The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I'm not too sure how it works for highers, but I imagine it'll be on their website. The points QUB give out of 42 are solely a combination of academic performance (be it GCSE, A level or degree) plus UKCAT. They don't award points for PS and references like other unis
Reply 161
If we cqn manage to make it to interview its a clean slate then and we are assessed on our mmi performance only
Reply 162
Oh the injustice of it - 10 marks more in my ukcat would have left me on 40 queens points (also not happy that they dont look at PS or reference)
Reply 163
Anybody know where the interview cut off score /42 is likely to be?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by laurenl93
hmm i made the thread so im guessing im the one with the power to do that?

......anyone know how you go about doing that? lmao

apparently you need to click on thread tools and click on the poll option :wink:
Reply 165
from what i can understand i dont think there really is a cutoff out of 42, i think its something like the top 500 applicants make it to interview - anyone know how many applied?
Original post by Doctor2b
from what i can understand i dont think there really is a cutoff out of 42, i think its something like the top 500 applicants make it to interview - anyone know how many applied?

Hey you're right...it's top 500 get interviewed.i think last yr the cut off was about 37/40. But it's hard to compare this year because of the new scoring system for ukcat.I think there were about 800 apps last yr from what I heard,I would expect it to be a bit higher this yr.

Doctor2b I meant to give u a positive rating but accidentally hit the negative,I'll try to sort it out!
Reply 167
Original post by Rascal2011
Hey you're right...it's top 500 get interviewed.i think last yr the cut off was about 37/40. But it's hard to compare this year because of the new scoring system for ukcat.I think there were about 800 apps last yr from what I heard,I would expect it to be a bit higher this yr.

Doctor2b I meant to give u a positive rating but accidentally hit the negative,I'll try to sort it out!

no worries about the negitive, i don't really read them anyways. 800 isnt that much to be taking the top 500, last year in my class like 15 applied and one got in cos his grades were good enough the rest of us scored lower (take into account people like me - i applied with 29/42 knowing id never get in but i applied anyway cos its definatly my first choice) that was around 15 in my school and there probably are loads more doing the same - especially with the new scoring system some people might apply without fully understanding it
no worries about the negitive, i don't really read them anyways. 800 isnt that much to be taking the top 500, last year in my class like 15 applied and one got in cos his grades were good enough the rest of us scored lower (take into account people like me - i applied with 29/42 knowing id never get in but i applied anyway cos its definatly my first choice) that was around 15 in my school and there probably are loads more doing the same - especially with the new scoring system some people might apply without fully understanding it

This is true..you will have a lot of yr13s applying who maybe don't have the grades but you have to unfortunately balance this with the large number of students who are reapplying or the graduates who all automatically start with 36 points.it has been said before that queens favours older/grad students and their cut-throat gcse scoring system definitely reflects!

Are many of the others from your class who applied last yr reapplying this year doctor2b?
Reply 169
id say maybe 2 and me (im not at the school anymore) but they are repeating A-levels. So there could be people like those who get the automatic 36 points but then underperform on the resits which means they get rejected cos they didnt meet the entrance requirement of AAAa. others went on to do biomed and pharmacy but even if the go the post grad route they shouldnt hinder our chances.

another mistake: if they have to repeat a-levels i dont think they get the automatic 36 points which means that they're in the same boat as the first time appliers (i.e. grades from gcses counted) - correct me if im wrong
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 170
this is getting bad - people will really think im crazy if i keep replying to my own replies.

Another thought - ill look it up after but i dont think queens are in favour of people repeating their A-levels (they want it all in one sitting i think) so those people back at school who are repeating a module of chem or a module of bio will apply but wont be favoured too much when it comes to choosing for interviews. Queens are interviewing on the16,19,20th of december and i expect we will be given at least a weeks notice if we are to be interviewed so am hoping to hear by roughly the 9th dec maybe?
(edited 12 years ago)
this is getting bad - people will really think im crazy if i keep replying to my own replies.

