The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B salters F336 help

Heres the problem, I'm doing decomposition of hydrogen peroxide with a yeast catalyst and I want to find out the rate constant, but the yeast is in grams per dm cubed, and i can't find the molar mass of the yeast to find out the concentration and the reaction is first order with respect to the enzyme. I'm using branstons yeast by the way. Is there a way to get round this, or does anyone know the molecular mass of that particular yeast?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Please help, I've got to do a draft pretty soon and I have no idea on what i'm doing.
Hi, I'm thinking of doing this same coursework title for my chemistry f336 coursework investigation. I was wondering if you would recommend it? Did you find it achievable or if you'd advise to avoid this topic because of any particular problems you encountered. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by jaoneeds-education
Hi, I'm thinking of doing this same coursework title for my chemistry f336 coursework investigation. I was wondering if you would recommend it? Did you find it achievable or if you'd advise to avoid this topic because of any particular problems you encountered. Thank you

Do the iodine clock reaction as that's the easiest, although this one is easy when you get the hang of it and work for it, do the experiments due to temperature, ph and whatever else you wanna do, then do it.

Yeast is an organism, so will have no molecular weight, however you can use an inorganic material like potassium permangenate I think, don't use yeast, because you'll end up with the rate constant problem and it complicates things.
Reply 4
Hi guys. I've collected all of my data but i've only recorded the times to the nearest second and i was wondering if that was ok or should i record them to 2.d.p?
Hi I wondered if anyone has any exemplar coursework I could see as I'm really stuck with no help from my teachers and no previous coursework (its the first year my school has done salters).

Quick Reply

Latest