The Student Room Group

How long does you driving lesson actually last? Or am i getting done over here?

Just wanted to know if your lesson started at say 1pm what time does your instructor get to your house for?

I just feel like am getting a lil done over. I had my second 1.5 hour driving lesson yesterday. My instructor gets to my house bang on time...drives me to a quiet place which takes 10 mins and then i get in and start driving around etc but then she finishes 10 minutes early so that she drives me home and i get home for bang on 1.5 hour later.

Shouldn't i be driving for 1.5 hours rather than missing out on nearly 20 mins?

Or is that just how it is? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No that sounds like a great instructor, some instructors tell you to start driving home before the end time so you end up leaving 30mins early. you pay for the time you spend with her :L
Reply 2
Steviebwoy101
Just wanted to know if your lesson started at say 1pm what time does your instructor get to your house for?

I just feel like am getting a lil done over. I had my second 1.5 hour driving lesson yesterday. My instructor gets to my house bang on time...drives me to a quiet place which takes 10 mins and then i get in and start driving around etc but then she finishes 10 minutes early so that she drives me home and i get home for bang on 1.5 hour later.

Shouldn't i be driving for 1.5 hours rather than missing out on nearly 20 mins?

Or is that just how it is? :confused:

I think that's fairly normal. Soon you'll start driving from your house and driving right back to your house, so it will be fine. I think the ten minutes you spend together driving to the quiet place counts as part of your lesson.
Reply 3
M_E_X
I think that's fairly normal. Soon you'll start driving from your house and driving right back to your house, so it will be fine. I think the ten minutes you spend together driving to the quiet place counts as part of your lesson.

ok then, thanks for reply :smile:

What about the last 10 minutes though?
If that keeps happening it adds up to like hours :s-smilie:
This sounds fine. You pay for the time spent with the instructor, not for the time you drive for. It's only your second lesson, once you get more experience you'll be allowed to drive home, so you'll get more driving time. :smile:
Reply 5
You're paying for 90 mins of her time. She's taking up 20 mins because you've clearly not been learning for very long and she doesn't want to throw you onto whatever faster busier roads are around your house. In a couple of lessons you'll be driving everywhere yourself for the full 90 mins, no more wasted time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Steviebwoy101

You have to remember that you're paying for them to teach you, and therefore give up their time. You're paying for an hour and a half, and you're spending exactly an hour and a half with your instructor.

They sound really good. Mine was like that... bang on time, and she added on time if she was late or whatever.

Be happy with them chum :smile:
Reply 7
So was everyone's first few lessons like this?
When did you begin driving home yourself?
Reply 8
Steviebwoy101

Yeah, again it's part of the lesson driving you home. I'm sure if you want, you can spend 10 extra minutes driving at the quiet place, and she can drop you off there and then go to her next lesson, and you can make your own way home? That way you'd get more driving in for the same price.
Reply 9
In a few weeks (probably) you'll be driving straight from your house yourself :smile:
I began driving home by myself, on the 5th lesson with a different instructor :smile:.
When you get better, you'll be doing all of the driving.
At the beginning, when this happened to me, my instructor used to teach me things about theory or ask me questions- so the time really wasn't wasted. And she spent the beginning while she was driving to the place telling me about what we were going to do in that lesson :smile:
Reply 12
I only got drove to a place to drive for one lesson I think...
Reply 13
I drove home myself on my second lesson. To be fair though, the route home for me from where I first started driving involved a couple of left turns at roundabouts and then a right turn into my street, mainly just driving on an open straight road.

However your instructor will know when it is right for you to start driving home yourself. Until then, you can't expect your instructor to give up 20mins of time and fuel for free.

From my third 1.5hr lesson I was driving myself for the whole time, the next time that I was the passenger was when the instructor drives you home after your test (I passed) :biggrin:
Depending on what the roads are like near your house (and how quick a learner you are) it won't be too long. I actually drove home before I'd 'learnt' to turn right (i.e. at roundabouts and junctions) because it was only 'straight-ons' and lefts to get to my house, and the main roads that led to my house weren't difficult to drive on, though they were faster than those on which I'd learnt (but no corners or anything :p:).

She'll take you out when you're ready :smile: First time I went out, I didn't realise he was taking me out and I swore at him the entire way home while he sat there laughing at me...
Reply 15
MadameBonheur
This sounds fine. You pay for the time spent with the instructor, not for the time you drive for. It's only your second lesson, once you get more experience you'll be allowed to drive home, so you'll get more driving time. :smile:

I drove home on my second lesson? :erm:
Sounds like my instructor, and thats what she should do, but after you'll be able to drive by yourself, she'll let you drive to and from home so you get as much practice as possible.
-beads-
I drove home on my second lesson? :erm:

You're either very good or your instructor is a real daredevil.
Reply 18
I once taught my instructor how to drive.
Reply 19
That sounds fine. Be thankful, mine made me go onto the busiest road from a completely blind corner on my second lesson and then a horrible roundabout too.

Latest