The Student Room Group

Is 8 hours of revision a day excessive?

Here's the gist.

I have been really daft this semester and not gone to many classes (I kept telling myself it was because I could not keep up with the lecturers when it came to writing notes and generally ended up doodling) Courseworkwise, I'm passing just one of my three modules.
So, to make sure I have a chance at passing, I have devised a timetable:
Every day for 8 hours (in 2 hour slots) I will revise. I also set myself a minimum of 4 past papers a week.

My exams are in two weeks and I'm stressing about them, I am also stressing as my boyfriend and I are house hunting right now AND I'm looking for a job.

With the amount of stress I'm feeling right now, I dont know if 8 hours is excessive, enough or barely enough...
Reply 1
I would say it's enough! As long as you aren't burning yourself out over it, it would be enough and perhaps a little too much. Just make sure you're really making good use of your time, otherwise it will be for nothing. Make sure you take adequate breaks of course. 2 hours revision, 1 hour break etc. Just don't overdo it otherwise when exams roll around you will be frazzled and it'll overwhelm you. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Depends what other commitements you need to fit in (i.e work), but the typical working day 9-5 is 8 hours long, which might only be broken up with an hour or maybe just half an hour for lunch, so 8 hours sitting at a desk concentrating certainly isn't excessive, it will soon be the norm once you graduate.

Good Luck!
No I'm slogging through revisions now cos I didn't study before.
Original post by bammzie
Here's the gist.

I have been really daft this semester and not gone to many classes (I kept telling myself it was because I could not keep up with the lecturers when it came to writing notes and generally ended up doodling) Courseworkwise, I'm passing just one of my three modules.
So, to make sure I have a chance at passing, I have devised a timetable:
Every day for 8 hours (in 2 hour slots) I will revise. I also set myself a minimum of 4 past papers a week.

My exams are in two weeks and I'm stressing about them, I am also stressing as my boyfriend and I are house hunting right now AND I'm looking for a job.

With the amount of stress I'm feeling right now, I dont know if 8 hours is excessive, enough or barely enough...

Yes 8 hours a week of revision excessive. Depends what you call "revising", but it seems a lot (of course if you did nothing during term, maybe it's not even enough ^^).
Reply 5
Keep at it, 8 hours is a nice amount of revision per day
Reply 6
No, especially if you've done no work. I couldn't do it, though. I never revised for anything and don't know how. :X
Reply 7
Depends, I end up revising for hours on end shortly before tests because I cant bring myself to doing it before that - guess I need presure to function.

Anyway, we had maths 2 weeks ago with everything we have learned in the past 5 years and worked on it for about the same each day.

If you can keep to it, do it. But make sure you make breaks, when you feel that you need one.
If you're at uni you should be doing 8 hours of work a day minimum anyway surely :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
If you're at uni you should be doing 8 hours of work a day minimum anyway surely :s-smilie:

Well, I'm really bad at studying during time when I've still got classes, always have been. I was better last semester, but this semester so much has been going on that I haven't done the work.
I'm going through everything I should have done this semester and am drilling it into my skull to make sure I remember it all.
Do however much you feel you personally need to do/can cope with. :dontknow:
Reply 11
Certainly not! I'm usually doing apx. 12 hours per day in the few weeks leading up to my exams.
Reply 12
don't burn yourself out :smile:
Wtf is wrong with you
Original post by amtvp
Certainly not! I'm usually doing apx. 12 hours per day in the few weeks leading up to my exams.

Quick Reply

Latest