The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right, because the 2009/2010 thread is completely irrelevant. Seriously, applications won't be out for months; hell, this year's application cycle has yet to be completed.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
There are only two (or so) months left until application cycles start up again, but the major schools and programs have already finished selecting their postgrad students.

I'm applying for the MPhil. in Historical Studies, and I've got a lot of my application's stuff gathered together now.
Reply 3
poi12
Right, because the 2009/2010 thread is completely irrelevant. Seriously, applications won't be out for months; hell, this year's application cycle has yet to be completed.

Its irrelevant to me. Its a bit pointless my posting my thoughts about college choices and so on when everybody in that thread is talking about accommodation choices and the finalisation of their funding applications.

Departments will take applications from September. The application is quite involved, particularly writing the research proposal. I simply won't have time during term to devote to this application, so I'm preparing it now. I expect other Oxford and Cambridge students (with intense terms) will be doing the same. Indeed I was advised to make an early start by my Director of Studies.
Reply 4
I've got a lot of information gathered, GRE test lined up, etc... going for an MPhil in Economics. Cambridge would be my first choice.
Reply 5
I've already begun gathering my information for the MPhil in International Relations, but won't actually be submitting the application until January.

EDIT: In order to meet the deadline for the Gates Trust (and increase my chances of getting in due to the lower GPA requirement), I've decided instead to apply to the MPhil in Development Studies. My research interests apply to both, so I can't imagine that it would be too much of a change for me.
Reply 6
Well part of the early-as-possible submission is purely to appeal to various funding opportunities I would otherwise miss out on. Also contacting the referees ASAP so that they don't say 'yes' and then take 5months to get round to it :rolleyes:
I'm probably gonna apply for Mphil Finance 2010 entry.

Can somene rate my chance?

2nd year result - 85% average (50:50 weighting between 2nd and 3rd year,so i only need 55% in my third year to get a first)

BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance from Lancaster University Management School.

The thing i'm most worried about is the BA since Cam specified the degree has to be quantitative....
I don't plan to tke the GMAT either because it's not compulsory and hence a waste of time, effort and money lol...:woo:
Reply 8
MPhil in Politics from France here. Is the GRE required? God I hope not.
Reply 9
I was planning on applying for Part III of the Math Tripos for 2010 entry, but I've extended my current course for an extra year so I shall have to return to this in twelve months' time...
Wow early post :biggrin:

Am thinking about Cam, not 100% sure yet for PhD.
Reply 11
apotoftea
Wow early post :biggrin:

:girl:
verticalforce

Can somene rate my chance?

2nd year result - 85% average (50:50 weighting between 2nd and 3rd year,so i only need 55% in my third year to get a first)
Well its not like you're throwing away an application with that record :p:, but Finance may well be fairly competitive, so I shan't comment. Perhaps you can look at the admissions stats on the department page.
My cousin's friend got an upper second from Glasgow in geography and is going to Cambridge in September for postgrad, if that helps.

:getmecoat:
Reply 13
Craghyrax
Its irrelevant to me. Its a bit pointless my posting my thoughts about college choices and so on when everybody in that thread is talking about accommodation choices and the finalisation of their funding applications.

Departments will take applications from September. The application is quite involved, particularly writing the research proposal. I simply won't have time during term to devote to this application, so I'm preparing it now. I expect other Oxford and Cambridge students (with intense terms) will be doing the same. Indeed I was advised to make an early start by my Director of Studies.

I'm touring the univ and labs that I think I *might* like to apply to. While you can get an idea of the type of research that someone is involved with, you can't really tell much about their personality etc from the website....
Reply 14
arod
I'm touring the univ and labs that I think I *might* like to apply to. While you can get an idea of the type of research that someone is involved with, you can't really tell much about their personality etc from the website....

Good plan. Lucky I'm applying to my own department, so I know everybody. And they me :s-smilie:

I'll try and visit the other Universities on my list. Although I think that in my case reading work published by the main people in departments will help me more than meeting them.
Reply 15
joshlyman
MPhil in Politics from France here. Is the GRE required? God I hope not.

I don't believe so. It mostly seems to be required for those going into business or the sciences.
Reply 16
Does anyone know whether or not you have to send passport size photos with you application if you're applying via the Internet? I'm wondering because the Faculty of History asks you to send them three copies of the on-line application, and I'd like to know if they would want photos with it.
Reply 17
Well (if its the same as it was for ug) they use them to make your graduate Cambridge cards, so I assume they still want them by mail.
Reply 18
When will the application for the MPhil in Politics be open?
Reply 19
Dude, you're going to need to look up this stuff on the department website :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending