The Student Room Group

My 10 most overrated films ever

Scroll to see replies

Napoleon Dynamite. God Awful
Avatar wasn't bad, it was just incredibly pretty but even more incredibly generic.
Also Titanic was just blergh, but hey, I'm a dude :rolleyes:
Reply 21
I can't stand Johhny Depp films where he plays extreme weirdo's but they all get excellent ratings -

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

And the worst offender of all and the most hyped up piece of **** ever -

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
Reply 22
Original post by chou246
Did you not understand the jokes? :tongue:

The way they spell them out in such a bone-crunchingly moronic way I'm not overly sure the scriptwriters did...
Original post by y2k1
Because the main character didn't deserve his punishment. He was pretty much blackmailed by fate to being a 'better' person.

I don't think the 'morale' of the film was to show how he was becoming a better person.
To me it was just him learning to appreciate life, as he realised all the things that he could do with it.
I think it's an excellent film!
Reply 24
Titanic and The Hangover. The Hangover is funny, I'll admit, but nowhere near as much as so many people seem to think it is. SO OVER-QUOTED TOO :|
Original post by chou246

Original post by chou246

Haha, maybe that was it. Naa, I think it was the hype and that people were saying that it was the funniest movie they had ever seen, so I think I built it up way too much in my head.
I liked Pan's Labyrinth, Wall_E and Princess Mononoke. They aren't among my favourite movies but I enjoyed watching them. I didn't like Avatar but it wasn't half as bad as Twilight or Transformers.
Reply 27
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Haha, maybe that was it. Naa, I think it was the hype and that people were saying that it was the funniest movie they had ever seen, so I think I built it up way too much in my head.

Film comedies tend to be really bad. That's why I would have Spinal Tap as one of my favourites.
"Alison in wonderland"... lol
Vampire Diaries or whatever its called.
Reply 30
Original post by y2k1
My god there is a lot of **** posing as 'great'.
2) LOTR part1-so long and ridiculous. Every character speaks in an exaggerated fashion. It's called fantasy

3) Wall_E- The only reason people like this is because they are in some sort of mid-life crises and think that it touches their childhood in someway. In reality there is nothing here. Same with Spirited Away which is just a rip off of Alison in Wonderland and not a very good one. LOL. In what way is Spirited Away a rip-off of Alice in Wonderland?

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device. Grave of the Fireflies is FAAR superior. What does a film having a sad ending have to do with how good it is, or is perceived to be by others?

6. Princess Monoke. I actually like Studio Ghibli. I really do. However, there is so much going on in this film and with so little focus that it's hard to care about how it comes together. Just because a plot is complicated or diverse doesn't mean it's great. Same again. I thought the plot was pretty straightforward, really.

I don't really have much to say about the others, some of which I haven't watched. Plus the films aren't "posing as great;" a lot of people just happen to enjoy them, and there is always a reason for that. Calling films "overrated" is a little pretentious, don't you think?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Philbert
I don't really have much to say about the others, some of which I haven't watched. Plus the films aren't "posing as great;" a lot of people just happen to enjoy them, and there is always a reason for that. Calling films "overrated" is a little pretentious, don't you think?

No because I am right.
Reply 32
'The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus' is the only film I've actually fallen asleep in at the cinema.
Reply 33
Original post by y2k1
No because I am right.

Care to address any of my other points?

On second thought, don't bother. You are clearly a tool.
Original post by y2k1
My god there is a lot of **** posing as 'great'.

1) The Godfather-so ****ing boring. You'd think they would do something other than just sitting in a room around a table. So slow. The acting isn't even that good. The don sounds like he's got cotton balls in his mouth. Oh wait that because he has! Had to use subtitles to understand what is being said. Terrible.

2) LOTR part1-so long and ridiculous. Every character speaks in an exaggerated fashion.

3) Wall_E- The only reason people like this is because they are in some sort of mid-life crises and think that it touches their childhood in someway. In reality there is nothing here. Same with Spirited Away which is just a rip off of Alison in Wonderland and not a very good one.

4. Requiem for a Dream. **** me is this bad. There's not enough plot to last the 12 hours that this film feels like so they fill it with stupid camera shots. Film could had been half as long. Trainspotting wasn't much better either.

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device. Grave of the Fireflies is FAAR superior.

6. Princess Monoke. I actually like Studio Ghibli. I really do. However, there is so much going on in this film and with so little focus that it's hard to care about how it comes together. Just because a plot is complicated or diverse doesn't mean it's great.

7. The King's speech. I dont have anything against it. I can't really fault it on any aspect. It's just kind of there. If this was on ITV without the hype, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the rest of the average films they show. It's not bad, it's just nothing to get excited about.

8. Groundhog Day. The morale of the story is really ****ed up but in an unobvious way. Throughout the film I just kept thinking what the main character did wrong to deserve such a fate (the day repeats over and over). The guy isn't a rapist, a murderer or a drug dealer. He is just an average grumpy guy. He doesn't use his knowledge of no consequences to kill anybody or rape anybody. He didn't deserve it.

9. Avatar. ****ing terrible. Never been so uncomfortable watching a film before. The 3d was crap and the plot and dialogue was even worse. Oh but look at the pretty graphics!

10. The Fighter. I like Christian Bale. Good actor. But the characters themselves just ****ing annoy me. It's like listening to a family argue in a resteraunt. Really a annoying.

Disagree with a lot of what you've said but I'm only gonna comment on a couple of things.

Wall-E, spirited away and the toy story films are good. It's not the films' fault that your such a cynical bastard that you can't lower yourself to enjoy things aimed at kids. Spirited away is not a rip-off of Alice in wonderland. It is far better imo and the similarities are only skin deep.

Wtf are you on about with groundhog day? It's not a punishment. He comes out better at than other end. I wouldn't mind that happening to me. The morale is that self-improvement is better than knowing the future. It also encourages a less cynical approach to life. The morale bit obscure but who the hell wants a film to preach something obvious to them?

I'm surprised you didn't make the connection between Avatar and Dances with wolves. Avatar was not a bad film if you could ignore the poor plot and just enjoy the well-directed action scenes and beautiful graphics. But some people just let cynicism cloud their view.

Watch the latest episode of south park.

One series of films I thought was overrated was the Bourne films. I could not get into them at all. I didn't connect with the protagonist and I found the "gritty" action scenes boring.
Reply 35
the black swan way to overatred

Neg: Why did you like it out of intrest
neg: a certificate 15 should of been 18
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by chou246

I'm sure he didn't. That movie was awesome and hilarious :biggrin:
Original post by y2k1

5. Pans Labyrinth. Just because it aint Hollywood doesn't mean that it's decent and original. So what if the ending is sad? Star wars episode 3 was sad but it was still ****e. Oh and that humming song at the end. So cheap. I saw it coming the first time I heard it. Such a cheap sympathy device. Grave of the Fireflies is FAAR superior.

Why are you comparing Pan's Labyrinth to Grave of the Fireflies? They are two completely different style of films. Surely Princess Mononoke would have been a better comparison for Grave of the Fireflies? I agree that it is an awesome film, as are alot of the films on your list though.
Reply 38
Original post by Drewski
I'll add Titanic. How the hell that won all those Oscars I'll never understand. Turgid is being polite.

Oh, and Superbad. I hoped the title was ironic, but everybody seems to like it. There's no hope for humanity.

I'm glad someone else said Superbad. I sat through the entire thing with this expression: :confused: . If there was any sort of plot I think I must have missed it.
Reply 39
Firstly, it's Princess Mononoke. :|

Any way, I thought the Anchorman was overrated. It's a good film, I found it funny and enjoyed it but I don't think it lived up to everyone's hype.

Quick Reply

Latest