The Student Room Group

You do need GCSEs...don't you?

I'm personally working hard on my GCSEs, but there's one boy who I (unfortunately) know who refuses to go to school "because GCSEs aren't needed in what I want to do". He's going to get nothing - not even English Lang. and Maths - and to be honest, I'm so confused on what he could actually do. I'm pretty sure most on TSR won't ever have needed to think about this, but what actually can you do without GCSEs? Can't get into colleges obviously, but I always thought internships wanted qualifications as well? I'm curious, because I can't work out how anyone could think that :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I cannot think of anything except for possibly getting involved in a family business
Reply 2
Sports coaching, you can work your way up through the badges from scratch.
No GCSE's, well...

Obviously, no college and higher education. Why is he refusing to do GCSE's anyway? I mean, these days, you need them, otherwise you end up nowhere. Setting up your own business doesn't require any GCSE's. Think about Richard Branson and possibly Alan Sugar...
Modelling, film directing, acting, singing, dancing, being a bodyguard, sports trainer... i'm sure you can think of more
Original post by justanotherindigo
Why is he refusing to do GCSE's anyway?.

Beause he's an over dramatic, ungrateful tit :smile:
Original post by brendonbackflip
Beause he's an over dramatic, ungrateful tit :smile:

That's a bit sad:frown: Good Luck to you anyway, I hope you do well:smile:
Reply 7
There are a few careers which don't require GCSE qualifications, nevertheless, those jobs are more likely to go to those with qualifications even if they aren't required.

Oh, and you'd think things like dancing don't require any qualifications but I know a few people who went to stage schools to become dancers, and they all needed A-levels. Obviously there are a handful of places which don't require any qualifications at all.

At the end of the day it's his loss. He's more likely to succeed in whatever he plans to do, if he gets some GCSE's and then goes to college or whatever. I'd say his chances of getting a job without any qualifications are pretty slim, considering how hard it is for qualified people to get jobs.
Reply 8
Army? Or do you need GCSEs for that...
Reply 9
Not even English and Maths? Wow, his options really are restricted in that case.
Poundland :smile:
no you just take them for ****s and giggles

Of course you do.
I actually find it rather sad that the vast majority of people on this website see formal qualifications as the be all and end all. Yes, they are extremely beneficial but formal education simply is not for everyone, and many people find it extremely oppressive. There are many, many entrepreneurs and individuals working in the arts who have no qualifications. Intelligence goes beyond being booksmart and following the rules of society, some people are able to go beyond the restrictions imposed by those claiming that letters on a piece of paper are needed to get by in life.
Original post by CLARA_
Army? Or do you need GCSEs for that...

You need at least GCSEs, and if you want to go into something a little higher than junior, you need A levels.
Drug dealing? :s-smilie:
Original post by electric-wars
I actually find it rather sad that the vast majority of people on this website see formal qualifications as the be all and end all. Yes, they are extremely beneficial but formal education simply is not for everyone, and many people find it extremely oppressive. There are many, many entrepreneurs and individuals working in the arts who have no qualifications. Intelligence goes beyond being booksmart and following the rules of society, some people are able to go beyond the restrictions imposed by those claiming that letters on a piece of paper are needed to get by in life.

That's true, but letters on a piece of paper make life a lot easier.
Reply 16
Why don't you just ask him since you're curious.
I think a lot of emphasis is placed on getting GCSEs when it may not be entirely true. To move onto the next step of education they're vital. To find a job I'm not so convinced. I still think at the low levels of the job market it's much more about who you know and how lucky you are than what you know. Especially as if I'm honest GCSEs don't actually give you much applicable acknowledge they just show you don't have an extra chromosome.

All you can do is try to convince him and then wish him the best of luck whatever his decision. Your life will be easier with GCSEs so just do for that alone.
Original post by onesoulfortwo
That's true, but letters on a piece of paper make life a lot easier.

I completely agree. What I don't agree with is the 'academia or death' collective mentality that is often so prevalent on this website.
Original post by electric-wars
I completely agree. What I don't agree with is the 'academia or death' collective mentality that is often so prevalent on this website.

Yup! It isn't impossible without academia. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest