The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pinkpenguin
Running n00b here.

I'm a rugby player, so am used to exercise etc, but not so used to extended running. Invasion games usually consist of short sprints rather than continuous jogging.

Are there any athsma sufferers? I've found it really difficult in the cold air to run comfortably. I take my inhaler before I go but it still hits me quite badly after 10 minutes or so :frown:

I suppose there's not much I can do about it but I thought I'd have a little whinge.

Also, if I were to enter races, where do you think is the best place to start? 10k in a couple of months? Half marathon maybe late summer/autumn time?

I suffered/am suffering from asthma. Started doing regular exercise a year or so back and the doctor told me my asthma was now a 'tendency to asthma' which I inheritated from my mother. From this I've worked out, if I keep up the regular exercise, it pretty much stays under control without any need for inhalers. However, I stopped running for over a week, after getting up to 1km (not much but you know) went back out and was literally dying after two minutes. Now I've had to go back to one minute run, one minute walk and build up from there.

I advise you do the same. Of course, it surprises me you can manage rugby, football always killed me! And I know what you mean about the cold weather, I try and go out when it's not frosty and find it much easier to breath. All I say is try 2 minute running, one minute walk/one minute running, one minute walk and build up from there. If you let yourself run to the point that you can't breath, you're body won't recover quick enough, whereas you should find by running but stopping before you get tired, you'll be able to build up your stamina and endurance much quicker! (I know it sounds boring, but after five weeks of just going for it, even I've realised the structured training plan might actually work).

Good luck!
I feel terrible. Not used my Garmin 405CX yet, not been running, not done anything but work, sleep, and slack. Anyone else feel/felt the same?
manx1991
I suffered/am suffering from asthma. Started doing regular exercise a year or so back and the doctor told me my asthma was now a 'tendency to asthma' which I inheritated from my mother. From this I've worked out, if I keep up the regular exercise, it pretty much stays under control without any need for inhalers. However, I stopped running for over a week, after getting up to 1km (not much but you know) went back out and was literally dying after two minutes. Now I've had to go back to one minute run, one minute walk and build up from there.

I advise you do the same. Of course, it surprises me you can manage rugby, football always killed me! And I know what you mean about the cold weather, I try and go out when it's not frosty and find it much easier to breath. All I say is try 2 minute running, one minute walk/one minute running, one minute walk and build up from there. If you let yourself run to the point that you can't breath, you're body won't recover quick enough, whereas you should find by running but stopping before you get tired, you'll be able to build up your stamina and endurance much quicker! (I know it sounds boring, but after five weeks of just going for it, even I've realised the structured training plan might actually work).

Good luck!

Thanks for the help!

It's definately got better - I could hardly run without dying when I was a kid. I manage playing rugby by just taking the Becotide inhaler on top of the Salbutamol.

Hopefully when I start getting used to long distance work rather than short sprints it'll improve :smile:
Anyone else having an absolute nightmare trying to get out to run at the moment because of snow and ice?
Apocalypte
Anyone else having an absolute nightmare trying to get out to run at the moment because of snow and ice?

yes. I ran saturday but it was just snow so okay. But once its ice its so slippy I have to run so slow! xx
Apocalypte

It was bad at home over Christmas which meant I didn't get chance to try out my new running shoes :frown: Its quite icy here now though not so bad that its impossible to get out. Went out yesterday and managed to avoid any ice. It's not everywhere so I just went slow and was careful.
I personally like to do running after a weight training workout to burn the fat a lot easier after depleting my glycogen stores.

I used to train 4x a week, but A2 dominating my life its getting reduced and I'm putting on fat whilst losing muscle. I HATE IT!
7 Valefor
I personally like to do running after a weight training workout to burn the fat a lot easier after depleting my glycogen stores.

In all honesty it makes very little difference, you might as well break it up into separate workouts and direct all of your effort towards the task at hand.

7 Valefor
I used to train 4x a week, but A2 dominating my life its getting reduced and I'm putting on fat whilst losing muscle. I HATE IT!

Sort your diet out then. Reduce your calorific intake slightly to bring your fat gain under control while maintaining a high protein and fat intake.

Also train properly, 2-3 full body free weight workouts per week with 1-3 cardio/HIIT sessions - you don't need to be spending more than 3 hours working out per week to get decent results.
How far do you run? Don't really keep track of distance
How long do you run for? 40 mins usually
Where do you run? Gym
What do you listen to? Anything with a good beat!
Why do you do it? Improve fitness and lose a bit of weight
Do you have any aims? Get back to my ideal weight
Hello.
How many others have signed up for the Great North Run?

I've just put my name in the Daily Mirror ballot and find out on Friday if I'm in, otherwise get put into the main ballot. ahh! Can't wait!

Got to sort out a training schedule now since I'm aiming for 2 and a half hours, either I start with some 5k training schedules (the usual one minute walk one minute run) or attempt the half marathon ones which jump straight up to running a million miles!

Going to go out now, in the lovely frost! and see what I can do!
pinkpenguin
Thanks for the help!

It's definitely got better - I could hardly run without dying when I was a kid. I manage playing rugby by just taking the Becotide inhaler on top of the Salbutamol.

Hopefully when I start getting used to long distance work rather than short sprints it'll improve :smile:

You're lucky, I discovered Benotide actually makes my asthma worse :s-smilie: since you're supposed to take it twice a day and the whole day I'd just be wheezing lol!

Yes, definately just build up slowly and you'll find it'll be under control- if Paula Radcliffe can do it so can we :wink:
.:Emma:.
I got the nike+ a couple of weeks ago now and have run 50km + in them so have given them a good test out, and I;ve got to say i've found them pretty good too!!! I'd say they're pretty much accurate within perhaps 0.5 km's or something from knowing how far the routes etc i normally go are. Anyway time im sure will tell, but for now I'm impressed and find them a great motivator whilst im on my run too!

A note - i;ve got the wristband although i do still run with my ipod, but for anyone looking to invest the wristband is recommendable as apparantly the nike+ drains the battery of ipods very quickly, so if you're doing long distance then it could run out and stop recording your run!

First run of the year today - 11.29km in 58 mins, looking at working towards a half marathon in May, so lots of time to get the distance and time i'm looking to down easily!

I've also got a fitness blog - Running into 2010... Emma's blog. Maybe people with the same kind of goals can post there too!

Happy new year! x

Yes I know what you mean. Not so sure about the wristband, I used the one you put in your trainers. But they act as a pedometer, which means they guess the distance you've done by how many steps you've taken, which then means throughout you have to keep the same speed/stride length- say if you started walking, you're stride length might change to when you are running, which wasn't great for me since I was constantly stopping :o:
Might attempt to run tonight. The snow turning slush and ice is so annoying sometimes.
My plan over xmas was to run and revise. But didn't really work out that well.

Now back at school it means fitting in running around school, exams and revision.
One of my new year resolutions was to start training for the London Marathon. I have a few years until I can do it, but starting early can only help, eh? :L
Anyway, I'd not run for at least two months due to shin splints / stress fracture, whatever I had, the NHS didn't help / tell me what I had O_e
So I started lightly on the treadmill, ran about 500m and suddenly my right hip and knee went.. I stopped for a minute, carried on for perhaps another kilometre and the shin pains I had been getting before came back, only this time accompanied by a stabbing pain in the middle of my foot.
As a result I can now hardly walk. Ah, the joys of running, eh? :L
I just happen to get injured when I actually want to run. Never when I am forced to through school >.<
Risking a run this weekend - i think that 3 months is long enough for a frickin sprain. if not ill chop it off.

gonna go for a 3.5km easy run, just to ease back in, and then after the exams start bashing some more miles out,
:biggrin:
Reply 176
Anyone else "successful" in the great north run ballot? :afraid:
i havent bothered going for one, because it moving in day at nottingham... i think
my dad has a defered place from last year so i could probably be him for the day if i wanted to do it
GNR last year was really amazing
Juno
Anyone else "successful" in the great north run ballot? :afraid:

You got a place? Well done! :smile: I didn't, never mind.

I did manage to enter a 24 hour race though. Anyone done anything of the sort/trained for anything like that? Doing it in a team of two, so it'll be as many 10km laps as we can string together in 24 hours...
Gypsy King

I did manage to enter a 24 hour race though. Anyone done anything of the sort/trained for anything like that? Doing it in a team of two, so it'll be as many 10km laps as we can string together in 24 hours...

that sounds like fun, how many laps are you aiming for?

Latest