The Student Room Group

Bloomberg Financial Sales Opportunity

Hello everyone,

I have an interview for this position in mid January and have some questions regarding the position and kind of questions/experience they would expect. Anyone who has experience or can offer some friendly advice your input would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of questions will they ask?
What is the process?
What knowledge would they expect?

What is the starting salary (and is there a bonus)?
What are the first few months like?
Whats the progression like at bloomberg?

Any other advice or knowledge on the subject again is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Grad or Intern?
Reply 2
I really admire Bloomberg, the man and the business. I happened across an article called "Bloomberg's money machine" on CNN money, it goes into a lot of detail about the company and how it has gotten to be. It's from 2007, but I found it equally fascinating. It could be useful background information about the company for your interview.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/04/16/8404302/index.htm
Reply 3
Original post by robotic_dancer
Grad or Intern?

Graduate.
I believe its telephone interview, then invited to a day at the office, where you have a series of face-to-face interviews.

The interviews really vary a lot depending on the interviewer and you CV.

They will ask you about Bloomberg, what you know about it, what it does, who its competitors are, why its ahead of its competitors and how it can stay ahead etc. Also they'll ask you what you know about the financial products, what you think you'll be doing in the training over the first few yrs.

Something they are very big on is proving you want to work at Bloomberg, and you aren't just applying because you haven't got the job in banking you want.

My friend got asked, if UBS across the street offer you a job along with us, tell me why you'll turn UBS down and come here.

In all honesty its a difficult scheme to get onto if you have no interest in actually doing it and its a back up, because they'll really go at you as to why Bloomberg over a bank, from many different angles.

The thing they dont want is people going to Bloomberg for a year, receiving the training on the products and developing a good knowledge on financial markets then ****ing off to a bank (even though going from Bloomberg to a BB is not an easy task).
Reply 5
Original post by qwerty12345678
I believe its telephone interview, then invited to a day at the office, where you have a series of face-to-face interviews.

They will ask you about Bloomberg, what you know about it, what it does, who its competitors are, why its ahead of its competitors and how it can stay ahead etc. Also they'll ask you what you know about the financial products, what you think you'll be doing in the training over the first few yrs.

Something they are very big on is proving you want to work at Bloomberg, and you aren't just applying because you haven't got the job in banking you want.

My friend got asked, if UBS across the street offer you a job along with us, tell me why you'll turn UBS down and come here.

In all honesty its a difficult scheme to get onto if you have no interest in actually doing it and its a back up, because they'll really go at you as to why Bloomberg over a bank, from many different angles.

The thing they dont want is people going to Bloomberg for a year, receiving the training on the products and developing a good knowledge on financial markets then ****ing off to a bank (even though going from Bloomberg to a BB is not an easy task).

This is absolutely great advice. Know people who have been there, HATED it and tried to move across to banking. You have to put a timescale on your stay (12-18 months). Don't get sucked in unless you really want to do it, plan your exit and be smart.

PS - only 3 people i know from there managed to get out. Even then, 2 were to a brokerage and 1 prop (he had prior experience).
Reply 6
How hard is it to get an internship at Bloomberg, can anyone shed some light on the application process and then the calibre of people who got accepted?
Reply 7

Thank you very much for your help. Is it an assessment day or is it simply a set of face to face interviews?

How hard is it to get an internship at Bloomberg, can anyone shed some light on the application process and then the calibre of people who got accepted?

Understanding this again would be very very useful.

Also if anyone can point out particularly useful resources, that would be greatly appreciated.
Just had a telephone interview for a summer internship in Sales and Analytics, got told that I am being referred to HR for the programme, and I was under the impression of no final interview/AC, is this correct?
I've been invited to an in-house recruitment event for the internship. It includes shadowing the analytics and sales team and a 45 minute interview. Anyone have any experience/tips for this? Thanks!
Anyone?
Reply 11
Hi, I am applying for this years cycle but can't decide between financial product sales and analytics or global data, since you guys might have gone through the process can you give me a gist of what you did on a daily basis, and what would you advice someone to go for to learn to most...global data or sales? thanks!
Reply 12

Can you please shed some light as to what are the possible exit options after sales & analytics profile at bloomberg as in job opportunities?

Quick Reply

Latest