The Student Room Group
Reply 1
silver service is when people come to the table with a platter and dish you what you want.
Reply 2
regatta :hmmmm: ...sounds like a pasta dish.
lol, the henley regatta is this really posh event in england...something about rowing races I think...
~*starlight*conquest*~
1)Any idea what 'silver service' and 'plate service' are?

2)What would a 'kitchen porter' be expected to do?

3)Same question for 'supervisor (for catering)', 'crews enquiries' and 'river marshals/stake boats' .

4)Do you need to be 18 to be a 'Bar Person'?

5)If anyone's worked at the henley regatta, what position(s) do you recommend?

1) silver service is a bitch if you don't even know what it means then don't apply. It's basically ludicrously fascious rules about how to serve things to people. Lift this fork with this hand whilst looking in this direction etc. It depends who trains you obviously but in general its just a formula for serving someone.
2) kitchen porter bit of everything i believe it would include clearing tables, but obviously it depends on the number of staff involved. Sometimes in a job defined as kitchen porter i've cleared and served but generally its work around the kitchen that doesn't involve cooking. and customer work that doesn't involve taking orders or putting out the food.
3) with your current knowledge supervisory positions are irrelevant for you.
4) depends, your allowed to do everything but serve, so you can change barrels etc, but i'd imagine theyl be using bar staff for that.

i'd apply kitchen porter dog's body that means you don't stop and get shouted at get paid jack **** but it means you'l have catering on your CV so you can apply for something better next time.
Reply 5
think I'd rather be a tea bar assistant at Henley like this one - www.student-jobs.co.uk/job-details_36027.aspx

sounds a bit more fun than being a kitchen porter anyway? anyone done this job??
Reply 6
From what I know...

1)Silver service involves holding a large dish of something and serving it at the table using a fork and a spoon. It is tricky to pick up if you have never done it before.

4)Most likely. People I know who have tried to be bar staff have been turned away for being under 18 so they probably wouldn't be interested in you as bar staff as you legally can't serve drinks.

Latest

Trending

Trending