The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is it worth me applying for Maths and Physics?

Is it worth me applying for the Maths & Physics course at Warwick? I'm just thinking about it in case I get rejected by Cambridge and Durham. I'm applying for Physics but I've realised how much I enjoy Maths and the course at Warwick looks really interesting. However, I have two main concerns if I do apply:

1. I know there will be quite a lot of people with A2 Further Maths whereas I will only have AS FM at the end of this year. How competitive is the course? I'm wondering how much I'll be disadvantaged.

2. I hardly mentioned Maths in my PS, it is almost entirely Physics based. I talked a bit about the applications of Mathematics to Physics in the first paragraph and a bit in the second paragraph when I discussed relativity, but that's about it. Will this be a big problem?
Original post by vedderfan94
Is it worth me applying for the Maths & Physics course at Warwick? I'm just thinking about it in case I get rejected by Cambridge and Durham. I'm applying for Physics but I've realised how much I enjoy Maths and the course at Warwick looks really interesting. However, I have two main concerns if I do apply:

1. I know there will be quite a lot of people with A2 Further Maths whereas I will only have AS FM at the end of this year. How competitive is the course? I'm wondering how much I'll be disadvantaged.

2. I hardly mentioned Maths in my PS, it is almost entirely Physics based. I talked a bit about the applications of Mathematics to Physics in the first paragraph and a bit in the second paragraph when I discussed relativity, but that's about it. Will this be a big problem?

You can probably get away with AS FM on the Maths side of the course. Vectors and Matrices have been moved into FP1, although I don't know where Differential Equations are (if they are in FP2/FP3, I'd suggest you have a look at it). Although the DEs course in term 1 is OK if you haven't done it, it just means a bit more work in the first term.

Other than that, it should be fine - you have some element of Phys and Maths in your PS, and the Maths Phys course belongs to the Physics dept so it will be that department who looks at your application.

How competitive: About 200 people applied for the 4 year and 75 for the 3 year course in the years 09/10 and 10/11.

The number of people who eventually came here was in 09/10: 35 students for the 4 year course and 10 students for the 3 year.
in 10/11: 54 on the 4 year and 17 for the 3 year.

So applications per place is 4:1 to 5:1 or so, not that competitive compared to the other courses. Don't forget the department will probably make at least twice as many offers to number of entrants (since people might choose somewhere else/miss the offer).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by TheTallOne
You can probably get away with AS FM on the Maths side of the course. Vectors and Matrices have been moved into FP1, although I don't know where Differential Equations are (if they are in FP2/FP3, I'd suggest you have a look at it). Although the DEs course in term 1 is OK if you haven't done it, it just means a bit more work in the first term.

Other than that, it should be fine - you have some element of Phys and Maths in your PS, and the Maths Phys course belongs to the Physics dept so it will be that department who looks at your application.

How competitive: About 200 people applied for the 4 year and 75 for the 3 year course in the years 09/10 and 10/11.

The number of people who eventually came here was in 09/10: 35 students for the 4 year course and 10 students for the 3 year.
in 10/11: 54 on the 4 year and 17 for the 3 year.

So applications per place is 4:1 to 5:1 or so, not that competitive compared to the other courses. Don't forget the department will probably make at least twice as many offers to number of entrants (since people might choose somewhere else/miss the offer).

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I'll be disadvantaged by taking the Maths and Physics course if I decided after that I wanted a career in physics (like research maybe)? I ask because I've only just noticed that the Maths and Physics course does not have a laboratory module. A lot of universities that teach Maths & Physics/Theoretical Physics teach lab modules for at least the first year but not at Warwick. Now I'm not so sure about the degree.
Reply 3
I started MathPhys this year and we do labs in the third year, so you shouldn't be completely sunk if that's what you want to do. It's true that straight Phys do much more of it, though. Also, this is anecdotal and maybe not very helpful, but my personal statement didn't mention maths at all (since I was applying for regular Physics elsewhere), so I don't think they mind. The course is run by the Physics department, anyway.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply. Do you think I'll be disadvantaged by taking the Maths and Physics course if I decided after that I wanted a career in physics (like research maybe)? I ask because I've only just noticed that the Maths and Physics course does not have a laboratory module. A lot of universities that teach Maths & Physics/Theoretical Physics teach lab modules for at least the first year but not at Warwick. Now I'm not so sure about the degree.

Yeah I have had friends who have done this course for 3 or 4 years, and then gone into Physics research. Just get a summer project doing physics and you will be set on lab experience.
you can change from mathsphys to physics after the first year as well if you want :smile:
Original post by goodtogallop
you can change from mathsphys to physics after the first year as well if you want :smile:

And you'd probably be at a massive advantage over us straight physicists if you did (apart from labs perhaps) :tongue:
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
And you'd probably be at a massive advantage over us straight physicists if you did (apart from labs perhaps) :tongue:

although possibly not results-wise, depending on first year maths marks lol!
Keep in mind that maths at Warwick is completely different to A-level, and also takes serious dedication, so if it's just a "I like physics more, but enjoy maths as well"-thing, it might not be a good idea - I know/have heard of many people who swapped from maths & physics to physics after the first year as they didn't like the maths.
Reply 9
Original post by matt2k8
Keep in mind that maths at Warwick is completely different to A-level, and also takes serious dedication, so if it's just a "I like physics more, but enjoy maths as well"-thing, it might not be a good idea - I know/have heard of many people who swapped from maths & physics to physics after the first year as they didn't like the maths.

This is partly why I've applied to study the course, as that way I can change to straight Physics if I'm finding the maths part of the course too difficult. How are you finding Maths at Warwick? I see you're in your second year.
This is partly why I've applied to study the course, as that way I can change to straight Physics if I'm finding the maths part of the course too difficult. How are you finding Maths at Warwick? I see you're in your second year.

Sorry for the slow reply, went to reply a few days ago and forgot :redface:. I'm finding it really good at the moment, it's a lot of work but never gets boring.

Quick Reply

Latest