes.. like IBM's... lovely! Ahem.
I know this is late, but thanks for the replies fellas.

I've actually got my final grade today and it's a 2:2. I've already had two interviews before I got my grade (and possibly two more in the future). Lets see how things go.

I noticed there's quite a few internship roles that last for 3 or 6 months, that take graduates with computing/IT degrees, without specifying a particular grade.

Maybe some graduates might want to take a look at these websites:

http://uol.itssystems.co.uk/UOL/index.asp
http://step.stepenterprise.co.uk/jobsearch.asp
http://www.milkround.com/
http://targetjobs.co.uk/it
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
National Grid. I believe they have IT grad jobs and reqs are only a 2:2.

Boom!
Reply 13
I got a 2:2 in Maths and got a job from my first interview, although I did have to send out about 10 applications to get it.

Trick is when you apply for a job you can't send out a generic CV with "I'm a good problem solver etc", it needs to be very tailored towards the company you're working for and you must sell yourself as much as you can. For example I once for about 20mins looked at an SQL tutorial online, however this turned out on my CV as "sound basic knowledge of SQL". Not a lie, but an exaggerated truth.

Number one rule is NEVER LIE ABOUT FORMAL QUALIFACATiONS, but some elements can be exaggerated.

Plus to echo what has been said above, ALWAYS wear a nice full tailored suit with tie, a shortish haircut (not long and greasy), nice shoes, no viewable tatoos or piercings. Appearance is 50%, ability is 50%
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by dom99
Not a lie, but an exaggerated truth.

Number one rule is NEVER LIE ABOUT FORMAL QUALIFACATiONS, but everything else can be exaggerated.

How is that not digging you in a hole of trouble in future?
Reply 15
Original post by kka25
How is that not digging you in a hole of trouble in future?

Obviously you don't lie, but exaggerating like saying "I have basic knowledge of blah blah" is fine if you can back it up with something. If I said I am highly skilled in writing C++, when I know next to nothing about it, obviously it wouldn't work
Reply 16
SQL and other skills that could be demonstrated in an interview is not something I would exaggerate.
Original post by dom99
Obviously you don't lie, but exaggerating like saying "I have basic knowledge of blah blah" is fine if you can back it up with something. If I said I am highly skilled in writing C++, when I know next to nothing about it, obviously it wouldn't work

Employers are very good at weeding out these applications. Even if you say that you have a 'sound basic knowledge' of something, that's not going to stop them from testing you on it and if you don't fit the standard they are looking for, then better luck next time son.

Quick Reply

Latest