Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Who's doing computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Blacked Out
It's a shared first year, so we will be seeing a lot of each other to begin with. A lot of the modules are shared between subjects, and Computer Science (standard) students have their choice of modules they want to take from any of the specialized courses.

We gon be buds!
And I'm gonna be the only black guy on the course, I know it. :rolleyes:

Make that two black guys. I've never really thought about it until now but this will be the first time I've been in a school where I'm not the only one.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
Yeah i've applied for Computer Science with industry placement but I'll probably transfer to masters or perhaps both depending on placements available. You guys read the C# book that was given at the open day?
Reply 22
Hey, I'm doing computer science with games dev :smile:

I've allready completed a HND in computing at a college and then worked in web dev but chasing the boy hood dream of games dev before it's too late :tongue:

I'm hoping I'm not the only non 18 year old as that would make me feel incredibly old even though I'm only 27 haha!

Really looking forward to meeting you all, I'm young at heart so I'm sure we'll get along fine :biggrin:

P.s I would definately reccomend going through the yellow book that was handed out, it's pretty good and will make the coding side of year 1 a lot less painful the more you can get under you're belt/better understanding if you havn't done any before.
Reply 23
No idea why i came on here, but going into my 3rd year of comp sci at Hull.

With the cources, you can actually change onto the MEng course from BSc during the first 2 years if you want too. As someone mentioned as well, 1st year modules are more or less the same for everyone whatever course (with software, with games, vanilla comp sci) that you're doing, it only really changes in the 2nd and 3rd years.

About the Maths, theres a specific module for the maths which you'll need, if you're not confident with it, or don't have a maths qualification already, you'll probably be asked to do that module.

@poogatch, in my year theres quite a few older students, i wouldn't worry, but even the older guys hang around with the younger ones anyway.

The yellow book will be the focus of one of your modules with Rob Miles, i recommend you do read through it but any problems you'll sort anyway in the module. As a side note, generally people hanging round on the 3rd floor of Robert Blackburn (computer science department) are comp sci students, and would more than likely happily help anyone with problems, the non-academic staff are also really helpful if you have any non-module specific questions. Amanda, the department admin especially.
Reply 24
What is everyone taking computer wise?

I've got a fairly decent laptop but thought about investing in a new desktop. Any current students have any input?
Reply 25
Original post by Gleebo

I've got a fairly decent laptop but thought about investing in a new desktop. Any current students have any input?

I'm bringing an Acer Aspire One 521 netbook. As long as your computer is capable of running basic stuff such as Open GL it should be fine.
Reply 26
Original post by Gleebo

I had the same idea about building a new desktop for uni but with staying in halls id much rather just take my laptop.
Reply 27
Delete
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by poogatch
Hey, I'm doing computer science with games dev :smile:

I've allready completed a HND in computing at a college and then worked in web dev but chasing the boy hood dream of games dev before it's too late :tongue:

I'm hoping I'm not the only non 18 year old as that would make me feel incredibly old even though I'm only 27 haha!

Really looking forward to meeting you all, I'm young at heart so I'm sure we'll get along fine :biggrin:

P.s I would definately reccomend going through the yellow book that was handed out, it's pretty good and will make the coding side of year 1 a lot less painful the more you can get under you're belt/better understanding if you havn't done any before.

Don't worry your not the only old fart, 27 here too :smile:.

Doing Computer Science with Games Development, always wanted to get into the games industry, spent 10 years in IT Support and network admin before finally sticking my neck out and going to uni.

I got an Dell XPS17 lappy for the course, mainly so I can use it for dev, gaming and any graphics stuff, but to be honest, i'll probably regret lugging it around and wish I got a smaller one.

Look forward to meeting you all!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Majic12
Don't worry your not the only old fart, 27 here too :smile:.

Doing Computer Science with Games Development, always wanted to get into the games industry, spent 10 years in IT Support and network admin before finally sticking my neck out and going to uni.

I got an Dell XPS17 lappy for the course, mainly so I can use it for dev, gaming and any graphics stuff, but to be honest, i'll probably regret lugging it around and wish I got a smaller one.

Look forward to meeting you all!

