The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Primary Teaching Interview Help

Hi! I have an interview for primary teaching at University of Hull Scarborough Campus on the 11th January and I have been asked to do a 5 minute presentation on something i'm good at.
Unfortunately, i don't have any specific talents :frown: and so very stuck on what to do.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's primary teaching then how about something like how your good at getting on with people and taking responsibility?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
yeah i think that part will be in the interview. The presentation has to be on something we're good at doing. They've given examples like making a paper aeroplane or how to play an iinstrument :smile:
You must be good at something! How about teach yourself some basic origami
http://en.origami-club.com/
Heres some cute instructional videos and sheets. Some of them are very easy but look very skillful :biggrin:
Good luck
Reply 4
ooh thank you! This is very helpful. I'll start learning some then :smile:
Thanks!!
Reply 5
hi there i have interview for hull on 19th dec and im doing origami as its great for interaction and also for showing communication but mainly as i can actually do origami and have been doing it for years lol, what sort of maths stuff and english are you revising,

andy
Reply 6
yeah its a great idea! but i think a lot of people might be doing it so im going to try and think of some more things. i still have a while yet :smile:
Im not sure actually. i dont know what type of things it will include but the tasks shouldn't be too difficult. i have some friends with an interview tomorrow at different uni's so i'll find out what sort of things they're asked.
Good luck with your interview! :smile:
Can you let me know how it goes? Any useful tips and advice would be great!!
Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by becky555

yeah its a great idea! but i think a lot of people might be doing it so im going to try and think of some more things. i still have a while yet :smile:
Im not sure actually. i dont know what type of things it will include but the tasks shouldn't be too difficult. i have some friends with an interview tomorrow at different uni's so i'll find out what sort of things they're asked.
Good luck with your interview! :smile:
Can you let me know how it goes? Any useful tips and advice would be great!!
Thanks

yeah ill let you know offcourse, im hoping tasks wont be to difficult, the origami thing maybe a popular one i dont know but i am deffo doing that as its something i can do well :biggrin: well i hope and the 5 mins is designed to show how u communicate etc and interact with a class of people, and also u will only be in a group of 5 people i expect, i am very nervous lol, i am not sure when interviews atarted as cant find anything before mine, but i dont no, and i am not sure about places , do you have any idea how many people they take?
Reply 8
thanks :smile: i dont think they will be actually. yeah i'll definitely do that if i cant think of any more ideas! no sorry i forgot. they told us at an open day but i cant remember how many places. It's a small campus so it can't be very many.
Reply 9

thanks :smile: i dont think they will be actually. yeah i'll definitely do that if i cant think of any more ideas! no sorry i forgot. they told us at an open day but i cant remember how many places. It's a small campus so it can't be very many.

i think it is about 80 ish but not totally sure, well good luck, what are u revising for maths and english?
Reply 10
Hi, I also have an interview at scarborough on the 19th. So nervous!! My degree is in textiles so I'm planning on doing something textile like, simply because its what I enjoy and have knowledge of. I'm thinking of a simple rosette which can be used for lots of different things, which means I can make one and then show/discuss the ways in which it can be used.

Any info on the questions you get asked would be greatly appreciated, I'm worried about the english written test? Doe anyone know what its like? I'm hoping its a comprehension type thing from the text we've been given.

Trying to read up on anything I can for the individual interview where we're going to be asked about educational issues, there's just so much to think about and remember and I'm very scared about my mind just going blank from nerves!

Regarding places, I was speaking to someone on the course now whilst doing some experience and theres 60 of them this year. I've also read somewhere that theres 66 places for sept 2012, I'm not sure that this is correct tho. I should think it would be a similar amount of places to last year tho
Original post by chloe1402
Hi, I also have an interview at scarborough on the 19th. So nervous!! My degree is in textiles so I'm planning on doing something textile like, simply because its what I enjoy and have knowledge of. I'm thinking of a simple rosette which can be used for lots of different things, which means I can make one and then show/discuss the ways in which it can be used.

Any info on the questions you get asked would be greatly appreciated, I'm worried about the english written test? Doe anyone know what its like? I'm hoping its a comprehension type thing from the text we've been given.

Trying to read up on anything I can for the individual interview where we're going to be asked about educational issues, there's just so much to think about and remember and I'm very scared about my mind just going blank from nerves!

Regarding places, I was speaking to someone on the course now whilst doing some experience and theres 60 of them this year. I've also read somewhere that theres 66 places for sept 2012, I'm not sure that this is correct tho. I should think it would be a similar amount of places to last year tho

hi, i had an interview at hull in november, and now have a conditional offer so if theres anything i can help with id be glad :smile: dont worry about the english test its fine!! good luck! xx
Reply 12
Original post by chloe1402

aw thats such a good idea! i wish i had something i can make but im not particularly crafty. im actually doing a presentation on something i know a lot about and then handing out a short questionnaire, testing the knowledge i would have hopefully taught them about the subject. Do you think this is what they're looking for? im just worried it seems a little off topic.

yeah im quite worried about the maths and science test as well. Does anyone know what sort of questions it will include??
Reply 13
I also have an interview on the 19th, I am really not sure what to do for the presentation. I have been looking on line at current issues in education, for instance the early years review and any new coalition initiatives. Really starting to get nervous now, haven't even taken into consideration the tests for maths and english and what to wear!!!!

Some examples of presentations would be useful, good luck to all who having an interview.
Reply 14
Heya guys! I've got an interview on the 3rd Feb for primary teaching as well, how did your interviews go?! I'm sooo nervous, I have no idea what to expect really!
I agree with what people on this thread are saying, the presentation is so nerve wracking! What did you guys end up doing in the end? x
Reply 15
Original post by Charleyyy!
Heya guys! I've got an interview on the 3rd Feb for primary teaching as well, how did your interviews go?! I'm sooo nervous, I have no idea what to expect really!
I agree with what people on this thread are saying, the presentation is so nerve wracking! What did you guys end up doing in the end? x

i chose to teach about girlguiding because i knew a lot about it. i handed a small quiz as well so they could get involved :smile: but it's really relaxed and you can just have fun with it. :smile: the actual interview is really relaxed as well. its really informal so its not as nervewracking!
i ended up getting an offer so mine went well. just remember to invlolve the audience as much as you can. good luck!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 16
i chose to teach about girlguiding because i knew a lot about it. i handed a small quiz as well so they could get involved :smile: but it's really relaxed and you can just have fun with it. :smile: the actual interview is really relaxed as well. its really informal so its not as nervewracking!
i ended up getting an offer so mine went well. just remember to invlolve the audience as much as you can. good luck!!!! :biggrin:

Ahh brill, thank you! And congratulations!! I think I've decided on a topic for my presentation, just got to practise it and work on my interview answers. Do you mind me asking what sort of questions the interviewer asked? I know you might not allowed to say exactly, but what sort of things did it concern? xx
Reply 17
Original post by Charleyyy!
Ahh brill, thank you! And congratulations!! I think I've decided on a topic for my presentation, just got to practise it and work on my interview answers. Do you mind me asking what sort of questions the interviewer asked? I know you might not allowed to say exactly, but what sort of things did it concern? xx

Thank you :smile: basically what qualities you need to be a teacher and about the subjects that you take now and how it suits teaching, stuff like that :smile: let me know how it goes. im sure you'll do great!
Reply 18
Hey i have a conditional from hull so if anyone wants info about the interview just ask :smile: Good luck xxx
Reply 19
heya, ive got an interview on the 17th of march and am just wondering what the maths paper was like and what kind of questions they were.. also what type of questions they asked you in the indiviudal interview! SO NERVOUS!

thanks xxxx

Quick Reply