The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

how hard is it to get into LSE???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumos
more competitive than oxbridge, you could argue. I know plenty of people thap applied to both and got into oxford/cambridge but not LSE.

Yeah my friend said that a couple people from his school got into Cambridge but none got into LSE. He says it's because the school sent a terrorist to LSE so now they are blacklisted.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by bramz19
Law, don't watch that.

Rah, wasn't expecting that at all. I was thinking about LSE but a) thought I wouldn't get in and b) thought it would be **** anyway. What's the social aspect like? Loads of public school kids and Oriental aristocrats?
I hope I get in. :emo: I'm clever as fook, ha. :pierre:
Original post by Lumos
more competitive than oxbridge, you could argue. I know plenty of people thap applied to both and got into oxford/cambridge but not LSE.

So do I, I know one girl with an amazing 8A* 2A at GCSE and AAAAA at AS-Level and A* Mathematics but the intense competition for Economics is such that even academic excellence does not assure a place. Although another friend attended a not so well peforming comprehensive school, but compared with the schools average GCSE grades, he had achieved a remarkable set of GCSE grades. Joint courses tend to be less competitive, even so, there is considerable numbers of applying. Competition is intense, however you could be suprised as LSE seem to give offers to those that you would'nt expect to recieve. However it is clear just 25% of places are allocated to Home UK students, with over 50% being International...applying to LSE is the only way to find out if you'll recieve an offer or not! :smile:
Original post by intellectual1
So do I, I know one girl with an amazing 8A* 2A at GCSE and AAAAA at AS-Level and A* Mathematics but the intense competition for Economics is such that even academic excellence does not assure a place.
Bloody hell! :nooo:
Reply 25
Almost as hard as my hard on. Welcome to London.
Original post by lovely_me
Bloody hell! :nooo:

However she did recieve offers from Cambridge, Durham and Warwick though. LSE has the lowest number of places for "Home" students of any English university.
Reply 27
However she did recieve offers from Cambridge, Durham and Warwick though. LSE has the lowest number of places for "Home" students of any English university.

Probably cos she gave so much head.
However it is clear just 25% of places are allocated to Home UK students, with over 50% being International...
Not really. Admissions for international students are considered seperate from admission for home students. Only a set number of home students allowed by the government on each course/university to keep costs down and to keep a certain level of quality. If a course is only allowed 500 home students then that's all they can accept or else face a large fine for each extra student admitted. But as international students pay for the full cost of their degree they don't fit into this quota, thus you (home students) will never lose your allocated place to an international student.
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you always know everything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by bramz19
This is completely and utterly fallacious, I didn't have to kill any applicants... :colone:

But u gave the head right ? :P
Original post by Stricof
Not really. Admissions for international students are considered seperate from admission for home students. Only a set number of home students allowed by the government on each course/university to keep costs down and to keep a certain level of quality. If a course is only allowed 500 home students then that's all they can accept or else face a large fine for each extra student admitted. But as international students pay for the full cost of their degree they don't fit into this quota, thus you will never lose your place to an international student.

Based on observations I saw a high number of Oriental students than any other. One would think just 1 in 4 were British of any kind, it was based upon that view, as well as speaking to a few of them.
Based on observations I saw a high number of Oriental students than any other. One would think just 1 in 4 were British of any kind, it was based upon that view, as well as speaking to a few of them.
Regardless of what other nationalities you see at LSE, more international student allocation \neq less home student allocation.

In anycase, if this issue concerns you so much, you'll be happy to know that Govt is considering allowing universities to allocate spaces for home students at international student rates (i.e. entirely non subsidised by the state by loans or grants). Quotas are kept because of discrepancies in budgets. If this upsets you then I feel you'll be happy to pay the £15- 32k or unlimited fees (depending on the course) per annum.
(edited 12 years ago)
..applying to LSE is the only way to find out if you'll recieve an offer or not!

Good observation :wink:
Reply 34
very.
Original post by AppleBobbing
Good observation :wink:

I see that you study Law LLB at the LSE. May I ask what GCSE grades and AS-Level grades/UMS % and A2 conditions respectively? :smile: It is a lottery recieving an offer for Economics or Law at the LSE especially so.
Reply 36

Have a look at Table I: Overseas students by country of domicile There you will see that there are (in 2010-11) 2057 undergraduate international students. There are 3860 undergraduate students at LSE (according to Wikipedia). Therefore, around 53% are International students.

When you say that only 25% were "British", may be you are thinking of white students? There are many many British ethnic minority students who pay Home UK fees.

However if we are to talk about fees, EU students pay the same as Home UK. According to Table J: Overseas students by continent / commonwealth | EU In 2010-11, 345 students were from the EU. So if 1803 (3860-2057) are Home UK students, then 2148 (1803 +345) pay either Home UK or EU fees. Which means that 55% pay Home UK or EU and 45% pay Overseas.
(edited 12 years ago)
So do I, I know one girl with an amazing 8A* 2A at GCSE and AAAAA at AS-Level and A* Mathematics but the intense competition for Economics is such that even academic excellence does not assure a place. Although another friend attended a not so well peforming comprehensive school, but compared with the schools average GCSE grades, he had achieved a remarkable set of GCSE grades. Joint courses tend to be less competitive, even so, there is considerable numbers of applying. Competition is intense, however you could be suprised as LSE seem to give offers to those that you would'nt expect to recieve. However it is clear just 25% of places are allocated to Home UK students, with over 50% being International...applying to LSE is the only way to find out if you'll recieve an offer or not! :smile:

I had a lot worse than that and got in to do economics, sometimes I wonder if it was a mistake lol

Original post by bramz19
Nope. But notice how I said nothing about not giving head... :colone:

:ahee: Delightful, ain't it? Behold my ambiguous mastery.

Law, don't watch that.

well everyone has to do that
I see that you study Law LLB at the LSE. May I ask what GCSE grades and AS-Level grades/UMS % and A2 conditions respectively? :smile: It is a lottery recieving an offer for Economics or Law at the LSE especially so.

I always cringe a bit when people say I got into LSE due to luck/lottery :tongue:

GCSE - 13A*'s

AS: History 98%, English Literature 87%, Chemistry 100%, Geography 98%

A2 conditions (2010, so no A* in offers): AAA

Offers: Cambridge, LSE.
Original post by loki276
I had a lot worse than that and got in to do economics, sometimes I wonder if it was a mistake lol

well everyone has to do that

nah man even though your grades were not as good as those mentioned, you must've done something, which others did not to impress them. People don't get into LSE by luck, you deserved the place.

Quick Reply