The Student Room Group

Drinking alcohol before exams

Hello
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Would it be a stupid idea? Obviously not a lot, just a little bit to help you, ya know....free your mind a bit....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah bad idea, makes your mind cloudy... I heard smoking enhances memory as nicotine bonds chemically in the synapses though :biggrin:
Reply 2
Depends how much. I know people who have drank a lot or smoked a lot before exams and they ended up throwing up/passing out in exams. Doesn't seem like a very good idea. I guess if you were overly stressed, a small amount of alcohol couldn't do any harm...
Reply 3
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I went into general studies stoned out of my head :biggrin: and im not joking it helped me
I wrote about Bob Marley and world peace :tongue: but i was a bit paranoid to start off with
I dont think u should drink if the exams important, its gonna slow you down when ur tyring to think.
Reply 5
Do not do it under any circumstances.
Reply 6
It would be an incredibly stupid idea.
Reply 7
No dont drink, but as oldboy said smoking does help
Reply 8
If you do it then you deserve the D you end up with.
One of my friends was high as a kite for his history A level exam and ended up obtaining full marks in it.
Dynasty
If you do it then you deserve the D you end up with.

Exactly.
I'm not sure.. this sounds like it has some sense to it.

Playing the scenario out in my head, I can imagine having a weeny little drink (NOT like a pint or something!!) may be enough to relax you and get you thinking straight rather than "ohmygodwhatisthisexamohyesit'sthisandthisandIneedtorememberthisandohmygodi'mgoingtofail"...etc. :biggrin:
nooooooo
yesboss
Hello
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Would it be a stupid idea? Obviously not a lot, just a little bit to help you, ya know....free your mind a bit....

...........Would be the silliest idea I have ever heard of
Reply 14
BritPakistaniMuslimah

...........Would be the silliest idea I have ever heard of

Ahh lay off him he was obviously being sarcy :biggrin:
Reply 15
It is obviously not a good idea. Especially if you do it a few times to calm your nerves and it works, you'll soon find that psychologically you need a drink to calm down before every exam... then it will become before an important interview, and soon anything and everything important and stressful!

Smoking on the other hand does give you a biological advantage, but the risks are becoming addicted to cigarettes!

Ultimately, it may be best revising a little bit harder than trying to smoke and drink your way through exams. :p:
Reply 16
I guess it depends entirely on what type of exam it is.

If it's more of a free form type self interpretation style thinking subject like English Literature or Philosophy etc it probably could help.

Download some past papers and try it for yourself.
Original post by yesboss
Hello

I conducted this experiment in my college exams this time.I drank AND smoked.While SMOKING IMPAIRS one's judgement to considerable extent, DRINKING (say 100ml Vodka, not too much) is GOOD for calming the nerves and doing best of what we know about the subject. Drinking does NOT improve memory power, etc, just soothes us temporarily.
[I did those two just before going in for the exams each time, ofcourse]
(edited 8 years ago)
What a bump 👏
You'd have to be quite desperate to even consider doing stupid stuff like this. But I've never had alcohol before and I never intend to, so I don't know what effects it has.
Reply 19
Might work for a General Studies exam, although it's definitely not a good idea for your driving test…

Quick Reply

Latest