The Student Room Group

Am I entitled to paid vacation?

I just got a job working for a small company (very small - only 8 people).
I'm working July to October.

Now, my understanding is that all jobs come with paid vacation.
But my employer thinks not...

The contract I signed didn't say anything about vacation but I am working full time and this article states that anyone who is on some sort of contract should get paid holidays pro rata http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/as_an_intern_do_i_have_the

According to my calculations I am entitled to 6 days and if I don't take them then I should get paid for them.

Who is right? And if I am right how best to approach the issue without looking like all I want in a weeks holiday in a role that only lasts 16 weeks!
Well, it does look like all you want is a week off in a role that only lasts 16 weeks considering you only started 3 weeks ago. Its people like you that contribute to the failure of many small businesses.
Reply 2
Original post by College_Dropout
Well, it does look like all you want is a week off in a role that only lasts 16 weeks considering you only started 3 weeks ago. Its people like you that contribute to the failure of many small businesses.

Out of interest, why shouldn't he want the vacation days he is allowed by law? Do you work yourself? Do you not take the days off you are entitled to?
Reply 3
I actually think OP is right, by law you should be entitled to your holidays unless there's some clause within the contract, however, only working for that amount of time, I'd just keep my head down and work, rather than starting to piss your colleagues off.
Yeah you are. I worked a temp job for 12 weeks and I was entitiled (and paid) at least 5 days holiday.
It might be there's a clause in your contract stating you have to work a probationary period before you can take paid holiday - at my work you don't get paid holiday until you've been there 3 months (along with other benefits like a discount card, you don't get it till the probation period is up). You can take holiday during the first 3 months but it's unpaid leave.

Have a look at your contract :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
It might be there's a clause in your contract stating you have to work a probationary period before you can take paid holiday - at my work you don't get paid holiday until you've been there 3 months (along with other benefits like a discount card, you don't get it till the probation period is up). You can take holiday during the first 3 months but it's unpaid leave.

Have a look at your contract :smile:

Those clauses haven't been allowed since 2001.

The WTR give workers 28 days paid holiday, pro-rata. It gets quite complicated with Bank Holidays, though - which are included in that 28 days.

There is a requirement that you have to give the employer double the notice of the holiday period.
Reply 7
I don't think the "if I don't take them I should be paid for them" part is right, as far as I am aware if you don't take your holidays you loose them.

but I think you should be entitled to actually have some in the first place. Although I don't know if I would actually make a fuss and demand them in a role that only lasts 16 weeks anyway you are within your rights to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending