The Student Room Group

Would i be accepted into Hong Kong University, or another university in HK?

I'm seriously contemplating applying for HKU :biggrin:

But first of all i obviously need to find out wether i would likely be accepted.
I'm 17 male Caucasian and finnish college in a month.

GCSES:
Art & Design A*
Religious Studies A
Physics B
Physical Education B
Mathematics B
Information Technology B
Geography C
English Literature C
English Language C
Chemistry C
Biology C

So far at AS Level i have:
Business Studies B
Film Studies B
Philosophy B

and will likely get B's in the a-level exams if all goes well.

I also have started up 2 companies in the last year organizing exclusive club nights for 16+ market, and have worked with various other event companies working in PR and event management. Do a lot exercise, kickboxing, parkour, some kung fu. And have been self teaching myself basic chinese mandarin.

Do you think i would likely be accepted into HKU? Or perhaps another good uni in hong kong?
Or maybe even Japan?

I will most likely go on to study business as that seems to be my forte :smile:

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
anyone? :frown:
HKU's business dept isnt the strongest in HK. if you like business, try HKUST, best business dept in asia i think.
Reply 3
kenbellston
HKU's business dept isnt the strongest in HK. if you like business, try HKUST, best business dept in asia i think.

Thanks :biggrin: I'm looking into HKUST now, do you know what kinda grades you need to get in?
oldboyuk
Thanks :biggrin: I'm looking into HKUST now, do you know what kinda grades you need to get in?

I think you stand quite a big chance if you are applying for BBA courses. the hardest course in ust business sch to get in is Quantatitive finance, which is a very mathematical course.

BBA (except global business) are pretty easy to get in, and have quite a good graduate prospect.
Reply 5
kenbellston
I think you stand quite a big chance if you are applying for BBA courses. the hardest course in ust business sch to get in is Quantatitive finance, which is a very mathematical course.

BBA (except global business) are pretty easy to get in, and have quite a good graduate prospect.

wow just had a look around the website, looks really good :biggrin:
my only quarry is that it seems a lot further out compared with HKU and i'd love to run a few club nights in hong kong while I am there, which would be harder at HKUST :frown:

But definitely an option!

Does anyone know grades needed for HKU?
I've been resitting exams so i might be able to get AAB
Yah, HKU says that you have to have a minimum of C in your GCSEs/IGCSEs in order to apply however as there are hundreds applying you probably need higher grades unless you are super talented on something. I heard that only 44 ppl entered out of 120 ( the maximum number of students accepted) in the medical faculity last year so you get the picture.
oldboyuk

But first of all i obviously need to find out wether i would likely be accepted.

GCSES:
Art & Design A*
Religious Studies A
Physics B
Physical Education B
Mathematics B
Information Technology B
Geography C
English Literature C
English Language C
Chemistry C
Biology C

Business Studies B
Film Studies B
Philosophy B

I also have started up 2 companies in the last year organizing exclusive club nights for 16+ market, and have worked with various other event companies working in PR and event management. Do a lot exercise, kickboxing, parkour, some kung fu. And have been self teaching myself basic chinese mandarin.

Do you think i would likely be accepted into HKU? Or perhaps another good uni in hong kong?
Or maybe even Japan?

depends on which faculty u wanna get in. to me, your gcse grades arent quite up to the standard for HKU, simply not enough A*. also the combination of your a-level subjects looks kinda weak to me. anyway good luck.
yah, i recommend if you dearly want to enter the school choose creative arts
Reply 9
oldboyuk

GCSES:
Art & Design A*
Religious Studies A
Physics B
Physical Education B
Mathematics B
Information Technology B
Geography C
English Literature C
English Language C
Chemistry C
Biology C

Business Studies B
Film Studies B
Philosophy B

Or maybe even Japan?

you are getting pretty good grades, but you should def contact the uni itself and ask what they want. im not sure if this only implies to students in hong kong, but you have to have a second language other than english and cantonese BUT THEN, at the same time, they said something like if you studied in an international school it is alrigth? so its kinda confusing..ahah.
i know they love students that take ib, they have high recognition of that. but im not sure about a levels, cause i take ib myself.

another tip is that, apply early!! they take quite a while to give you a response. check their site out

www.hku.hk

mm are you studying in hong kong??
if not, heres a brief summary of it haha
- stuff are pretty affordable
- good transportation
- good food :smile: theres a huge variety!

im from hong kng myself haha
hope it helps :wink: good luck

ps, theres high competetion!
Reply 10
stuff are pretty affordable ??

U sure about this, last I was there, I found it to be the most expensive in all Asia.
Original post by oldboyuk

GCSES:
Art & Design A*
Religious Studies A
Physics B
Physical Education B
Mathematics B
Information Technology B
Geography C
English Literature C
English Language C
Chemistry C
Biology C

Business Studies B
Film Studies B
Philosophy B

Or maybe even Japan?

If u go to uni theres a thing called a selection in order to go to overseas uni u take the exams and the top 10 will get the places if someone in the top 10 doesn't wanna go then the person in 11th will get the offer an so on.

I'm applying for uni and wanting to go to Seoul,HK or China and i'm going through a selection process.

HKU is partners with Kent university, depending on what course u want to do then they are at 300-320 UCAS.

Nottingham trent also do the same thing but in Polyu (HK polytechnic) heres a link: http://www.ntu.ac.uk/nbs/international/international_partnerships/index.html
HKU is very hard to get into and generally has very high academic standards.

I don't know what course you are applying for, but I would imagine they expect a lot more A*s and As for GCSE and A*s and A for A level.
Yes, as already highlighted, the Hong Kong University is one of the world's top universities and as such demands very high entry criteria.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ultimate mashup
Yes, as already highlighted, the Hong Kong Polytechnic is one of the world's top universities and as such demands very high entry criteria.

HKU is not a polytechnic
Original post by No Future
HKU is not a polytechnic

I meant to say "Hong Kong University", but I had that other uni on my mind for some reason lol.

EDIT: I just realised this thread dates from 2009 so it isn't relevant now anyway
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest