The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Product Design and Manufacture?

Is there anyone else who's applied for PDM at Nottingham?

I've just firmed a conditional offer, but I've already got the grade in Physics I need (I took a module in January) and I'm just waiting for it to come through UCAS so it can change to an unconditional!

I can't wait for the course to start in September!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Is there anyone else who's applied for PDM at Nottingham?

I've just firmed a conditional offer, but I've already got the grade in Physics I need (I took a module in January) and I'm just waiting for it to come through UCAS so it can change to an unconditional!

I can't wait for the course to start in September!

Yep I've just firmed my offer for PDM, can't wait! Wish I could get an unconditional like you but I'm pretty confident I'll get the grades. What halls are you gonna apply for?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by TheBrownTown
Yep I've just firmed my offer for PDM, can't wait! Wish I could get an unconditional like you but I'm pretty confident I'll get the grades. What halls are you gonna apply for?

Ah! Finally! Someone else on PDM! I thought I was all alone T_T

I've got a place in Hugh Stewart Hall, so only like 5 minutes away from the Engineering buildings!

Excited to start the course?
Ah! Finally! Someone else on PDM! I thought I was all alone T_T

I've got a place in Hugh Stewart Hall, so only like 5 minutes away from the Engineering buildings!

Excited to start the course?

Yeh definitely excited! I think PDMers are quite rare which is why it took so long. I haven't done the accommodation yet but I'm about to, I'm not too sure what to pick but I'm leaning towards catered.

I saw in the firm offers thread you're doing a year in industry, who's that with and would you recommend a YINI? I wasn't originally going to do a product design course I was going to do a more traditional engineering one but when I saw this course at Nottingham I just loved it!
Yeh definitely excited! I think PDMers are quite rare which is why it took so long. I haven't done the accommodation yet but I'm about to, I'm not too sure what to pick but I'm leaning towards catered.

I saw in the firm offers thread you're doing a year in industry, who's that with and would you recommend a YINI? I wasn't originally going to do a product design course I was going to do a more traditional engineering one but when I saw this course at Nottingham I just loved it!

Yes, not many of us at all. I think there may be only 30 of us on the course. (Eeek, safety in numbers an all that. There are 150 on Mechanical Engineering o.o)

Catered is good! With all the work we'll be getting first year it's probably best to go with catered so it's less to worry about.

Yup! Year In Industry for me! I'm with Chemring Countermeasures and yes I would recommend a YINI placement. Either pre-uni or during your course would be great. It's as much about work experience as it is about the degree with Engineering. You learn a lot, gain a lot of independence and you're one step ahead of everyone who hasn't done a placement!

I know what you mean! I was leaning towards Mech Eng, then we came to Nottingham on the open day and I saw the design studio with all the work of PDMers and fell in love. It's the perfect blend of design and engineering for me!

And I can't wait for 2nd year when we get to use design programs to make models of our products!
Yes, not many of us at all. I think there may be only 30 of us on the course. (Eeek, safety in numbers an all that. There are 150 on Mechanical Engineering o.o)

Catered is good! With all the work we'll be getting first year it's probably best to go with catered so it's less to worry about.

Yup! Year In Industry for me! I'm with Chemring Countermeasures and yes I would recommend a YINI placement. Either pre-uni or during your course would be great. It's as much about work experience as it is about the degree with Engineering. You learn a lot, gain a lot of independence and you're one step ahead of everyone who hasn't done a placement!

I know what you mean! I was leaning towards Mech Eng, then we came to Nottingham on the open day and I saw the design studio with all the work of PDMers and fell in love. It's the perfect blend of design and engineering for me!

And I can't wait for 2nd year when we get to use design programs to make models of our products!

Yep I feel the same way about the blend of engineering and design, it's pretty much perfect for me. I've officially now applied for catered accommodation so I'll hear from them soon, I told them I'd rather be close to engineering but I'm not too fussed. I think the small amount of PDMers is good, makes it easier to get to know people. It's weird though the other day I found out that someone that was in the year above in my school is doing this exact course, small world!
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep I feel the same way about the blend of engineering and design, it's pretty much perfect for me. I've officially now applied for catered accommodation so I'll hear from them soon, I told them I'd rather be close to engineering but I'm not too fussed. I think the small amount of PDMers is good, makes it easier to get to know people. It's weird though the other day I found out that someone that was in the year above in my school is doing this exact course, small world!

Oh! What accommodation did you go for?

That is a small world. I know a guy who's in the year below me, in a different school in my old town who might be firming PDM at Notts too.

Yeah, I can imagine it'll be nice to have certain lectures with just 30 of us in. We'll actually have a chance to know everyone on our course!
Oh! What accommodation did you go for?

That is a small world. I know a guy who's in the year below me, in a different school in my old town who might be firming PDM at Notts too.

Yeah, I can imagine it'll be nice to have certain lectures with just 30 of us in. We'll actually have a chance to know everyone on our course!

You can't say exactly which halls but I went for catered single-study and wrote in specific requirements that I'd prefer to be closer to the engineering department.
You can't say exactly which halls but I went for catered single-study and wrote in specific requirements that I'd prefer to be closer to the engineering department.

Awesome! Good luck. I hope you get what accommodation you want! You should be able to, it's still pretty early on in the year.
Awesome! Good luck. I hope you get what accommodation you want! You should be able to, it's still pretty early on in the year.

Thanks. I'm liking the username by the way, Ravenclaw always were the coolest house in Hogwarts lol
Thanks. I'm liking the username by the way, Ravenclaw always were the coolest house in Hogwarts lol

Why thank you ;D Ravenclaw always is the best house.

So what sort of stuff are you interested in? (Besides the wonderful blend between Engineering and Design)
Why thank you ;D Ravenclaw always is the best house.

So what sort of stuff are you interested in? (Besides the wonderful blend between Engineering and Design)

You mean there's a world beyond design and engineering? :confused:
Nah but seriously, you mean about university or just generally what am I into?
You mean there's a world beyond design and engineering? :confused:
Nah but seriously, you mean about university or just generally what am I into?

I know! Did you know... that some people... do English? Haha.

Oh sorry, I mean just in general. Like music, films, games, books etc.
I know! Did you know... that some people... do English? Haha.

Oh sorry, I mean just in general. Like music, films, games, books etc.

I think I'd rather watch paint dry for 3 years than study english!

In terms of music I'm open to anything really although my main music tastes are rock and electronic music, favourite bands are Muse, Linkin Park and Pendulum. I love my films but don't see as many as I'd like, favourite film is probably inception. I saw the hunger games a few days ago and it was so good I ordered the books. I only tend to read during the holidays but I do like to read. I'm a bit of a nerd cos I do like to play on my PS3 quite a lot.

Other than that, I love sport, both watching and playing. I'm a big American Football fan and plan on joining the team at Nottingham, I also like Football and play tennis. I love cars, (hence why I was interested in mechanical engineering) but I don't know much about how they work, (hence why I'm no longer interested in mechanical engineering.)

Um that's probably it really, how about you then? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you like Harry Potter? lol
(edited 12 years ago)
I think I'd rather watch paint dry for 3 years than study english!

In terms of music I'm open to anything really although my main music tastes are rock and electronic music, favourite bands are Muse, Linkin Park and Pendulum. I love my films but don't see as many as I'd like, favourite film is probably inception. I saw the hunger games a few days ago and it was so good I ordered the books. I only tend to read during the holidays but I do like to read. I'm a bit of a nerd cos I do like to play on my PS3 quite a lot.

Other than that, I love sport, both watching and playing. I'm a big American Football fan and plan on joining the team at Nottingham, I also like Football and play tennis. I love cars, (hence why I was interested in mechanical engineering) but I don't know much about how they work, (hence why I'm no longer interested in mechanical engineering.)

Um that's probably it really, how about you then? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you like Harry Potter? lol

Music taste is a bit similar for me. I like rock, some metal, Linkin Park are brilliant! I can't wait to go to some awesome gigs at Rock City next year!

Inception is an awesome movie! I love anything like that, superhero movies (I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises!), Star Wars, Harry Potter (obviously), anything with action, sci-fi or fantasy, but also the good old chic-flicks for a night in with a bar of chocolate. Looking forward to the Avengers and The Hobbit too! Saw the Hunger Games reccently, it's great but the books are so much better!

PS3 all the way! None of this XBox nonsense. I like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Asylum, those sort of games. Though I've been told i need to try CoD or Battlefield at some point.

I'm not a massive sports person, I did karate for seven years and don't really support any major teams. I do quite like Canadian Ice Hockey though! And Quidditch of course! I'm so joining Quidditch Soc!
Music taste is a bit similar for me. I like rock, some metal, Linkin Park are brilliant! I can't wait to go to some awesome gigs at Rock City next year!

Inception is an awesome movie! I love anything like that, superhero movies (I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises!), Star Wars, Harry Potter (obviously), anything with action, sci-fi or fantasy, but also the good old chic-flicks for a night in with a bar of chocolate. Looking forward to the Avengers and The Hobbit too! Saw the Hunger Games reccently, it's great but the books are so much better!

PS3 all the way! None of this XBox nonsense. I like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Asylum, those sort of games. Though I've been told i need to try CoD or Battlefield at some point.

I'm not a massive sports person, I did karate for seven years and don't really support any major teams. I do quite like Canadian Ice Hockey though! And Quidditch of course! I'm so joining Quidditch Soc!

I don't get why in the hunger games movie they all sleep around eachother? Surely one of them could just wake up and kill all of them while they sleep and win it? Have you played Skyrim? Best game of all time, it's awesome. How does the Quidditch soc even work? Pretty sure flying broomsticks haven't been invented yet haha
I don't get why in the hunger games movie they all sleep around eachother? Surely one of them could just wake up and kill all of them while they sleep and win it? Have you played Skyrim? Best game of all time, it's awesome. How does the Quidditch soc even work? Pretty sure flying broomsticks haven't been invented yet haha

Yes, that wasn't very well explained in the movie. Basically there are these people called 'Careers', usually from Districts 1 and 2, who train for The Hunger Games from a very young age then when they're 18 they volunteer. So there is a very high chance that they'll win the Games, for glory, money etc. The Careers usually link up in a group so they're deadly, then take each other out at the end.

Skyrim! That's one I really want to play, but I've heard there have been quite a few buys on PS3 about 40/50 hours in, such as dragons flying backwards etc. I don't know if the bugs are sorted yet, hopefully they will be soon!

Ah, I think they just run around on the field without brooms obviously :P and someone is dressed as the snitch I think who the seekers have to catch etc. It just looks like a lot of fun mainly! And it'll be some sort of excercise at least.
Yes, that wasn't very well explained in the movie. Basically there are these people called 'Careers', usually from Districts 1 and 2, who train for The Hunger Games from a very young age then when they're 18 they volunteer. So there is a very high chance that they'll win the Games, for glory, money etc. The Careers usually link up in a group so they're deadly, then take each other out at the end.

Skyrim! That's one I really want to play, but I've heard there have been quite a few buys on PS3 about 40/50 hours in, such as dragons flying backwards etc. I don't know if the bugs are sorted yet, hopefully they will be soon!

Ah, I think they just run around on the field without brooms obviously :P and someone is dressed as the snitch I think who the seekers have to catch etc. It just looks like a lot of fun mainly! And it'll be some sort of excercise at least.

Yeh they kind of explain the people from districts 1 and 2 but why wouldn't Katnes (when she's up the tree surrounded by them), wake up during the night, climb down and kill them all? The film also builds up the importance of the sponsors but then during the games themselves there is no mention of them! I make it sound like I hated it but I just like to nitpick lol.
I have had very few bugs with Skyrim, a few flying Mammoths but nothing that ruins the experience. You mentioned the Avengers, me and some mates are going to see it at the iMax in London in 3D, I cannot wait it looks amazing! :clap2:

We've kinda gone off topic haha, but oh well it's not like anyone else on here will do this course anyway
Yeh they kind of explain the people from districts 1 and 2 but why wouldn't Katnes (when she's up the tree surrounded by them), wake up during the night, climb down and kill them all? The film also builds up the importance of the sponsors but then during the games themselves there is no mention of them! I make it sound like I hated it but I just like to nitpick lol.
I have had very few bugs with Skyrim, a few flying Mammoths but nothing that ruins the experience. You mentioned the Avengers, me and some mates are going to see it at the iMax in London in 3D, I cannot wait it looks amazing! :clap2:

We've kinda gone off topic haha, but oh well it's not like anyone else on here will do this course anyway

Well for one thing she had the burn on her leg still. Also, if she climbed down the tree, they could wake up and then she wouldn't stand a chance. Ah yes, that's another thing that doesn't get properly explained in the film. The silver parachutes that get sent into the arena are paid for by the sponsors. So they'll send extra food, medicine and help to their favourite tributes.

It's a lot better explained in the book, when you read it a lot of things will make much more sense!

Ah, I might have to get it then soon! Maybe I'll try and get the first few obsessive days out of my system before uni, otherwise i might end up holed up in my room and miss loads of stuff!

Lucky with the Avengers. >_> I might have to drag some friends to go see it in IMax, I imagine that'll be a movie that'll be great in that situation. They really should do a Justice League live action movie as well. Apart from Batman, DC has been a bit neglected on the movie front. (Well there was Superman Returns and Green Lantern, but neither were brilliant.)

Haha, yes yes we have, but that's fine ;D Hopefully we'll be able to get to talk to some other PDMers before the course starts!
Well for one thing she had the burn on her leg still. Also, if she climbed down the tree, they could wake up and then she wouldn't stand a chance. Ah yes, that's another thing that doesn't get properly explained in the film. The silver parachutes that get sent into the arena are paid for by the sponsors. So they'll send extra food, medicine and help to their favourite tributes.

It's a lot better explained in the book, when you read it a lot of things will make much more sense!

Ah, I might have to get it then soon! Maybe I'll try and get the first few obsessive days out of my system before uni, otherwise i might end up holed up in my room and miss loads of stuff!

Lucky with the Avengers. >_> I might have to drag some friends to go see it in IMax, I imagine that'll be a movie that'll be great in that situation. They really should do a Justice League live action movie as well. Apart from Batman, DC has been a bit neglected on the movie front. (Well there was Superman Returns and Green Lantern, but neither were brilliant.)

Haha, yes yes we have, but that's fine ;D Hopefully we'll be able to get to talk to some other PDMers before the course starts!

Are you nervous at all about going to uni? I'm gonna be quite nervous it's a big transition, I suppose you'll find it easier though thanks to your year in industry. What happens with accommodation during your year in industry? Do you have to find a flat or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending