The Student Room Group

Sixth form entry requirements?

Hi, just wondering what the entry requirements are for your sixth form.
My school requires a minimum of six GCSE grades at BBBCCC, with the B grades being the subjects you're taking to AS level. If you wish to study four AS levels you must also have a minimum of four As at GCSE. There is also a 95% attendance minimum requirement.

I'm just wondering what others are because I wasn't quite sure whether this was standard or are these entry requirements above average? We have a new principal this year and he seems to want to raise the bar.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
5 A*-C grades so its pretty easy to get into mine haha. Then each subject has different requirements, like for psychology you need a grade C in maths, and for further maths you need an A* to do it

EDIT: However if you don't achieve at least a C in english and maths they will make you re-sit whilst in sixth form
(edited 11 years ago)
At the sixth form of my previous school it was 5 a*-c but having at least an b in the subjects you wanted to take but i know i couldn't get a B in one of the subjects so i went to a sixth form college instead which was at least 5 a*-c (including english and maths)
It's pathetically easy to get into sixth form... You don't even need to go to school for two years to get 5 Cs...
Reply 4
Pretty sure it was a minimum of a B in the subjects you wanted to study (based on the school's idea you'd probably go down a grade at A level), and I think there was the 5 A*-C grade stipulation as well, but I don't think they were too fussy on it.

But tbh by year 11, pretty much all the people who wanted to go to sixth form were on track for way more than the 5 A*s to Cs, and those who didn't had either decided long ago they wanted to go to a sixth form college because they didn't like the school/its lack of options, or were already doing some form of college course (in our school, you could go to college to do mechanics, beauty, building etc in lieu of doing 2 or 3 GCSE subjects).
5 A*-C not including ICT, and a minimum of a B in whatever A-levels you want, 95% attendance, more or less.
I just kinda rolled in without thinking about it so..
Reply 6
4 GCSE's grade A*-C in my school.
Thats it.. no B's for subject or anything.
Reply 7
For internal peeps:

ccbbb plus a/a* in additional science to take an a level in a Science.
To do Maths you have to have generally been in sets 1-2/3 out of 5, or reccomended, and have gained an a/a*.

Often, you can do History/ Geography/ Buissness without having done them for GCSE as long as you have a general ability in other subjects.

My school offers fairly traditional subjects (eg not Sociology) and is quite arts based. We have a swap scheme where if 1 of someone's choices is not available they can walk to the adjacent school and participate there instead.
Very easy, even some of the more respected ones like Woodhouse only asks for B's and maybe a few A's, and they're the best in England.
Original post by overskrill
Hi, just wondering what the entry requirements are for your sixth form.
My school requires a minimum of six GCSE grades at BBBCCC, with the B grades being the subjects you're taking to AS level. If you wish to study four AS levels you must also have a minimum of four As at GCSE. There is also a 95% attendance minimum requirement.

I'm just wondering what others are because I wasn't quite sure whether this was standard or are these entry requirements above average? We have a new principal this year and he seems to want to raise the bar.

My entry requirements are MEANT to be 5A*s-C but a girl in my year started out in Year 12 and she had 1 E and 1 G and that was it. Obviously she got straight Us and dropped out. It's ridiculous because so many people end up failing due to the low requirements, but that's how poorly-funded state schools get money :/
At my sixth form it's 8 A's including Maths, both english's and the sciences. For certain courses (further Maths, English lit, drama and the languages) you must have an A* in the subject at GCSE. However they do let some people in who achieve slightly lower grades but they are forced to take sociology and pshychology as two of their four AS levels. Then to get into year 13 you need 4 C's at AS but certain teachers will allow students back in with a D providing they achieved a C in one of the modules.
Reply 11
We had a strange system, but I think it amounted to about 8 A*-Cs, but certain subjects had more specific requirements. For some reason, they still let in people with much lower grades than that though.
Reply 12
5A*-C
My current school stipulates the need for 5A*-Cs inc. English and Maths for entry into the sixth form.

However, the school I hope to move to for sixth form (grammar school) has a requirement of at least grade A in subjects to be studied at AS. Bs are also required in English Language and Maths.

Some subjects have specific requirements though (i.e- sometimes further maths requires an A* in gcse maths)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
For my sixth form you needed 5 A*-C grades to do 3 A levels
If you didn't get your C in maths or english, you have to resit while in Sixth Form.
You could also choose level 3 BTECs if you got 5 E grades or above.
To get into a certain A level subject you needed at least a C but for Maths you needed at least a B.
If you didn't get a C you could still get in to a subject if the teacher decides you are capable or you could get a C and the teacher could say that you wouldn't be able to cope and not be able to be in the class.
If you want to do 4 AS levels you needed to have a special separate interview and your grade average from your GCSEs is calculated eliminating any BTECs or subjects where you get more than one GCSE from it, and you need to get at least a B average.

EDIT : Why would someone neg this? I'm only saying how it works at my school :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
My Sixth Form is 5 A*-C grades at GCSE to get in at AS (Plus a set of initial exams set by each subject to assess capability but as only an E grade is required these don't amount to much), and at least an E in 3 subjects to continue to A2. The only subject that doesn't follow this rule is Further Maths which stipulates a minimum A Grade at GCSE Maths for entry.
Original post by hassi94
but that's how poorly-funded state schools get money :/

State schools lose money if people drop out or fail so it is not in their interest to start students who have no chance

At mine ... ... ...
4 AS = 7 C+ with an average of B+ (including En and Ma)
Mix of level 3 Btec and AS 5 C+ (including En and Ma) predicted B/Merit in appropriate subjects

Up to 2 AS with Level 2s Bs in AS subjects

Level 2s no academic requirements

In addition

No exclusions

94% + attendance

Teacher recommendation required for all subjects (this can reduce the need for a B in some cases)
Original post by TenOfThem
State schools lose money if people drop out or fail so it is not in their interest to start students who have no chance

At mine ... ... ...
4 AS = 7 C+ with an average of B+ (including En and Ma)
Mix of level 3 Btec and AS 5 C+ (including En and Ma) predicted B/Merit in appropriate subjects

Up to 2 AS with Level 2s Bs in AS subjects

Level 2s no academic requirements

In addition

No exclusions

94% + attendance

Teacher recommendation required for all subjects (this can reduce the need for a B in some cases)

Hmm some teachers had told me that they get a lot of money for just enrolling students; whether they make it or not. Could easily be wrong, though..
Reply 18
5 A*-C's

Obviously the courses have there own requiremets, usually you'll need a B in that subjects and a B/C in English Language.
Reply 19
At my school you need:
5 GCSEs A*-C
Maths and English Grade C
B or above in any subjects you want to do (but I think they will accept a C occasionally)

It may be different for the IB, as I guess you need at least 6 Cs for that and most people will have RE, as it's a compulsory AS level. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest