The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
Not sure I'd call it mind-games but I doubt he thinks it's definitely over.
Tbh it's still heavily in favour of Man Utd. City would need to win their remaining 5 games and also have Utd draw in one of their other 4 games (along with maintaining a superior goal difference).

Tough ask but not impossible.
Looking at their fixtures if Moyes or O'Neill could get their sides to perform half as well as they did against us they'd easily get a result. But the reality is both want the United job once SAF has left so neither will put in a performance.
It's not even funny anymore it's just embarrassing lol
I don't know why some people were saying it was over at the weekend anyway? :s-smilie:
Reply 3065
I assume because City didn't look capable of winning enough to overturn United's lead and United didn't seem likely to lose any time soon.
Reply 3066
Original post by Keese
Interesting comments from Mancini after the game - 'it's over'. Mind games? Or genuinely believes this?

He's trying to do a Guardiola but it came off wrong
Original post by warwickorbristol
We get this all the time though.
-Caicedo was doing well averaging more than a goal every two games
-We then spend £70 million on Tevez, Adebayor and RSC
-Adebayor does ok and Tevez well, RSC flops
-We sign Balotelli and play him on the wing for half a season
-Adebayor doesn't do much wrong but is replaced by Dzeko
-Dzeko when he's getting some form together is replaced by Balotelli who now plays centrally
-Dzeko doesn't quite hit the ground running so we sign Aguero

Now we have Aguero, Adebayor, Balotelli, Dzeko and Tevez with RSC written off as a flop and Caicedo who would be perfect for us as a 4th striker leaving for peanuts. And we also have to accomodate Guidetti who's done well in the Dutch league. Unless we lose 3 of those strikers and get a decent fee we won't spend big on another striker.

Compare Dzeko's record at Wolfsburg and Cavani's and are they really that different?

How many more strikers will you guys buy? Damn that's terrible, why get rid of caicedo. Although jo was terrible, balotelli was bought because mancini knew him so fair enough, aguero was bought as a replacement for tevez, but tevez had no suitors. Dzeko was bought for no obvious reason. Maybe I guess mancini didn't trust balotelli enough/tevez leaving so he bought dzeko, only way I can get my head around buying him. Not that he's a bad player, but a big name who's just a bench warmer and barely gets games isn't worth 27 million despite his talent.

We've also forgot robinho. Star player for a season, was then dropped and made to play once every two games after buying all those players and he didn't have it.

Cavani is probably as good as dzeko, forget him like you said. How many more strikers are you possibly gonna buy, your strikers over the past 3 years have costed at least 100million.

I would say stick, unless balo and tevez go, there is no need to buy a striker, tevez and ade should be going, but you'll be fine with dzeko, balotelli, guidetti(if he keeps up the form) and aguero.

Before anyone says anything, barcelona have one striker(although he never gets injured) and another left winger who is a striker naturally while real madrid have two with a third makeshift striker in ronaldo, you guys will be fine with those 4 tbh. Guidetti does deserve a chance, so there's no need for a big name. Unless you want to do daniel sturridge mk2, we'd love to mug you guys off again :biggrin:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why do people not get that Mancini respects United. Always he talks with an annoying amount of respect, admiration etc. Maybe he just rightly believed they would beat Spurs, and equally rightly believes they will win the title. Simple.

Original post by jam277
X

You have a strange patronising tone considering you're a Chelsea fan. Jealous we're a lot better now no doubt.
Reply 3069
Original post by jam277
How many more strikers will you guys buy? Damn that's terrible, why get rid of caicedo. Although jo was terrible, balotelli was bought because mancini knew him so fair enough, aguero was bought as a replacement for tevez, but tevez had no suitors. Dzeko was bought for no obvious reason. Maybe I guess mancini didn't trust balotelli enough/tevez leaving so he bought dzeko, only way I can get my head around buying him. Not that he's a bad player, but a big name who's just a bench warmer and barely gets games isn't worth 27 million despite his talent.

We've also forgot robinho. Star player for a season, was then dropped and made to play once every two games after buying all those players and he didn't have it.

Cavani is probably as good as dzeko, forget him like you said. How many more strikers are you possibly gonna buy, your strikers over the past 3 years have costed at least 100million.

I would say stick, unless balo and tevez go, there is no need to buy a striker, tevez and ade should be going, but you'll be fine with dzeko, balotelli, guidetti(if he keeps up the form) and aguero.

Before anyone says anything, barcelona have one striker(although he never gets injured) and another left winger who is a striker naturally while real madrid have two with a third makeshift striker in ronaldo, you guys will be fine with those 4 tbh. Guidetti does deserve a chance, so there's no need for a big name. Unless you want to do daniel sturridge mk2, we'd love to mug you guys off again :biggrin:.

Can't be saying stuff like that when you're a Chelsea fan surely?

How much did you lot spend? Jheez.
Why do people not get that Mancini respects United. Always he talks with an annoying amount of respect, admiration etc. Maybe he just rightly believed they would beat Spurs, and equally rightly believes they will win the title. Simple.

You have a strange patronising tone considering you're a Chelsea fan. Jealous we're a lot better now no doubt.

Premier league titles, none. There's no need for me to be jealous. Plus we can win the title next year tbh, we've had a relatively poor season and that's really it. :smile:
I think the way you do your transfer business is a joke tbh. But then again, your team needed a giant revamp in comparison to ours. Anyway, I wasn't being patronising besides the daniel sturridge comment. You're not as bad as liverpool in doing transfers, then again no one is as bad as liverpool.

I was just telling the truth in what happened with some of the signings, adebayor was a good signing, but stupid because of the wages paid to him. Tevez was a great signing, Dzeko was a signing in case tevez or adebayor leaves fair enough. Aguero was a signing if tevez leaves, but none of them have left, so you're now left with 5 world class/high reputation strikers competing for 1 or 2 striker spots, you then have guidetti banging in goals, where is the space for him? You might end up selling him for cheap.

Remember when you wanted to sell ade and tevez for their full price, no offers came that were the full price, you only got loan offers and cut price deals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3071
Also as a side point I believe Kolarov is the best left back in the league and probably the world.

free picture hosting
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TM94
Can't be saying stuff like that when you're a Chelsea fan surely?

How much did you lot spend? Jheez.

In the region of 120 million on our WHOLE team and that got us a premier league title in 2 seasons. Not strikers alone so there's a difference. That doesn't include any profits we made on selling on players e.g. making 12 million profit on robben.

City however spent 400 million in 3 years and have no premier league title to show for it.

We didn't even have money and we were still winning the fa and league cup.

Actually, we spent 200 million, in 2 years. May be bad, but at least we got a league title and a league cup to show for it right after we won it.

All I'm saying is that with the amount they have spent, they shouldn't have a problem with winning the league.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3073
1st 3 years of the Abramovich era:

2003-2004: spent £111.25mn
2004-2005: spent £89.05mn
2005-2006: spent £108.4mn

Over 300 million spent, so where the hell £120 million came from :confused:
Original post by jam277
Premier league titles, none. There's no need for me to be jealous. Plus we can win the title next year tbh, we've had a relatively poor season and that's really it. :smile:
I think the way you do your transfer business is a joke tbh. But then again, your team needed a giant revamp in comparison to ours. Anyway, I wasn't being patronising besides the daniel sturridge comment. You're not as bad as liverpool in doing transfers, then again no one is as bad as liverpool.

I was just telling the truth in what happened with some of the signings, adebayor was a good signing, but stupid because of the wages paid to him. Tevez was a great signing, Dzeko was a signing in case tevez or adebayor leaves fair enough. Aguero was a signing if tevez leaves, but none of them have left, so you're now left with 5 world class/high reputation strikers competing for 1 or 2 striker spots, you then have guidetti banging in goals, where is the space for him? You might end up selling him for cheap.

Remember when you wanted to sell ade and tevez for their full price, no offers came that were the full price, you only got loan offers and cut price deals.

You won't win the title next year.

It's just one of those things. By and large, ignore strikers, we've signed players for a fair amount of money generally (Bar say Kolo Toure).

And Hughes panic bought Adebayor and Tevez, Ade because we needed an African star for our SA tour and Tevez because he was available. Imo neither was a signing with the long term in mind. If they had been better signings, they could have been more easily moved on and we'd be left with Aguero and Dzeko who were bargains in light of some recent transfers and then Balotelli who can play out wide too. The crux of the problem is we can't move Ade and Tevez on because Hughes couldn't see beyond his next game, never mind 3-4 years down the line.

The amount we've spend is because the market is inflated. As you say, there are comparably more expensive signings at other clubs. it's just we've had to buy so many in an inflated market.
Reply 3075

Also as a side point I believe Kolarov is the best left back in the league and probably the world (I dunno who else there is though). Defensively he's like a centre back playing full back (Imo the best defensive fullbacks) in that he offers good aerial skillz and he's strong in the tackle, but because his delivery is so good he doesn't need to stray too far from left back while still offering a fantastic delivery. And when we push on he can offer as much as any wing back in the world. The only problem comes when he tries to play like a by line to by line full back because he doesn't have the pace for that.

Are you high?
Original post by Laertes
Are you high?

Nah. I'm down to earth and can see past a rocky couple of months where he was having to deal with coming back from injury and adapting to a new defence and league.
Original post by Abcrew
1st 3 years of the Abramovich era:

2003-2004: spent £111.25mn
2004-2005: spent £89.05mn
2005-2006: spent £108.4mn

Over 300 million spent, so where the hell £120 million came from :confused:

200 million I corrected myself. We won the title in the 05 season. All I'm saying is that city have spent 400 million, they have one FA cup to show for it and are probably coming trophyless. We spent 200 million and got the double after and got to 2 CL semi finals in the first two years.

But yeah, I can bet you city will buy more players in the summer to try and win the league. I probably see them winning it next season though.

I admit we've done bad, but we've spent less than city and got the rewards quicker than they did although it was easier for us tbh.
Reply 3079
Original post by jam277
200 million I corrected myself. We won the title in the 05 season. All I'm saying is that city have spent 400 million, they have one FA cup to show for it and are probably coming trophyless. We spent 200 million and got the double after and got to 2 CL semi finals in the first two years.

Chelsea also started in a better position with better players. To reach a par with the top teams we needed to spend more than Chelsea did. The effects of inflation are worth noting too.

Nah. I'm down to earth and can see past a rocky couple of months where he was having to deal with coming back from injury and adapting to a new defence and league.

It's got **** all to do with that. Aleksander Kolarov is not a good defender and his attacking play is annoyingly unreliable.

He's not even the best left-back at City, let alone the league or the world.

Quick Reply

Latest