Hey mate, good to know! Quite a similar story to mine as well hehe :smile:

Where abouts are you staying? I turned down a spot in halls because I wanted en suite and could only get taylor court which was way too expensive! I'm in something called the townhouse, it's a hotel that's changing business models to be student accom the rooms are really nice.

I've just managed to blag a replacement laptop on extended warranty which was pretty good timing (I wish I could take credit but my 18 month old daughter took a big wee on it haha), I had a 17" before for web dev and it definately helps but I went for a 15" as the 17" was a monster to carry. I got an inspiron q15r i7 core, has a 1gb dedicated gfx card which I thought would be handy for the game dev stuff as well.
Reply 30
Hey mate, good to know! Quite a similar story to mine as well hehe :smile:

Where abouts are you staying? I turned down a spot in halls because I wanted en suite and could only get taylor court which was way too expensive! I'm in something called the townhouse, it's a hotel that's changing business models to be student accom the rooms are really nice.

I've just managed to blag a replacement laptop on extended warranty which was pretty good timing (I wish I could take credit but my 18 month old daughter took a big wee on it haha), I had a 17" before for web dev and it definately helps but I went for a 15" as the 17" was a monster to carry. I got an inspiron q15r i7 core, has a 1gb dedicated gfx card which I thought would be handy for the game dev stuff as well.

I'm actually local to the area, I've a house in Beverley just outside of Hull so I'll be driving in (still need to recky some decent parking though).

lol @ the laptop, your conversation with the laptop warranty team must have been...interesting :biggrin:

Where in UK are you coming from?
Reply 31
They all had a giggle about it, it got classed as a bio hazard much to my amusement and instantly written off they didn't even want it in as evidence! (a tip I will remember for the future no doubt :tongue:)

I'm actually not far away myself, I've just moved back to Grimsby from Norfolk. I've taken accomodation because of children/other distractions and the cost of commuting (the toll bridge is a sting!). I'll still be going "home" on a regular basis but it will depend on the schedule we are given.

I'm having to apply for a residents permit to park as it is right in the city center, which is proving to be a nightmare!

Have you done any dev stuff in your IT backround? I'm wondering how much I'm going to get out of the first year myself. I'd like to think I've learnt more doing my HND and then a few years of actual work then I'll be taught but you never know :smile:
Reply 32
They all had a giggle about it, it got classed as a bio hazard much to my amusement and instantly written off they didn't even want it in as evidence! (a tip I will remember for the future no doubt :tongue:)

I'm actually not far away myself, I've just moved back to Grimsby from Norfolk. I've taken accomodation because of children/other distractions and the cost of commuting (the toll bridge is a sting!). I'll still be going "home" on a regular basis but it will depend on the schedule we are given.

I'm having to apply for a residents permit to park as it is right in the city center, which is proving to be a nightmare!

Have you done any dev stuff in your IT backround? I'm wondering how much I'm going to get out of the first year myself. I'd like to think I've learnt more doing my HND and then a few years of actual work then I'll be taught but you never know :smile:

I've had little experience programming in work, I started dabbling with coding a couple of years ago in my spare time and recently picked up C++ and XNA. Managed to slap some tile engines and basic games together and hoping for the best really! I've really enjoyed what I've been exposed to so far though.

I imagine since you've done web development and a HND that you'll probably breeze the basic stuff. Whether my experience in networks and hardware/software support will be of any use I shall have to wait and see :smile:.

To be honest i've no idea at what level the first year stuff is gonna be...
Reply 33
I'm guessing that everyone here got their timetable thing for the first week in the post then?
First years a blaze to be honest, I'm about to go into second year I got a first overall for my first year although it doesnt count towards anything, I can put it on my CV I suppose. I'm doing computer science + games development but switching to just computer science so that I can have more choices career wise :tongue:
Reply 35
I've not had my timetable yet, when did you get yours? (they told me it was posted friday but still nothing my end)
Reply 36
I've not had my timetable yet, when did you get yours? (they told me it was posted friday but still nothing my end)

A few days ago now, want me to quickly scan it and post it up here?
Reply 37
that would be great please mate :smile:
Reply 38
In terms of operating systems, does anyone know which operating system we'd be required to use?

Oh, and has anyone actually got a proper reading list or timetable yet?
Reply 39
Original post by AllFallD0wn
Computer Science with Games Development. :biggrin:

I'll be joining you then. Nice to meet you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest