The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Personal Statements - share tips and ask for advice

Scroll to see replies

Andylol
You need a personal statement to apply to a sixth form??
Yep, we did too. CV, Personal Statement, Interviews, etc, the full shebang. Not everyone needed an interview, but many did.

It's stupid, but it happens.
Reply 41
Andylol
You need a personal statement to apply to a sixth form??

Yep :mad:
Oh THAT's a disappointment. And I thought I would find comfort in this thread thinking I'm not the only one who hasn't got around to writing my personal statement for Uni, let alone sending my App off. *sigh*
Reply 43
This thread should be quite useful, tbh when I applied my personal statement was really bad and full of clichés but I still got in to one of the best sixth forms in the area, just try and sell yourself to the admissions people as much as you can and you'll be fine. :smile:
:lol: at having to go through all of this crud to get into a Sixth Form
Kuriso
This thread should be quite useful, tbh when I applied my personal statement was really bad and full of clichés but I still got in to one of the best sixth forms in the area, just try and sell yourself to the admissions people as much as you can and you'll be fine. :smile:

That's the same thread.
Reply 46
Ninja Student
That's the same thread.

Well it was a separate thread until a mod merged them together, hence my post is "Re: I need to start writing my Personal Statement" and most of the rest are "Re: Sixth Form Personal Statements - share tips and ask for advice".
Tempa
I'm applying to St. Davids college in Cardiff.

My subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics.

Need help with how to make my statement really sound like I'm intelligent.

At the moment it says:

I want to join the college, because it is close to my house. Also, because I think it is the best for me in terms of education.

I'd say it's more important to sound like you are keen on going there rather than intelligent. Expand on why it's the best for you in terms of education and other aspects that appeal to you about the college. Making yourself sound appealing and enthusiastic is probably the best way to go about writing why you want to go there.
Reply 48
i wrote my personal statement in november, sent it off and managed to get all my uni offers quite quickly

it took so many drafts though!

from reading other people's and the advuce i've been given, something crucial which should be included is about anything you do outside of sixth form/college
i've been told my teachers that universitys are really encouraged to offer places to those who can offer loads more to the uni itself, aswell as studying

hope my advice helps in some way :smile:
Sandy09
i wrote my personal statement in november, sent it off and managed to get all my uni offers quite quickly

it took so many drafts though!

from reading other people's and the advuce i've been given, something crucial which should be included is about anything you do outside of sixth form/college
i've been told my teachers that universitys are really encouraged to offer places to those who can offer loads more to the uni itself, aswell as studying

hope my advice helps in some way :smile:

this is about personal statments to get into 6th form, not about personal statements for uni
Reply 50
is 970 words too much?
Reply 51
I sat a CAT test for a place at Northampton School for Boys, and inevitably I didn't get in. There were over 550 applicants for 54 places. Unsuccessful applicants like myself can appeal, however it isn't a personal statement, it's a statement explaining why you want and must go to that school.

I had a statement written out before the I sat the CAT test - I knew I wasn't going to get in. My question is though, what kinds of things do you think I should include? I've explained about the courses [history, government+politics, english lit, english lang], and the Oxbridge application prep they give.

Also, an interview is included within the appeal. It's run by an independant board. The student's parents are meant to represent, but I will be talking for myself and my parents will accompany me. Do you know what kinds of things they'll ask and what'll happen? What will they expect of me? Thankyou in advance.
Reply 52
Hi this is my first time posting and im wondering if you can give me any tips as to how i can improve my perseonal statement the school that im applying for is Colchester college and i dont know anyone personally whom i can ask as i am currently living in asia

"Interests:

My key interests outside of school are sailing and reading. I also enjoy a variety of other team and solo sports but have not been able to practice them all in Singapore due to the climate.

I read extensively and my interests span a variety of genres ranging from classics to science fiction to biographies. Some of the more diverse books that I have read include Beowulf, Shakespeare, Jules Verne, Robert Heinlein and General Sir Peter De La Billierre. As my family are all prodigious readers, we frequently swap books and discuss what we have learnt, my Father, particularly enjoys introducing me to authors from his childhood, although he is now struggling to find ones I have not read.

Sailing is another pastime we enjoy as a family and we have recently enjoyed the use of a Dart 15 Catamaran, which has proved a challenge to master, particularly during the recent Monsoon Regatta. However, in my last regatta in a Laser, I was ranked second in class, despite racing against adults and being the youngest competitor by many years.

I find that enjoying a variety of sports has allowed us to integrate into each new situation we have found ourselves in. As we move back to Europe, I am greatly looking forward to picking up skiing again as we have not had the chance since we left the US.

Experiences:

My most formative experiences have been from travel. As a family, we have lived in Germany, UK, US and Singapore and we have also travelled widely on vacation, including Canada, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, Malaysia and Indonesia. My school trips from Singapore have included Vietnam, Thailand and this year Cambodia where we have contributed to charity work in the local community, such as working with orphans, and in cambodia this year we will be building houses for the locals. This has allowed me to experience a variety of cultures and witness at first hand, those less fortunate than myself. It is amazing to see the difference, but also the similarities between diverse cultures.

I have, unfortunately, not completed any work experience aside from some volunteer work in orphanages with school. This is mainly due to the amount of travel we have done and a lack of anchors in the local community. I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed my GCSE Business Studies and received special recognition for my work.

I do struggle with handwriting, as a result of being dyslexic, an issue that was first assessed when I was 8 years old. I have received assistance for this at school and I have been encouraged to learn to touch type and now use the computer for the majority of my studies. I average 70 words per minute and reach a peak of 90 words per minute. Unfortunately, typing has not resolved my lack of co-ordination

Career Plan:

Currently my career plan is to read Engineering at University but I am undecided between Mechanical and Civil. I would then like to serve with the British Army as an Officer in the Royal Engineers. Whilst my Father was an Officer in the Sappers for ten years, I do feel I have arrived at this proposed path independently based on my interest in the subjects and a sense of purpose.

My preference would be to complete an IB as opposed to A Levels, as I feel it would give me a broader outlook on life and complement my variety of experiences. It would also allow me to cover a wider range of subjects. However, if I were unable to pursue this option, I feel confident that I would be able to achieve my chosen aims through the A level system."

thanks litterally any help will be more than welcome, i need all i can get

i have a feeling that i should emphasise my travels but i dont want to seem like im showing off. also should i mention what schools i have attended despite the fact that they wount know them?

once again thanks for any help
Reply 53
Well I'm looking to apply to Loughborough, Aston and Essex currently more to be added soon.
At Loughborough and Essex I'm planning too to do Economics and at Aston Business management.

I only get one side of A4 paper for this and I cannot write a separate letter to each uni, just wondering how can I structure the two subjects into one =/
Bring out your character in the word u use hence "personal" statement and also remember to include ure goals in the future nice way of ending
The two sixth forms for which I am applying haven't requested any statements..are some actually asking for them? Or are these people just writing them, anyway?
Original post by besarlalluvia
The two sixth forms for which I am applying haven't requested any statements..are some actually asking for them? Or are these people just writing them, anyway?

I would guess they are asking for them.. I'm sure yours asked for some similiar information.
I need to write a personal statement but have no idea what will make me stand out from anyone else. What sort of qualities/interests do the schools like? Help please! :smile:
Reply 58
Hey guys this is my first time posting and i was wondering if anyone could help me out by taking a look at my PS.
also i know it sounds cheesey, but all the best ones ive read are!:smile:

From simple addition and subtraction to complex algebraic formulae, from learning about how magnets can attract and repel to learning about powerful intermolecular forces of attraction; In the fields of science and maths there is always more to learn, and more complex problems to be solved. The level of understanding and complexity has changed so much from earlier education, but knowing that what has been learnt so far just scratches the surface of true scientific understanding is what intrigues me all the more.

From a young age science and maths have always been both my strong points and my most enjoyed parts of education. I enjoy the logic and rational approaches to the subjects and new topics and discoveries are derived from simple building blocks which then can be used to prove .... . I recently represented the school (along with three other students) at a junior team mathematics competition at Bury St Edmunds.

One of my hobbies is gaming, but it is not merely playing games, I am also very interested in the development side of it and the role artificial intelligence plays. This is my main reason for wanting to choose computing, it gives me a chance to combine a personal interest with academic study, as well as a chance to apply the logic and algorithmic skills of maths. It something which although I have little background knowledge in, I wish to understand more about, because I am never content merely saying “oh well” if there is something I do not understand.

Other hobbies of mine include cooking which regrettably, due to timetable restrictions, I could not study at GCSE level. I also am an animal lover and well as caring for my own pet dog, I have dog walked for friends.
On many occasions I have chosen to take part in extracurricular activities. Some of these events include: being head of finance for a young enterprise group, participating in a year 11 peer mentoring program as well as the fact I am currently fund raising for a world challenge expedition to Mozambique. All of these experiences I choose to take part in added (and in some cases still are adding!) to my education in a way that learning in a classroom never could.

In the Young Enterprise group as head of finance, I had to learn to deal with many responsibilities and gained many skills such as: decision making, time management, accurate record keeping, effective planning and delegation of roles. Due to the vast amount of money I have to raise for World Challenge, I have had to learn to be very organised in management of both my time and my money. All these experiences in combination with my current part-time job (a daily paper round) I believe have lead me to become a very well organised, responsible and independent person.

I would one day like to go to a well respected university (such as Cambridge or Imperial) and study a science based course. I know that if I am to succeed in this then I must achieve the highest possible grades, and I feel that your college is the best place for me to do this. I know that I would benefit greatly being in a more challenging environment and studying with other pupils of a similar academic level.

they are the main points i want to say but im unsure on some bits (the ...s)
also im unsure on the ordering of it and how much to write, it is currently just over a page ( by about two lines) so perhaps i should cut some of it?
Any help on any part would be much appreciated:tongue:
THanks
hi, new on the student room but here it goes. basically, im applying for coopers' company and coborn sixth form (currently in barking abbey yr 11) and i was wondering what are the chances of me getting in were.

Im currently doing subjects: double science (grades A* and A) Drama ( grade B) Maths ( grade B) english Language (grade A) english literature (grade A) IT (grade B and A) Sociology (grade C :frown: ) Music (grade B/A)

I can also play guitar to a grade 4 standard ( have 2 distinctions and a merit), and can also speak fluent Turkish ( am taking gcse this summer)

Thanks in advance!

Also, forgot to add, is it worth me doing a Personal statement on the application form, It doesn't ask for one?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending