The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by star2899
Hi Vicki

I applied last year and was rejected at the AC stage due to sample lesson. I went on to get a job teaching A level as an unqualified. My AC is next week!

Don't think of it in the sense that you've got nothing more to add, i think it's more about you having another chance at something you really want. There are plenty of people who get in with little or no experience.

Reapplicants do have as much chance as new applicants, i've heard this from TF themselves.

Hi would you mind sharing why your sample lesson wasn't what was expected? I'm really nervous about that bit so any tips would be great!

Good luck with you AC!
Reply 101
Congratulations!

im getting a bit nervous about the group task. anyone know how long it is and got any indications as to its format? ie,

How many people in group?
Rough topic?
group presentation at end?
any hints on what to do if someone starts lording over the group?

anyone got any general hints for the day?

oooh and also, in the interview, do people think they are going to be asking teach specific questions (ie, "how would you handle this sort of pupil?" or simply questions on your history and qualities?

im getting very excited about all this, but also a little more nervous everyday. still cant wait though :smile: im on the 19th july for primary :smile:

Rob
Anyone got an AC this Thursday?
Original post by fetster

Original post by fetster
Congratulations!

im getting a bit nervous about the group task. anyone know how long it is and got any indications as to its format? ie,

How many people in group?
Rough topic?
group presentation at end?
any hints on what to do if someone starts lording over the group?

anyone got any general hints for the day?

oooh and also, in the interview, do people think they are going to be asking teach specific questions (ie, "how would you handle this sort of pupil?" or simply questions on your history and qualities?

im getting very excited about all this, but also a little more nervous everyday. still cant wait though :smile: im on the 19th july for primary :smile:

Rob

Hey,

Im applying for primary too, my AC is on the 20th. Did you get the list of 7 minute lesson subjects today?-they said it is sent out a week before the AC so I hope I get mine tomorrow.

I know a few people who are on TF so I have asked lots of questions about the AC. The group task is something like this- You have 30-50mins to read a document while the assessors leave then they come in as you discuss the assigned task, each person (4-8?) is given a character, each character has interests and motives then as a group they have to decide which character gets the money (in this case) so the characters were headteacher, governor, priest etc. It will therefore be a situation where everybody is giving their opinion so getting the group to manage time well is key. I have heard a lot of people not getting through because they did not talk enough so try to think of an approach to quieten the loud people for a moment eg 'it is important that everyone gets 20 seconds to give their opinion'.

The other tip I have been given it to interact as much as possible in the lesson eg get the 'pupils' to talk, write on the board, hold things up etc to engage them in the lesson. As they are acting like 11-14 year olds they will shout inappropriate things, you can say 'I am interested in/concerned about this,but I shall have to talk to you about this after the lesson'.

My friend's first question in her competency interview was 'what are your weaknesses' -so have a list of weaknesses (cheesily turned into positives) and a list of strengths to learn so you look confident when you answer the question.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

leanne
Original post by kwes91
Hooray :smile: Which subject are you applying for? Nervous?

Hi,

I'm guessing this is Katherine, it's laura from the AC yesterday, we were in the same case study group?! Have you heard any news?? xxx :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by lollypop1389
Hi,

I'm guessing this is Katherine, it's laura from the AC yesterday, we were in the same case study group?! Have you heard any news?? xxx :smile:

Hi Laura! No I haven't heard yet, but I know one girl who has. Have you heard anything?? Xx
Reply 106
Hi,

I had my AC yesterday. It went alright. Can never tell! Am feeling nervous now about hearing about the result.

I did my lesson on English.

They said 5 working days to hear a response, but i expect it's quicker than that.

Good luck to all with their AC's!
I’m tempted to apply for Teach First in the future but was wondering if someone could answer a simple question for me. I’m thinking about taking a GAP year next year to gain experience after I finish my masters in September, would they accept someone with a TEFL qualification or experience teaching in a volunteering role? The reason I ask this is I understand the prefer those with no teaching experience.

Thanks for your time
Reply 108
Original post by welshwaynejack
I’m tempted to apply for Teach First in the future but was wondering if someone could answer a simple question for me. I’m thinking about taking a GAP year next year to gain experience after I finish my masters in September, would they accept someone with a TEFL qualification or experience teaching in a volunteering role? The reason I ask this is I understand the prefer those with no teaching experience.

Thanks for your time

I don't think it's a direct preference over those with no experience. There are plenty of people who get in with experience of working in educational charities, voluntary teaching roles etc.

I think getting experience is a good idea. The application form does ask you to give examples about 'any charity/teaching/voluntary' experience.

I have applied and I had taught A level as an unqualifed for an entire year!
Original post by star2899
I don't think it's a direct preference over those with no experience. There are plenty of people who get in with experience of working in educational charities, voluntary teaching roles etc.

I think getting experience is a good idea. The application form does ask you to give examples about 'any charity/teaching/voluntary' experience.

I have applied and I had taught A level as an unqualifed for an entire year!

cheers for the heads up...will probably apply in the future though! good luck with your application
Reply 110
Hi,

Hi, just letting you know I didn't get on and nor did Gemma from our group. Going to apply for a PGCE instead. Ah well!

Kat
Original post by kwes91
Hi, just letting you know I didn't get on and nor did Gemma from our group. Going to apply for a PGCE instead. Ah well!

Kat

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that!! At least you have a back up plan tho!! Are you gonna get your feedback from them?? It was so nice meeting you all, I am sorry you didn't get it! Xxxx
Reply 112
Hi, Lollypop1398, did u do ur AC on the 13th??? x
Reply 113
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that!! At least you have a back up plan tho!! Are you gonna get your feedback from them?? It was so nice meeting you all, I am sorry you didn't get it! Xxxx

Yeah waiting for feedback. Did you get on then? Xx
Reply 114
Original post by kwes91

Hi, sorry to hear u didn't get on, im also waiting to hear, i did mine the 13th. Any reason why u think u didn't make it? Its not meant to be I suppose :-) one door closes another opens xx
Reply 115
Original post by HayMedow
Hi, sorry to hear u didn't get on, im also waiting to hear, i did mine the 13th. Any reason why u think u didn't make it? Its not meant to be I suppose :-) one door closes another opens xx

I had my AC on the 13th, waiting to hear. Sometimes not getting in can mean you'll move into other things and you'll look back and think 'it was meant to be'
Original post by kwes91

I've been made a conditional offer for English, I have to pass a Subject Knowledge Audit first though :-S xxxx
Hi, Lollypop1398, did u do ur AC on the 13th??? x

I had my AC on the12th. what subject have you applied for? What did you think of the day? Xxxx
Reply 118
I had my AC on the12th. what subject have you applied for? What did you think of the day? Xxxx

I thought it was a good day, intense though I suppose, and a lot of stuff I thought after 'why did I say that, why didn't I say that?!' haha. But oh well, still waiting, did u hear the day or 2 days after?? xx
Reply 119
I thought it was a good day, intense though I suppose, and a lot of stuff I thought after 'why did I say that, why didn't I say that?!' haha. But oh well, still waiting, did u hear the day or 2 days after?? xx

Good luck HayMedow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending