Reply 100
Going to firm Imperial for Geophysics, offer's A*AAB :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 101
Original post by MRH94
Firming Imperial for Computing :smile: Offer A*AA

Hey!Could you tell me when did u send your ucas appplication and when did u receive your offer?
Reply 102
Original post by Cyco
Woooh, more chemists!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Chemistry department, fire away!

Is it possible to transfer from Geology to Chemistry within the first few weeks/days if you change your mind?
Reply 103
Original post by hash007
Is it possible to transfer from Geology to Chemistry within the first few weeks/days if you change your mind?

They're quite different courses, so it probably wouldn't be an instant swap.
The first point at which most people are allowed swap over is at the end of first term, as it gives you enough time to be certain you want to move.

But even if you apply to change courses internally, it might not be approved.
Reply 104
Original post by Cyco
They're quite different courses, so it probably wouldn't be an instant swap.
The first point at which most people are allowed swap over is at the end of first term, as it gives you enough time to be certain you want to move.

But even if you apply to change courses internally, it might not be approved.

So what are the chances of me being able to change? Shall I email the departments now, I dont want this to have an effect on the offer I already have.
Original post by Cyco
Woooh, more chemists!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Chemistry department, fire away!

Hey there. I would really appreciate it if you could perhaps shed some advice/ knowledge on the flexibility and ease with which we can change chemistry course once there. I have an offer for the 4yr Chemistry with management programme and am thinking that the 3 yr Chemistry and management may be more suitable for my long term career ambitions. Would this be possible once there? Also, how would you describe your timetable in terms of work/ life balance? And the difficulty of workload? Thanks so much! x
Reply 106
Original post by PassionPit15
Hey there. I would really appreciate it if you could perhaps shed some advice/ knowledge on the flexibility and ease with which we can change chemistry course once there. I have an offer for the 4yr Chemistry with management programme and am thinking that the 3 yr Chemistry and management may be more suitable for my long term career ambitions. Would this be possible once there? Also, how would you describe your timetable in terms of work/ life balance? And the difficulty of workload? Thanks so much! x

Hi there,

As the first two years for all Chemistry courses at Imperial are identical, you can wait till the end of the second year, to make up your mind. For undergrads, the maximum amount of time you'll ever be around campus is 9-5 (apart from Wednesdays (9-12)). Depending on your tutorial group, lab group, etc, you might find that you only have to come in for one hour one day, and then 8 hours the next. I'd stick with the 4 year w/Management course.

Aside from lab reports, there are a few things to work on, out-of-hours as it were.
In first year, you'll have quite a lot of time to experience the extra-curricular side
of being a student in London. Your free time will decrease slowly as you progress through your undergrad, but it's not that bad.

As mentioned above, you wont have much work to do, apart from lab reports and some problem sheets for your tutorials. The problem sheets are easy, and so are the lab reports. However, that being said, you do need to put quite a bit of effort to get great lab marks. In Chemistry, your total degree mark is made of 50% exams and 50% labs/coursework. All the little lab reports add up, so they're well worth trying hard for.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 107
Original post by hash007
So what are the chances of me being able to change? Shall I email the departments now, I dont want this to have an effect on the offer I already have.

There's normally a quick meeting between the senior tutors of the departments, and as long as you've worked hard in your original subject, and know what you're getting yourself into, your chances of swapping aren't that bad. They will probably wonder why you wanted to go for your original course, if you want to leave it so soon, but that's up to them.

I don't have any experience of people swapping courses before getting their results and a place confirmed so I'm not sure. On one hand, you've already got an offer, which many people don't - you could play it safe, and once you've gotten to Imperial, then ask to swap. Or there's the "you've nothing to lose" side of things where you point out that you're interested in a completely different course in a different department, and you were wondering if you could swap. They might swap you over with no problems, or they might redact your offer, and ask you for an interview in the second department. I'm afraid I'll leave that choice to you.
Original post by Cyco
Hi there,

As the first two years for all Chemistry courses at Imperial are identical, you can wait till the end of the second year, to make up your mind. For undergrads, the maximum amount of time you'll ever be around campus is 9-5 (apart from Wednesdays (9-12)). Depending on your tutorial group, lab group, etc, you might find that you only have to come in for one hour one day, and then 8 hours the next. I'd stick with the 4 year w/Management course.

Aside from lab reports, there are a few things to work on, out-of-hours as it were.
In first year, you'll have quite a lot of time to experience the extra-curricular side
of being a student in London. Your free time will decrease slowly as you progress through your undergrad, but it's not that bad.

As mentioned above, you wont have much work to do, apart from lab reports and some problem sheets for your tutorials. The problem sheets are easy, and so are the lab reports. However, that being said, you do need to put quite a bit of effort to get great lab marks. In Chemistry, your total degree mark is made of 50% exams and 50% labs/coursework. All the little lab reports add up, so they're well worth trying hard for.

Good luck with your application!

Oh wow thank you so much! I think all us chemists out there do value your wisdom alot haha. Whilst on the topic I just have a few more things to clarify if that's okay...

Any reasons for why you would advise staying with the 4yr course?

And the practical side of Imperial is definitely an important part of the course; I was told by a second year at the interview day that the approximate weighting of exams: labs is 60:40? And when you refer to coursework is that coursework which is non - related to labs... 50:50 is quite a change from A - level. Approximately how much emphasis of your final year mark from the years is placed on each.... I was also told that the majority of students struggle to achieve upper second/ first class honours but do correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers :smile: x
Reply 109
Oh wow thank you so much! I think all us chemists out there do value your wisdom alot haha. Whilst on the topic I just have a few more things to clarify if that's okay...

Any reasons for why you would advise staying with the 4yr course?

And the practical side of Imperial is definitely an important part of the course; I was told by a second year at the interview day that the approximate weighting of exams: labs is 60:40? And when you refer to coursework is that coursework which is non - related to labs... 50:50 is quite a change from A - level. Approximately how much emphasis of your final year mark from the years is placed on each.... I was also told that the majority of students struggle to achieve upper second/ first class honours but do correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers :smile: x

I've just checked and I had thought that the 4 year course gave a MSci, so ignore that. Unless you really want to continue into post-graduate eduction, stick to the 3 year course. Sorry about that confusion.

When I meant coursework, I meant practically everything that isn't exam-based i.e. labs, workshops, presentations, and problem sheets.

For the normal 4-year MSci course, the weighting is 10/20/30/40 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, respectively. Whatever course you go on at Imperial, the first year is always worth something, unlike some Oxbridge courses. With the management course, the 3 year course has a year ratio of [1/2/2], and the 4 year course is [1/2/3/2].

In my year, about 80% got 1/2:1 which was quite good. A few got 2:2s and about 3 got thirds. I don't think anyone failed :eek:. We tell everyone that it's hard to do well, but that's only to push undergrads into working harder :P.
Reply 110
Firming Imperial for EEE (38 IB points offer)
When should we start checking for accommodations???
Reply 111
Original post by xch
Firming Imperial for EEE (38 IB points offer)
When should we start checking for accommodations???

Applications for accommodation are sent out in May.

Might as well start at looking at what is available now though :smile:.
Going to firm Imperial for medicine. Gap year student so conditional on proof of results.
Original post by italienmoose
Going to firm Imperial for medicine. Gap year student so conditional on proof of results.

I'm in the same situation (except I've firmed for chemistry!). Do you know any more details about how we go about doing so with regards to proof of results?
I'm in the same situation (except I've firmed for chemistry!). Do you know any more details about how we go about doing so with regards to proof of results?

I was wondering that. I'm a bit clueless with the post-offer part of the UCAS process.
Reply 115
Original post by italienmoose

You send them copies of your certs - simple as. :smile:
Reply 116
Pretty sure I'm going to firm my Imperial offer.
A*AAA for mechanical engineering :smile:
Reply 117
Hey,

Does anyone know when we are required to pay our tuition fees at Imperial?
And accomodation fees?
Are we able to divide the payment? Or do we have to pay all at once?

I am an international applicant, so this information is very important for me.:rolleyes:

Thank you!
Just want to remind people that here is the ICL's Freshers Group for people who are firming:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197209050356534/
Reply 119
Definitely going to firm :smile: offer for Mech Eng A*AAA

Latest

Trending

Trending