The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Desperate Prayer
Try not to be *too* overdramatic about this :p:

Think about it, its only made it harder to buy alcohol for those who, by law, cannot buy it. The limit is there for a reason. While I believe the limit (As well as the classification of other things) is unduly harsh, you have to remember that a lot of people (not perhaps including yourself) stand to abuse alcohol, or indeed, any other substance if allowed.

The only misgivings I had about the new system, were that I had flashes of my younger self and friends trying to buy alcohol for a party without ID, and how much it sucks for people in the same situation now :p: :p:
Oh, and a genuine fear that I wont look over 25 (and therefore will be hassled) until over 40 :p:

What principally annoys me is that no other countries in Europe have this, and yet we are exxpected to put up with it. Why is it always the British that apparently cannot trust individuals to self-regualte and instead require state regulation to such an extreme?

France and Germany have no Think 21 or 25 or whatever.
I hate the way they're gradually working towards an ID everyone scheme. Why can't they just be honest and do it and not put it up in increments as if we won't notice? It's like when you're waiting for a train and they delay it by 2 minutes, then 2 minutes again, and so on when really they knew it was going to be half an hour late all along.
Reply 262
I work at Morrisons and I think our new scheme is really good, but alot of people get offended when you ask for ID. I make sure I ID everyone who I think looks under 25, and some get really argumentative, which is annoying because I could lose my job if I said something back to them.
It's my job and at the end of the day, I don't want to lose it by not doing it properly. I wish the customers could see that. D:
this is all fuelled by young people getting drunk and causing trouble (politically) so you only have yourselves or your siblings to blame.
Erik.
What principally annoys me is that no other countries in Europe have this, and yet we are exxpected to put up with it. Why is it always the British that apparently cannot trust individuals to self-regualte and instead require state regulation to such an extreme?

France and Germany have no Think 21 or 25 or whatever.

Think 21 is not a state sponsored scheme is it?

Its only the law that says you cannot sell alcohol to under 18s
I wonder how long before "Think 30". I think most people under 40 could pass for an under 25 if they dressed the right way.
think 21 is supported by the home office, trading standards and the police.
tesco are currently think 21 however this is changing to think 25 in january 2009
if you get caught selling to someone underage it is £10,000 for the member of staff a fine for the store and possibly a loss of licence.

we id anyone who is under 25ish. and if in a group everyone especially if money is seen to change hands.

member of tesco checkout staff
Reply 267
Ah Tesco, you gotta love it.
Wow Scorpion101, you have done your "Next Steps" (can't remember its real name) training well :wink:
But I thought the fine was £5000 :s-smilie:
I don't pay much attention to the booklets :P
Hmm... I was doing last minute Christmas shopping today in Sainsburys, and at the counter the cashier asked if I was alone. Not thinking, I replied "no, I've got someone to help me with the packing" (my 16 year old sister was having a drink in the café, and I meant taking things to the car rather than packing). She said that "it's not the packing I was on about, it's the alcohol". Then she took my ID off me, wrote down my name and address on a sheet, and carried on as normal. Does anyone know why my details were taken?
Reply 269
RightSaidJames
Hmm... I was doing last minute Christmas shopping today in Sainsburys, and at the counter the cashier asked if I was alone. Not thinking, I replied "no, I've got someone to help me with the packing" (my 16 year old sister was having a drink in the café, and I meant taking things to the car rather than packing). She said that "it's not the packing I was on about, it's the alcohol". Then she took my ID off me, wrote down my name and address on a sheet, and carried on as normal. Does anyone know why my details were taken?

It's company policy in Sainsburies to take the details of all ID's checked. I think it's because they can then trace who checked whose ID and track people if trading standards come back at them.

The above is simply a rough guess as to why, but it seems logical. :smile: It's like my local takes ID from the students and shows it to the security camera as proof they have taken it and acknowledged it as proving above age limit.
Reply 270
Spotty Dog
I've recently started working for Morrisons, who are (as far as I know), the strictest in respect of alcohol retailing. We operate Think 25 (as opposed to Think 21) and Group IDs. This means;

If you look under 25, you should be ID'd
If you're in a group, all of your group should be ID'd if they are suspected of being uner 25.
If you're in a group and your group has split up (ie some of you have left the store or you have gone to different tills), you will either be brought back together and ID'd or refused (if you refuse to come back together)

Morrisons argue that it's to prevent underage purchasing, and purchasing for those who are underage, and personally I think it's a fantastic idea. If you've got nothing to hie you've got nothing to fear.

I had a girl refused yesterday because she denied being part of a group who had left the store. My manager had seen them pass her money and then leave. She denied it, so she was refused.

Opinions?

We have these exact rules in the Tesco i work at. They're a bundle of joy to enforce aren't they? :rolleyes:
Reply 271
anyone who actualys ID's some who looks over 21 is a giant douche whether or not the company does think 25 which is extremely homosexual anyway
Reply 272
Hate ID schemes, they don't stop teenagers getting hold of alcohol and they just piss everyone off.

Had a few notable ones....

At gamestation, buying a 15 rated game ( I was 20, and look older ):
"Got ID?"
"eh?"
"ID"
"Are you joking?"
"Nah, it's more than my jobs worth mate"
"Whatever...*digs out ID*"
"...****...you're older than me"

And at a Morrisons in Islington (after a year of using Morrisons, never again; it's a dirty **** hole
Go to the checkout manned by a 60s-ish woman, weekly shop and a selection of ales...
"Got ID for these?"
"Eh?...Oh, sure *digs out ID and hands it over*"
...an awkward minute later, the old bint obviously having trouble figuring out how old I am...
"This says you're 19?"
"Eh?"
"Is that right?"
"I'm 20"
"Oh sorry, *checks date again*....I can't serve you then"
"Eh? Why?"
"You're 20."
"So?"
"I can't serve you unless you're 21 *points at think 21 sticker*"
":rolleyes: That just means you have to check for ID if I look under 21, you're allowed to serve me"
"Sorry, I can't serve you"
"Can I speak to your superviser please..."

Fecking idiots. Pay peanuts get monkeys I guess.
Eugh I hate how strict superarkets are. I was with 3 other friends in Asda last week and I was buying a bottle of wine with my basket of shopping, we all got ID'd and one of them didn't have his ID on him but he is 22. The rest of us are 21. So I couldn't buy the bottle of wine, what a joke.
I was in a group of about 6 and everyone bought normal food like sweets/chocolates etc. I bought a baileys choc truffle. The really small things in a little box. The whole group got IDed as the cashier thought we were all gonna get wasted on a small truffle.
Reply 275
I don't agree with the group IDing thing.

It is legal to drink alcohol in my own home if I am underage. I've had a situation before when my Mum wasn't able to buy me a bottle of wine to take to my friends, so my friends 22 year old sister said she would get me it. I was ID'd. I was 17 but that doesn't mean I wasn't allowed to drink the wine.

I have no problem with the 25 age thing, I just think the group ID isn't fair.
Reply 276
I think the point alot of people seem to miss is that it is perfectly, 100% legal to give alcohol to anyone over the age of 5 in your own home. The supermarkets and labour government seems to have missed this entirely in their crusade against underaged drinking.
Well its all political pressure from the Govt coz of yobs and people who buy alcohol illegally

If you want to blame anyone, blame the other posters on this forum who ask about buying alcohol when they are not old enough!

There are some harsh fines for stores now if they keep doing it IIRC.
Reply 278
Reue
I think the point alot of people seem to miss is that it is perfectly, 100% legal to give alcohol to anyone over the age of 5 in your own home. The supermarkets and labour government seems to have missed this entirely in their crusade against underaged drinking.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Its illegal to SELL to u18s, not to drink it.
Reply 279
fran.ha
This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Its illegal to SELL to u18s, not to drink it.

The problem is that the law is too complex. Under s149 of the Licensing Act 2003 it is an offence to purchase alcohol on behalf of a child.

But as you rightly say, it isn't usually an offence to buy alcohol then supply it to a child - it is only an offence in very particular cases e.g. on licensed premises.

This distinction - between "on behalf of" and simply supplying - makes perfect sense to me as a lawyer, and I'm sure makes equal sense to the supermarket's lawyers too.

But it's far too difficult to enforce at the checkout - particularly when there are severe penalties for getting it wrong.

Latest