Another thought - ill look it up after but i dont think queens are in favour of people repeating their A-levels (they want it all in one sitting i think) so those people back at school who are repeating a module of chem or a module of bio will apply but wont be favoured too much when it comes to choosing for interviews. Queens are interviewing on the16,19,20th of december and i expect we will be given at least a weeks notice if we are to be interviewed so am hoping to hear by roughly the 9th dec maybe?

Haha don't worry about it, I think everyone is getting a little crazy with stress waiting to hear about interviews!

You're right, from what I remember, QUB say that they only have a limited number of spaces for people repeating their ALevels, and those that do will be expected to have AAAa with a minimum of AAB at first attempt. I'm pretty sure that GCSEs will be counted for those guys. GCSEs are only forgotten if you already hold 3As at ALevel or a degree.
Reply 172
id say maybe 2 and me (im not at the school anymore) but they are repeating A-levels. So there could be people like those who get the automatic 36 points but then underperform on the resits which means they get rejected cos they didnt meet the entrance requirement of AAAa. others went on to do biomed and pharmacy but even if the go the post grad route they shouldnt hinder our chances.

another mistake: if they have to repeat a-levels i dont think they get the automatic 36 points which means that they're in the same boat as the first time appliers (i.e. grades from gcses counted) - correct me if im wrong

I went to a queens info day after results and had this discussion with the head of admissions as I am repeating myself. Queens have strict guidelines for repeats:
1)You must have achieved AABa or AAAb on first attempt.
2)You must repeat all modules in the subject you are retaking except for practicals or coursework.
3)You must have applied to Queens the previous year and if you received an offer you must have accepted it.
Then anyone with AABa/AAAb and repeating will receive the maximum 36 points for academic performance. Once interviewed a repeat student will stand the same chance as every other candidate who is interviewed and if successful in interview they will then receive a conditional offer.
Reply 173
I don't know anything about the MMI scoring system, do you?
Original post by os93
I don't know anything about the MMI scoring system, do you?

I don't think we're really supposed to know!:smile: but from what I hav heard,each station carries equal marks and the examiner has a checklist and you are scored based on that.
Reply 175
Original post by aoife_m
I went to a queens info day after results and had this discussion with the head of admissions as I am repeating myself. Queens have strict guidelines for repeats:
1)You must have achieved AABa or AAAb on first attempt.
2)You must repeat all modules in the subject you are retaking except for practicals or coursework.
3)You must have applied to Queens the previous year and if you received an offer you must have accepted it.
Then anyone with AABa/AAAb and repeating will receive the maximum 36 points for academic performance. Once interviewed a repeat student will stand the same chance as every other candidate who is interviewed and if successful in interview they will then receive a conditional offer.

thats good info, do the conditions 1 and 2 count for AS levels taken in year 13? I scored AABB in my as levels at the end of year 13 but repeated a coursework unit in tech during year 14 and a module of AS biology in jan of year 14 bringing my AS results up to AAAA when they were received in august - my a-level results in august (for one sitting at A2 - i.e. no A2 repeats) were A*AAa - at the open day the dean of medicine or whatever you call him said that i am in the category to receive the 36 points so i take it the one sitting rule counts only for A2
(edited 12 years ago)
I will be finishing my degree this year (Biotech), planning on doing a year of hospital work experience for 12/13 and applying in 2013, reason being I didn't do A levels but Btec in Medical science and HND in Bio and Chem. My degree should be a minimum of 2:1, but I think I need the work experience behind me perhaps to give me a bit of a chance, well, I hope it gives me a chance! Am I being silly by applying or what could I do to help my application?! Should I maybe do a Pgdip or Pgcert in Biomed at Queens while doing part time work placement in Sept?! Agh.. my head!
Reply 177
@muffinmcpuffin

I think it'd be a good idea to contact QUB and make sure they'll accept your Btec and HND qualifications instead of A levels (which will be fixed at ABB for graduates by then) as that's the first hurdle you'd need to make sure is cleared. I'm personally not sure if they are accepted.
Reply 178
has anyone heard from Queens yet (not acknowledgement)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Original post by buddy
has anyone heard from Queens yet (not acknowledgement)?

nothing yet, but somebody has to hear something soon!

Quick Reply

Latest