The Student Room Group

Stopping on a manual car

So when you are coming to a stop on a manual car, do you depress the clutch and depress brakes until you come to a stop then put in neutral? Or do you have to downshift while stopping?
So let's say you are in 2nd or 3rd gear do you have to switch to a lower gear before you stop or is it just clutch down and break?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't have to do anything. In fact you don't have to stop, albeit it is advisable :p:

Its a judgement call, sometimes it is easier to stop in 2nd or 3rd and then put it into 1st when stopped (otherwise you ruin 1st gear if engaged when moving), other times you can go down the gears and use engine braking instead of the footbrake to slow you down, for example when slowing down to a red light that you can see from ages away, on a slip road or dual carriageway.

Gotta adjust your driving for the road conditions and that flexibility is the sign of a good driver. Rather than sticking to procedure.

As long as you are safe in what you do, of course.

Graham
Reply 2
I generally put my foot on the break to stop and only engage the clutch when i'm nearly at a standstill and then after coming to a standstill put it in first. I do this only up to the point where I'm in third gear before I have to stop. If I'm in 4th or 5th I generally slow the car down (I don't like to leave everything to engine breaking) to about 20-30 before changing down to 3rd and then come to a complete standstill before placing it in first. If I break from forth or fifth to a standstill it feels like the car will stall (I don't like riding the clutch). I never use neutral unless I'm done driving or my left leg starts to hurt.

But it's personal choice, if it's safe for you and others around you, do whatever floats your boat.
Reply 3
I just coast :O
Reply 4
Brake until nearly at a standstill, clutch down, put into first. Wait until lights are green.
I tend to shift down the gears and use engine braking to stop if I know I'm going to have to stop, like at traffic lights etc. Otherwise, if I don't know it's coming, I'll just push the clutch down and change into first/second or whatever depending on what I need.
Reply 6
Original post by Camoxide
Brake until nearly at a standstill, clutch down, put into first. Wait until lights are green.

Why not put into neutral, or do you like those racing starts?
what i tend to do... clutch and brakes pop car into 2nd when im slow enough ... ready to go again... if i come to a complete stand still on down to 1st... if i remember... im a lucky lucky girl that my car doesnt murder me for starting off in second... it should :frown: its bad.. i always realise iv done it too late... :frown: sorry car!

im a bit of a serial coaster... was always being told off for it by my driving instructor :frown:

what should be done ... is move down through the gears as you slow
you have more control over the car this way and its what you'd have to do to pass a test...

x

(i also try to stop In my car not On it :P ) sorry couldnt resist...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Depends...

Approaching a red traffic light (or a complete stop) apply brake, under 20mph i'll start to apply the clutch, stopped completely, change into 1st gear, bring the clutch up to breaking point apply a little accelerator, ready to speed off again :cool:

Turning a corner apply break, foot on clutch, select 2nd gear, turn corner, apply accelerator...and zoom off again

I never really change down the gears when slowly down...Once you've driven for a certain period of time you can judge what gear goes with what speed...Like i've been known to be going from 50mph to 30mph and change from 5th gear to 3rd gear without going to 4th...

been driving for 10years :colone:

but to pass your test select all gears when you are slowly down :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
I tend to downshift, unless I have to stop unexpectedly - then I just apply the break immedietly, apply the clutch when nearly at a standstill and then go into first gear ready to pull away.
Original post by BexiG

Ive been taught the opposite, dont bother going through all the gears when you dont need to.
E.g. if im approaching a t-junction in 4th, start slowing down, put the clutch down and change into 1st directly when ive reached about <10mph and then stop (as opposed to going from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st).
Same applies for taking a corner, stay in 4th and slow down to about 20mph and change gear straight to 2nd.
Reply 11
Original post by hypercaine.
Ive been taught the opposite, don't bother going through all the gears when you dont need to.

Yeah, this is called block changing, and it's far more effective.

Gears are used to drive the vehicle "gears to go", so it's better to only bother selecting a gear you're actually going to use.
Original post by tufc
I just coast :O

After passing I do this all the time! Whenever I see a red light, into neutral I go and slowly glide in! Easier!
Reply 13
One thing my dad told me after 40yrs of driving...Do what the instructor says to pass your test! once you're on the road that's when you truly learn to drive. when you're on a motorway doing 70mph and a truck drives pass splashing your whole windscreen and you can't see for a couple secs you learn fast :ahhhhh:
Reply 14
Original post by Mbob
Why not put into neutral, or do you like those racing starts?

My instructor never taught me to put in neutral at lights. There's need. Means you're not in control of the car.
Reply 15
Original post by BexiG
Depends...

Approaching a red traffic light (or a complete stop) apply brake, under 20mph i'll start to apply the clutch, stopped completely, change into 1st gear, bring the clutch up to breaking point apply a little accelerator, ready to speed off again :cool:

Turning a corner apply break, foot on clutch, select 2nd gear, turn corner, apply accelerator...and zoom off again

I never really change down the gears when slowly down...Once you've driven for a certain period of time you can judge what gear goes with what speed...Like i've been known to be going from 50mph to 30mph and change from 5th gear to 3rd gear without going to 4th...

been driving for 10years :colone:

They teach the opposite now. I don't know anyone who's been taught to downshift to slow down. When approaching a red light you put the clutch down keep it down select the gear to 2nd and if you have to come to a full stop you put it in first. A clutch is a lot more expensive than brakes.
Original post by BexiG
One thing my dad told me after 40yrs of driving...Do what the instructor says to pass your test! once you're on the road that's when you truly learn to drive. when you're on a motorway doing 70mph and a truck drives pass splashing your whole windscreen and you can't see for a couple secs you learn fast :ahhhhh:

...like drive at 80mph along with everyone else so lorries can't pass?
Reply 17
Original post by Like_A_G6
...like drive at 80mph along with everyone else so lorries can't pass?

nope try 100mph and seeing the lorries as dots in your mirror :colone:
Reply 18
My instructor never taught me to put in neutral at lights. There's need. Means you're not in control of the car.

Eh, if I'm sitting in neutral with the handbrake on I've made the car safe. I don't see how I'm not in control as I can get into gear and get the car moving without causing hold ups because 1. it's not difficult and 2. I can see when the lights are going to change. Sitting in gear with the clutch down isn't giving you any more control than I have, and I'm led to believe that it can cause clutch release bearing wear, so best to avoid it in my opinion.

Whats there to be in control of if youre sitting there with the handbrake on?
I usually keep it in gear so I can get ready quicker but im sure with experience ill put it into neutral more often. Also, apart from a few occasions I havent been sitting stationery long enough for it to matter what I do, 4-way temporary traffic lights are a nightmare though, sitting there with the clutch depressed for what seems like 5 minutes is a bit pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest