The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't be silly, of course you're not the biggest flop in history. Lots of students have to go a different route to get into uni because of grades. At least you got in, look at it that way, it's an achievement. Why feel ashamed of yourself? They're just letters on a piece of paper which you may be able to retake and it's still a university you got into. Also, you got an A, a top grade, and a C and a D are still passes. Who cares if your friends haven't heard of it? Doesn't mean it's bad. If you want to do the course you got in for, do it. If you don't, look at other courses, see if you can re-take or maybe get a job.
If you feel like committing suicide over your results then you should seriously see a doctor.
Soon you'll look back and see that a-level results aren't the be all and end all. At the end of the day you did your exams, passed with decent results (not everyone gets A*A*A*!! You got into uni which is an achievement whether it was your first choice or through clearing.
If other people are making you feel like this then they're not worth it.
Your results just mean that you're academically stronger in some subjects than others. You may have the capability to do well at uni, and once you have a degree nobody's gonna ask you about your A-level results anymore. Besides, they only seem bad to you because you're friends with high achievers - Lots of people have worse grades than you, believe me. You can still be proud of yourself.
ffs. Look, it's not the be all and end all. I got rubbish grades at A Level (BCD - a pathetic effort given my ability), largely because I'd lost all motivation for academia and just couldn't be arsed with it. Now on a Masters programme 8-9 years later (I'm 26 and still a student ffs :rolleyes: ), and I'm getting marks in the late 60s and recently a distinction mark of 72. Academically, I'm a late developer really.

You do have to bear in mind that the jobs market is a horrible (living) nightmare for graduates at the moment, even for those with straight A's etc, so this may make things that bit more difficult in the long run for you. Perhaps further education at this moment in time may not be for you, perhaps get a job and review the situation in a years time?? University is not the be all and end all and you also don't need to go to uni if only to experience the social side of things. You can have a great social life without having to go to uni, contrary to popular belief.

Perhaps you need to get a real perspective of the situation. A university degree doesn't guarantee you a job, it guarantees you debts and you become another graduate jobhunter on JSA.
Reply 5
Don't feel ashamed. There are far far worse things to feel ashamed about. Just be proud that you are into uni, you never know what will happen in the future. Your grades are much better then some of the people I know, you also got an A! Wow!
Your life is not ruined, it has only just begun.
Success in exams doesn't necessarily mean success in life. Show them what you can do now, it's not too late :smile:
Don't say you don't want to see your friends again! You'll miss them soon enough.
Anonymous
My final A-Levels result: ACD ( miss 8 more UMS to become ABC)

I got in a uni through Clearing, which my friends don't even know of its existence. I feel so ashamed of myself, I don't even want to see my friends again, those who got in Warwick, LSE...

Am I the biggest flop in history? What should I do now?

Yeah someones being a bit melodramatic now aren't they?! :yep:
You got ACD which are good grades overall...then got into uni (nothing wrong with clearing) and you want to kill yourself :confused: ffs
Don't want to see your friends again? why? because they did better than you? In life you'll come across loads of people who achieve more and loads that achieve less...get over it! :rolleyes:
I failed my Alevels (like Us and Es) then retook and ended up in medical school...wasting time worrying about what others think/do isn't going to help you. If your that bothered why not retake and have a second go at getting into your first choice uni? :smile:
Reply 8
I got BCC at A level (mixture of anxiety and apathy), and I felt somewhat similiar to you, especially with people eager to compare their results - had the misfortune of going private (not my decision) so was constantly bombarded by snobby A grade grabbers. My teachers said I was too stupid to go to university in the first place and was not allowed to take part in the UCAS sessions. I applied, I got into Brunel. I'm now doing a masters course.

Don't let anyone dictate to you how good you are or how you should treat yourself. If you feel that you've failed personally (I think those are good grades, well done on the uni place and the A), then use this opportunity to study hard and most importantly study well (big difference!). Have fun as well and take as many extra curricular opportunities as you can. I felt suicidal during highschool, but had the time of my life at university. I sometimes look back and feel tearful thinking if I had killed myself then that I wouldn't have all those experiences since then. Honestly, I've been in the same boat. Screw A levels, they're just for getting into uni. You've gotten your place. No need for them anymore. Think of this as your new beginning. These snobs going into Russell Group or whatever, they're going to be in their unis now. Just look forward :smile:
Reply 9
Put it this way, 1000's of people in the UK haven't been able to get into a Uni with higher grades than that so just be thankful. If you apply yourself correctly you'll achieve just as much as you would studying at a higher university.
Anonymous

I got in a uni through Clearing, which my friends don't even know of its existence. I feel so ashamed of myself, I don't even want to see my friends again, those who got in Warwick, LSE...

Compare your situation with mine and judge who should commit suicide:

Regardless of what grade I get A*A*A*,A*AA, BBC, CCD, DDE, I will have to attend the same university, which is ranked 5000 or something in webometrics.... moreover I can't even study the subjects I want to..(Wanted to study Physics/Aerospace Engineering/Mechanical Engineering but I will end up studying Electronics Engineering, which I have no interest in)....

Atleast you get to study the subject you want to and your university is bound to be ranked higher that the one I am going to....

Keep the grades up, do post graduation in a good university...This is not the end.
Grades aren't anything. You got into a uni you should be happy. This year so many people didn't get a uni place. It's not the uni that matters, It's what you make of it.
Reply 12
I got CCCD in my AS levels. I need AAA if I'm going to stand even a small chance of doing what it is I want to do.

I'm not crying about it or wanting to commit suicide. Get on with it you massive prick.
you got better results than me! i got CEU for A2, and that wasnt through lack of trying, the E was a quarter of a percent off a D. -.-
Anonymous
Yeah someones being a bit melodramatic now aren't they?! :yep:
You got ACD which are good grades overall...then got into uni (nothing wrong with clearing) and you want to kill yourself :confused: ffs
Don't want to see your friends again? why? because they did better than you? In life you'll come across loads of people who achieve more and loads that achieve less...get over it! :rolleyes:
I failed my Alevels (like Us and Es) then retook and ended up in medical school...wasting time worrying about what others think/do isn't going to help you. If your that bothered why not retake and have a second go at getting into your first choice uni? :smile:

Agreed :yep:

You still got into a university OP, spare a thought for the thousands of people who were left without any places at all.
I'm sure you'll get a placing in clearing. :h:

In the mean time, be like the master. Nothing can ruin his day!
A levels are a dismal means of assessing ones subject knowledge and ability, i wouldn't really feel downed if i ended up with those grades.
what uni did you get in to...? I hate people that think if you don't get into a top 5 uni you may aswell give up in life....
Reply 18
Dude, lighten up! I got DEU when I tried Alevels and I am just about to start a Masters, not in an easy topic I might add, so its absolute bullcrap if you think your life is over! Just knuckle down and make sure you do better on your degree. Once you have it no employer will be bothered by your Alevel results.
Anonymous

getting a grip, stop overacting and stop being a whinge is a good place to start

Latest